Sleeping advice

yerm

I can make the beat go! Graphics Lead Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,505,706
Pronouns
she/her
I love to sleep but sleep does not love me.

I have a very active mind the second I try and still myself so lying in bed at night does not result in sleep easily. I've tried lavender (smells nice but I haven't noticed any difference) and listening to podcasts/audiobooks (sometimes works?) but eh...

Preferably I would like to be asleep before 3 am for once... currently it seems I'm falling asleep between 2 and 3 no matter when I go to bed.

Any ideas?

I am depressed

yerm

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,505,706
Pronouns
she/her
Exercise/be active. Essentially, find ways to burn off that excess energy.
I guess once I get the bike I'm saving for that will help :jinjudge: I've never really been an exerciser because asthma but maybe soon I could be

hatmixx

Ain't Nobody Fifth Place HoE VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭34,300
Pronouns
No Sana No Life
I guess once I get the bike I'm saving for that will help :jinjudge: I've never really been an exerciser because asthma but maybe soon I could be

i've always been a night owl. but times when i was active i would be unable to stay up like i do. now i tha ti'm more sedentary, i can't fall asleep early ever.

5e879112455fd1039ec51538057a1bd91a3b90ce.gif

ZikyungDerp

Khaleesi of House Targaryen Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭537,060
When I was in camp as a kid, I had a hard time sleeping and one of the ladies there taught me this trick that has stuck with me ever since: usually the reason people have trouble falling asleep (note: this doesn't apply to everyone) is because they let their mind wander and think too much. Her tip to combat that (which I always do when I have trouble falling asleep) is to do the following:

Count slowly up to 20 in your head, picturing each number and sounding them out in your mind. When you get to 20, count back down to 0. When you get to 0, count back up to 19, then count back down to 0. Then up to 18, and back down to 0, etc etc. See how far you can go with this.

I've personally never reached 10 lol

yerm

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,505,706
Pronouns
she/her
When I was in camp as a kid, I had a hard time sleeping and one of the ladies there taught me this trick that has stuck with me ever since: usually the reason people have trouble falling asleep (note: this doesn't apply to everyone) is because they let their mind wander and think too much. Her tip to combat that (which I always do when I have trouble falling asleep) is to do the following:

Count slowly up to 20 in your head, picturing each number and sounding them out in your mind. When you get to 20, count back down to 0. When you get to 0, count back up to 19, then count back down to 0. Then up to 18, and back down to 0, etc etc. See how far you can go with this.

I'll try that, thanks Zikkie :heartublob:

hatmixx

Ain't Nobody Fifth Place HoE VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭34,300
Pronouns
No Sana No Life

Laughs in insomniac. I'll start at 1,000:JudgyDubu:

unicorn

Gay Street Fighter
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,684,131
i agree w exercising, bcs it will also improve your sleep quality, you will sleep better if you workout during the day

start small: like 10 squats + 10 sit ups + 10 push ups + 30 seconds of planks. do these sets twice a day. you can do these easily at home

eventually you can reach 100 each, like me :LovePar: :LovePar:

i hope you sleep better, we all deserve a good sleep :wow:

Chococo

your local superheroine Social Media
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,338,428
Have you tried daydreaming before the sleep time? XD Try to put yourself in some fictional world that you won't even notice how you fall asleep.

I also would recommend meditating, listening to white noise before your bed time, and make sure that the last hour before you go to bed.. is rather inactive/like slow? Like don't overcrowd yourself with any activity.

yerm

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,505,706
Pronouns
she/her
i agree w exercising, bcs it will also improve your sleep quality, you will sleep better if you workout during the day

start small: like 10 squats + 10 sit ups + 10 push ups + 30 seconds of planks. do these sets twice a day. you can do these easily at home

eventually you can reach 100 each, like me :LovePar: :LovePar:

i hope you sleep better, we all deserve a good sleep :wow:
I did squats a week ago and I've only just revered from the pain :somicry: You're powerful if you can do that many
Have you tried daydreaming before the sleep time? XD Try to put yourself in some fictional world that you won't even notice how you fall asleep.

