Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭466,259
SINGLE REVIEW: “SiS - NIGHT SURFING”
Written by: Polaris_Tae
5MDnVYh.png

SiS not to be confused with the Kpop group of the same nameis a Chinese-Thai idol group consisting of three members, Pam (Pamiga Sooksawee), Veegee (Xu Wenjie) & NoNo (Hong Yinuo) and is under the management of WAJIJIWA Entertainment as the company's only fixed girl group. The company is best known for hosting acts such as XNINE and Mao Buyi, as well as the home to all the resulting groups formed from the "Produce 101 China" series — namely Rocket Girls 101, R1SE & Bon Bon Girls 303. SiS was formed following the conclusion of the survival show "The Coming One Girls" — however, they were not formed directly as a result of the show, but rather put together by the company afterwards and debuted in January 2020 with the digital single, "My Dear". The group, however, suffered a setback right after debut, with the coronavirus pandemic forcing any chances of promotions — be it at festivals, variety, etc — to reach a staggering halt and SiS lost any momentum they may have had as a group belonging to one of the largest and most successful idol-focused companies. However, where a company like Yuehua succeeds in marketing its permanent groups to the general public, WAJIJIWA has largely failed on that front. Their only fixed idol group, XNINE, has been on hiatus since 2016 with almost all of the members going on to pursue solo careers or debuting in other groups (see R1SE with three members of XNINE within the 11-member line-up or Xiao Zhan's continued success as a soloist)

Read the lyrics here (Translated by Vanilla Cupcake for Hallyu+)

The group recently participated in the Chinese group competition show, "We Are Blazing", which has effectively allowed the group to showcase their skills as performers, while at the same time exploring new pathways in performances that were relatively unknown to them before, which can be seen on the second episode of the series — SiS, despite debuting as idols, were actually put together for their vocals following season 3 of "The Coming One" which is more vocally focused when compared to Tencent's other survival show "Produce101 China". After being eliminated from the show on the fourth episode of "We Are Blazing", the group is back and stronger than ever with a great new digital single, "Night Surfing", their third single release since their 2020 debut that almost anyone is bound to enjoy right from the first listen!

8B8wqyQ.jpg

"Night Surfing" is a bright and retro EDM-inspired dance track that talks about facing your fears and putting your best foot forward to step out and face the challenges of today's society even if they aren't quite ready for it seen in the lines:

"Handwriting is all skewed, a young girl trying high heels / In the middle of the night don’t slack off, finish all the work first / All types of experiences like the orchestra, allow the bomb Bomb by the ear".

I found that the music video complimented the song perfectly. It takes the already established concept of the weariness and nervous aspects of stepping out of your childhood and into adulthood with responsibilities, and gives it a storyline! We see the girls at the beginning messing around at a school or the library only to see them swamped by responsibilities later in the video, which goes to show just how quickly life and responsibilities can catch up with you. One of the things that I absolutely loved about the music video was the styling especially the eyepatch-goth aesthetic which I had only seen utilised in a few animes, and never in real life, before but found that all of the girls pulled off the look perfectly.

If there was one active C-pop group that I could convince you to listen to, it would be SiS. Even though they have very few group releases under their belt due to the group being relatively new, they are yet to have a release that I have disliked. While "Night Surfing" is nowhere near the range of "My Dear" in terms of emphasis on the groups' vocal ability, it does help the group further explore the path they set themselves on through their short time on "We Are Blazing" through the incorporation of choreography, while at the same time continuing the bright and youthful concept that the group has previously established through their second digital single, "Let's Nestogether".

One of the best things about having a smaller group, as is the case of SiS, is that the line distribution and screentime are relatively equal, which cannot be said for groups any larger than four — Rocket Girls for instance, with 11 members, often had very uneven screentime within their music videos where you would be lucky to catch a glimpse of your bias for a close-up shot for over three seconds, RIP my bias, Fu Jing. Therefore, each of the members has much more equal screentime while at the same time managing to prove themselves as one of the best upcoming vocal focused groups within the Chinese idol industry and despite promoting a synth-heavy pop song, a genre that often drowns out the vocals, they manage to both, sound stunning while also giving us a great new image of the group, that they have been slowly establishing for themselves since at least "Let's Nestogether" (if not before).

In my opinion, SiS is the C-pop group to listen to if you have been left unsatisfied by many major Chinese idol groups (or idols in general) that have left you unsatisfied with often inconsistent music that leaves you wanting for more. I firmly believe that "Night Surfing" will end up being one of my favourite pop-focused releases this year from one of my favourite girl groups that, in my opinion, are yet to release a bad song, while at the same time exploring the message of growing up too fast in an ever-evolving world.

Artistic Creativity: 8.5/10
Vocal Quality: 10/10
Music: 9/10

9.1/10

PROOFREAD BY: @Dragon of the West
GRAPHICS BY: @jindori

Last edited:

Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭466,259
I'm always a sucker for retro-inspired tracks and this one is no exception! That chorus is also incredibly catchy!

It's such a great song. They haven't released a bad song yet! Can't wait for their next release!

Also, if you're into retro... I'mma rec you this.
This group is mainly known for doing Traditional-EDM fusion songs but spiced their discography up with this disco-inspired release last year:

Top Bottom