Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,408,415
Pronouns
He/Him
SINGLE REVIEW: WEKI MEKI - "DAZZLE DAZZLE"
Written by: Frandae

qlfe3SQ.jpg

Weki Meki is a girl group under Fantagio Entertainment that debuted in 2017 with 'I don't like your Girlfriend' and it consists of 8 members: Suyeon, Elly, Yoojung, Doyeon, Sei, Lua, Rina and Lucy. It's remarkable to say that half of the group participated in season 1 of Produce 101: Elly, Yoojung and Doyeon under Fantagio Entertainment and Sei under LOUDers Ent, although only two made it and debuted in I.O.I.: Yoojung and Doyeon.

The group made their comeback on the 20th of this month with their first digital single album 'DAZZLE DAZZLE', which marks their 4th single in a row since 'KISS, KICKS' in 2018. Their overall concept as a group, according to Fantagio and the girls themselves is "teen girl crush" , and they showed their charms and different sides through their latest releases. After taking a hiatus during 'Tiki Taka (99%)' promotions due to health issues, Yoojung is back and the group is complete again to promote their newest song.

'DAZZLE DAZZLE’ is a bright and cheerful dance pop track and it talks about the girls not being impressed that easily by the ones they like; if you really want to be with them, you need to try your best to impress with your best efforts. The song starts with heavy instrumentals and sounds to transit into some more uplifting ones, creating a more cute and bright vibe, making it perfect for spring and summer. That joyful feeling that the song expresses slowly loses its momentum when you are about to finish the song; its structure and general sound is a bit repetitive and lacks of actual variety in its verses to bring something different. Aside from that small point, the pre-chorus and chorus are very catchy and addictive and you will find yourself singing "dazzle dazzle dazzle me" accidentally in the middle of your day.

njyGT25.png

Vocally I have to say I was very pleased because the members' colours are shown a lot. Line distribution wise, I think it's their fairest title track; in their past releases only two or three members got to shine and the others had very few lines (some of them even only had two words), but in 'DAZZLE DAZZLE’ all of them got to shine and show what they are capable of.
Some remarkable parts of the song are Elly's lines since she is the one that leads the way and sings the key parts of it, Doyeon and Suyeon's combination in the bridge from 1:59 to 2:18 (my personal favourite part) since it adds a very relaxing and different vibe that the song needed so much, and Lucy's and Lua's "Dazzle dazzle me" and small raps through all the track; it's true that these two are the ones with the least amount of lines in this song but, even then, I think they are very impactful and they will be the ones that people will sing and remember the most.

The concept this time is more girly, glamorous and chic with a hint of mystery; this is seen in their first set of teaser pictures where pastel colors are more prominent, while in the other hand, the second set of teasers are darker with purple and red colors and with glitter effects. The MV takes place in a set where flower decorations are very prominent, which helps to set the mood for the general vibe of the sound and it fits the current spring season. Dressed in white, pink and blue outfits, the girls are seen dancing around and posing in this scenery filled with all kind of different flowers, elegant furniture, and bright and delicate colours.

Overall the song is pretty good but lacks a bit of impact; I expected it to have a very catchy chorus with more energy to make you sing out of your lungs in a very excited way, but it wasn't the case this time since the chorus is produced in a low-key vibe and it's missing of a very "loud" and surprising sound. As I already mentioned before, it needs more contrasts in its melody because it lacks a bit of variation and different sounds, at least until the bridge which serves as a turning point, that in my opinion, should have been longer and maybe have a third member to show her vocals while harmonizing with Doyeon and Suyeon too.

aSDwBH3.png

In conclusion, this song is perfect to take your mind off your problems for a bit and just enjoy some catchy and repetitive sounds and melodies that will be stuck in your head through all the day. It's for people who are just looking for a fun and non-complicated song to listen to with the goal to light up their mood. As I already said before, it's true that music wise it might not meet the expectations they built up with their latest 'Picky Picky' and 'Tiki Taka (99%)' but it's still worthy to give it a listen!

Artistic Creativity: 8.5/10
Music: 8/10
Vocal Quality: 9/10

Overall Rating: 8.5/10

PROOFREAD BY: @Andrea

GRAPHICS BY: @Frandae

Last edited:
A

Aerith

Yeah, I agree with what you said about being repetitive :sejeongcry:

I expected more. I still like it though and it is still catchy but it has some issues. Thanks for the review Frannie and CONGRATS ON YOUR WRITING DEBUT.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600
congrats on your first article fran :heartublob:
honestly i love it alot, i still listen to it as it's so catchy, and my fav part is also the bridge!
but i agree with u that it lacks that extra push to make the song more impactful​

Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭667,759
Congrats on your first review!
I hadn't heard a Weki Meki song prior to this and imo it's one of my favourite KPop girl group songs so far this year ~
I don't really care ab line distribution considering my fave group has like 11 members lol so that's a non issue for me. Anticipating more god-tier releases in the future​

miatheikonic

✶ Zactheik💍nic ✶ VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭200
And who would have ever thought this is Frannie's debut :omgwhat: amazing job and congrats cutie :heartublob:

I think I overall enjoyed song more than you, but I have to agree with your points, some parts could go a bit more hard

Andrea

in Twice Square
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭307,185
It was such a pleasure to work together, nice article!

About the song, I got to say that I have been listening to it more than I expected, it's pretty catchy. As I told you already, it obviously doesn't come close to Crush, Picky Picky or Tiki Taka, but I hope they're saving their best for the next release (hopefully an album).

rosie

• ♔ • Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭17,750
Congrats on your first review Frannie :love:

I absolutely love their styling

fromisSakura

Jelly | Seoyeon best girl VIP+ Donor Early SupportersTop Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,618,600
Nice review Frandae! Personally I don't mind it being repetitive since the song is very catchy. I agree that ths linea distribution is fairer this time too. Elly totally shine for me this era with how beautiful her voice is in this song.

I have to say that Dazzle Dazzle is one of my most favourie release this year so far

Top Bottom