Saint Ren

So Iconic - User OT Month 4 April , May AND June
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,176,025
REVIEW: SOMEDAY OR ONE DAY
Written By: Saint Ren
someday-or-one-day.png

When it comes to Dramas, I am incredibly picky. On a yearly basis, I start perhaps 6 Dramas and I only finish 2 or 3. In 2020, the three I completed were 'Extraordinary You', 'Itaewon Class' and 'Someday or One Day'.

Out of the three, 'Someday or One Day' was just head and shoulders above the rest. It's so incredible that it's now one of my all-time favourite shows ever, from any genre or country.

Let me explain why.

header-sood-1.png

'Someday or One Day' is the first ever Taiwanese drama I have watched and it was magnificent. It's poignant, gorgeous and has a little bit of everything. It is a beautiful love story, a mystery and a sci-fi/fantasy time travel story—all framed around a school/youth drama. Plus, you get to stare at Greg Hsu for 13 hours.

In the first episode, we're introduced to Huang Yu Xuan (Alice Ke)

somedayoroneday_89740252_521366025453954_3258033061973720102_n_1024.jpg

The year is 2019 and Yu Xuan is a 27-year-old working at a tech company. We soon discover that she's grieving her boyfriend, Wang Quan Sheng (Greg Hsu), who died two years ago under mysterious circumstances.

Although everyone around her urges her to move on, Wang Quan Sheng was the love of her life so Yu Xuan holds onto hope that somehow he’s alive and continues searching for him.

dd1ff0fd9e7f0c304104f890c75cbcb59afc2f3b.gifv

97241d742055ff763e85ccf5cd1c471b855a93d1.gifv

Yu Xuan's search leads her to a discovery that in 1998, Chen Yun Ru and Li Zi Wei were classmates. The odd thing is that the two classmates look identical to Yu Xuan and her boyfriend.

Someday-or-one-day-1.gif

someday-or-one-day-6.gif

Yu Xuan then sets off to find out why identical versions of the two of them existed 21 years earlier. Her discovery soon leads her to realise that everything is connected and that the four of them are in fact doppelgängers.

In her search for answers, she finds herself transported into Yun Ru’s body in 1998 where she then begins to unravel the mystery surrounding how her life is inexplicably intertwined with that of her doppelgängers.

Yu Xuan has a tight deadline though, for things in 1998 aren't as rosy as they seem and Wang Quan Sheng isn't the only one that went missing.

With multiple lives on the line from different timelines. Yu Xuan has to race against the clock to unlock the mystery of her boyfriend's disappearance in 2017 and how that connects to two teenagers from the '90s.

'Someday or One Day' has excellent pacing and an engaging plot, with 13 bingeable episodes. Moreover, it has clear-cut rules to the sci-fi/time travel element, so it won't frustrate you and leave you feeling as if writers seemingly made things up as they went along.

The storyline is structured and well thought out. Furthermore, the main cast is incredibly loveable with not just the two main leads taking centre stage, but also our lead's best friend, Mo Jun Jie (Patrick Shih).

1*S-Y6FdTdw6JgJIDNCWMwdQ.jpeg

someday-or-one-day.jpg

'Someday or One Day' achieved record-breaking ratings and immense love from viewers. In fact, lead actors Greg Hsu and Patrick Shih are considered to be Taiwan’s next-generation stars— and the nation’s boyfriendsand I can see why. Their performance was heartfelt and left an impact on me.

Overall, each episode kept me engaged and left me with so many thoughts and feelings. Every time I promised I would go to sleep, the ending would floor me with a new twist or a shocking predicament taking place that I simply had to press the next button. I finally succumbed to sleep around episode eight, with the early morning sunshine peeking through my windows and the streets stirring with noise. I was thankful I started the show on a Saturday night, as I was able to finish the rest of the episodes as soon as I awoke on Sunday.

This show is a rollercoaster of a ride. If you like romance, time travel and mystery, along with a feisty female lead, you will love this show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭468,659
I finally succumbed to sleep around episode eight

When I say that I did not sleep when I watched this drama, the struggle to watch it all in one go beat out my will to sleep.
This drama was fantastic, Greg Hsu was adorable, and I can't wait to see even more of his works in the future
(though someday or one day will likely remain one of my favourites by his for years to come)

Top Bottom