abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
ab67616d0000b273944a71c1c4341ae3e76b1bcd

Batten Showjo Tai (English name: Batten Girls) were in a crisis after being dropped by their music label last summer. Their management responded by forming their own label "Batten Records" before making their return with the album "Fun". The success of the album alleviated fears for their future as the group is now looking more popular than ever following the breakout success of the promotional track "OiSa". You can read my review of the album below.

Funtasy

At only 1 minute long, "Funtasy" does not work as a song by itself but it works as an introduction when listening to the album from start to finish. The track has no singing but its eerie instrumentals and spooky voice samples convincingly build up to a crescendo towards the end.
unrated/10

Swingin' Time

It's only with "Swingin' Time" that we're truly introduced to the themes of the album: danceable brass-heavy tracks with a fun twist. The contrast between the nigh overwhelming instrumental and the cute vocalisation is tied together nicely by the aspirational lyrics in this love song. While the song is a great listen throughout the standout moments are the instrumental explosion of the chorus and the funky bridge section.
8/10

MILLION SUMMERS

If there was a lot going on in "Swingin' Time", "Million Summers" takes that idea to another level. The song is driven by prominent drum and guitar play but manages to press multiple distinct sections into a small package. A slightly childish pop chorus, rap breaks, beat drops and heavy metal sections all somehow manage to come together in something approaching harmony. And the song ends with a sample of fireworks, because why wouldn't it.
7.5/10

OTOMEdeshite

In "OTOMEdeshite" Batten Girls give their take on the common idol theme of a high-school girl experiencing unrequited love. The lyrics tell the story of a clumsy girl for whom nothing seems to work out. She's in love with the most popular boy in class but she can't admit it and he doesn't notice her. But despite the mostly negative lyrics this funky idol rock song can only be described as uplifting and full with positive energy and the girl in the story clearly loves herself and is full of self-esteem despite her setbacks.
8.5/10

Distance

"Distance" makes a clear attempt at making a splash on tiktok with the speech-singing at the start. This is also the least impressive part of the song, which is otherwise funky and mildly catchy. The vocals in this song could be a bit hit or miss in some places but I personally like them and thing they contribute by giving the song a raw vibe.
7.5/10

OiSa

"OiSa" is the promotional song for the album and it could not be any more obvious as it has obvious single potential and is a significant departure from the sound of the rest of the album. Gone is the warm and uplifting theme that the listener is used to; it has been replaced by a much harsher sound in both instrumentals and vocals. It is easy to miss that Oisa is a festival song about having fun. Oisa is Batten Girls' most successful song so far and it is easy to see why. When I first listened to this song I was confused and didn't know if I liked it or not but before long I found myself mindlessly repeating the same few words over and over. Oisa oisa oisa.
9.5/10

Dancer In The Night

"Dancer In The Night" is Batten Girls first attempt at a city pop release. It is a surprisingly low-key and sultry release from a group that is usually at their best when they can bring more energy which can make it a bit forgettable in comparison. It's not a song I would go out of my way to listen to but it is great easy-listening and it's a song I love listening to when I'm in a mellow mood.
7.5/10

Jan! Jan! Jan!

"Jan! Jan! Jan!" is Batten Girls back at their energetic best. The lyrics are all about being positive and having fun by dancing and singing and the upbeat instrumental reflects that. Lyrically Batten Girls mix calls of "let's party!" with requests to play Beethoven and professions of wanting to be like Joan D'Arc and free France from the English ASAP. Jan! Jan! Jan! is one of the most fun songs on the album.
8.5/10

Arigato-to

"Arigato-to" is one of the simpler songs on the album. The song is an uptempo pop song with very heavy rock influences that is very pleasant to listen to if slightly forgettable. The song is at its best when the heaviest rock elements come in but there is also something very pleasant about the chorus that I can't really put my finger on.
7/10

Dear My Blues

"Dear My Blues" sees Batten Girls dabble in something resembling country music with a hint of hard rock. The song isn't very catchy and some of the verses are forgettable but the song is expertly crafted and all the sections which might be lackluster individually fit together brilliantly with a beautiful chorus as the cherry on top.
8/10

Just Mean It!

"Just Mean It!", the second promotional song from the album, represents another departure from its themes with its more electronic sound and lack of brass instruments. This song about working out and getting stronger features a prominent electric guitar (I'm not a music expert so idk) sound bite which defines it and while the song is not very catchy it is very groovy.
8.5/10

Over

"Over" is a standard fare pop ballad driven by an acoustic guitar. It is listenable but a bit generic.
6.5/10

Album score: 8.5/10
The best thing about the album is that it is completely free of duds and no songs that destroy the listening experience; I happily listen to every single song individually or as a package which is something I can't always say about full albums. There are several highlights like OiSa, OTOMEdeshite, Jan! Jan! Jan! and Just Mean It! It's an album I happily come back to and I hope the group's releases continue to hold this quality.

Stannie

Philippians 4:11-13
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,001
Really nice review! I took your suggestions and listened to the high rated tracks and they were all so much fun and fit the summer mood. Just Mean It! and OiSa are my favorites from the ones I listened to.

Chomiczewska

Hamster First Place HoE Chomi
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭25,439,149
A really nice review abra :heartublob: It was also a fun album to listen to, my fave is Dancer in the night, I'm trash for citypop, Jan! x3 and Just Mean It :bakacat:

ARandomFan

(っ◔◡◔)っ<3 Content+ Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭772,545
Pronouns
idk
Thanks for the review! When I have the time I’ll listen to the full album :partydogo:

sm maid

Global Star Administrator Events VIP+ Eighth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,060,604
Pronouns
She/Her
just mean it is a bop :poggers:

Vampire

Astarion approves. Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭156,409
oh, i remember awhile ago when you recommended me OTOMEdeshite! i can't listen to everything right now, but i definitely will later :wow: thanks for the review

Bellamy

Be strong, be brave〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭29,760,214
Pronouns
She/Her
Interesting and nice review. 👏 👏 👏 My fav is Just Mean It.

Top Bottom