I also would recommend meditating, listening to white noise before your bed time, and make sure that the last hour before you go to bed.. is rather inactive/like slow? Like don't overcrowd yourself with any activity.
I think daydreaming is the problem :somicry:

unicorn

Gay Street Fighter
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,684,131
I did squats a week ago and I've only just revered from the pain :somicry: You're powerful if you can do that many

I think daydreaming is the problem :somicry:
Oh it def takes time to get used to it....take it slow maybe by dividing the sets i gave as an example with 2. Scratch the pushup/pullups chooses the one easier for u.

So 5 for each moves. Ur body will get used to it eventually.

Ask ur friends to also do it. Its more fun knowing someone is in it with you.

yerm

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,505,706
Pronouns
she/her
Oh it def takes time to get used to it....take it slow maybe by dividing the sets i gave as an example with 2. Scratch the pushup/pullups chooses the one easier for u.

So 5 for each moves. Ur body will get used to it eventually.

Ask ur friends to also do it. Its more fun knowing someone is in it with you.
I will try, thank you :sejeongcry:

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
-Exercise (even just walking is fine)
-Drink camomile tea (no normal tea and coffee after 16:00, better not to drink at all)
-Put a filter on your phone so no blue light that disrupts your rhythm
-Leave screens alone as much as possible in the hours before sleep

KerriKP

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭15,600
I have sleep apnea so I wear one of those masks. Before they gave it to me, they had me see a sleep psychologist (never knew such a specialty existed!). The only thing I really remember though is the type of light you're exposed to can prevent the onset of sleep, So, no electronic screens. Bedside lamp is okay as long as the light's not shining directly on you or your eyes. She recommending trying to read. If you do keep your phone or tablet nearby when you sleep, on YouTube, look up Marconi Union Weightless. The song was written in conjunction with sleep experts and is supposedly the most relaxing song in the world. The first time I listened to it I nearly fell off my desk chair. It has a 10-hour version and a smaller one. Lastly, if your head's going a mile a minute, pick one idea, one dream, one fantasy and focus on that and making it clearer as you drift off. I "visit" New Orleans a lot and spend the night walking Bourbon Street but lately I've been N Flying's tour manager on a cross Canada tour opening for a Canadian band called Marianas Trench.

yerm

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,505,706
Pronouns
she/her
I have sleep apnea so I wear one of those masks. Before they gave it to me, they had me see a sleep psychologist (never knew such a specialty existed!). The only thing I really remember though is the type of light you're exposed to can prevent the onset of sleep, So, no electronic screens. Bedside lamp is okay as long as the light's not shining directly on you or your eyes. She recommending trying to read. If you do keep your phone or tablet nearby when you sleep, on YouTube, look up Marconi Union Weightless. The song was written in conjunction with sleep experts and is supposedly the most relaxing song in the world. The first time I listened to it I nearly fell off my desk chair. It has a 10-hour version and a smaller one. Lastly, if your head's going a mile a minute, pick one idea, one dream, one fantasy and focus on that and making it clearer as you drift off. I "visit" New Orleans a lot and spend the night walking Bourbon Street but lately I've been N Flying's tour manager on a cross Canada tour opening for a Canadian band called Marianas Trench.

Thank you for the advice! I'm terrible for limiting electronic use before bed so I really should listen to that :ShockedPar: And this gives me an excuse to read before bed again!

MedicationHelps87

Bounced Back 2024 Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,488,851
Pronouns
He/Him
I don't 'like to sleep' nightmares and psychosis haunts me before and when sleeping.
But when I do get sleep it's like 10% ok and 90% not.

I use medication to help me sleep. Majority wise Valium or Diazepam.
My insomnia is problematic at best. Severe at its most worst.

Top Bottom