Slice of life anime's are boring

No.1

Idol Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭292,855
Hit or miss. Some are good if they have a plto to follow through and it's not just mushy stuff.
Like ToraDora, that shit got intense towards the end. Also His or Her Circumstances, oldie but goldie.

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
One pet peeve I have with slice-of-life term (and other terminologies) is lot of sites muddle the meaning a bit. Of course it's a pretty open term, but I think when used as to define the genre, it should be more specific. Either use the term to define themes or story structure, not both.

An example as people mentioned ToraDora and romantic comedies like these. These don't need to be called slice-of-life IMO. Romantic comedy just encompass it pretty well. However, lot of people will call these slice-of-life as well because thematically they are and it's alright. However, ToraDora isn't like Lucky Star which is structurally would be a "true" slice-of-life.

Now it seems like a small thing, so I'll give another example: at myanimelist Megalo Box is classified as slice-of-life when just sports would be more than enough (maybe drama and sci-fi as well). Karekano also is classified as slice-of-life at myanimelist but at wikipedia it is just classified as romantic comedy meanwhile ToraDora gets both genres.

I'd like a bit of consistence. The animelist case they just use slice-of-life on anything which just destroy the meaning of the word. In the case of Wikipedia and also every anime site ever they have inconsistencies like romantic comedies being either one or another when both are identical structurally and thematically.

I won't get pissed if people call romantic comedies as slice-of-life as in this case it could be a bit borderline. However, not every serialized sci-fi, coming of age drama, or romance should be called that. Might as well call Berserk a slice-of-life (there are tons of slicing life there).

icegurt

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,650
I'm sorry but it had to be said

Someone recently rec'd the genre to me and wow I feel asleep in 3 different anime , defo not for me
i feel the same, the only slice of life anime + movie i've fully watched has been fruits basket + a silent voice, other than that i can't do it

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
One pet peeve I have with slice-of-life term (and other terminologies) is lot of sites muddle the meaning a bit. Of course it's a pretty open term, but I think when used as to define the genre, it should be more specific. Either use the term to define themes or story structure, not both.

An example as people mentioned ToraDora and romantic comedies like these. These don't need to be called slice-of-life IMO. Romantic comedy just encompass it pretty well. However, lot of people will call these slice-of-life as well because thematically they are and it's alright. However, ToraDora isn't like Lucky Star which is structurally would be a "true" slice-of-life.

Now it seems like a small thing, so I'll give another example: at myanimelist Megalo Box is classified as slice-of-life when just sports would be more than enough (maybe drama and sci-fi as well). Karekano also is classified as slice-of-life at myanimelist but at wikipedia it is just classified as romantic comedy meanwhile ToraDora gets both genres.

I'd like a bit of consistence. The animelist case they just use slice-of-life on anything which just destroy the meaning of the word. In the case of Wikipedia and also every anime site ever they have inconsistencies like romantic comedies being either one or another when both are identical structurally and thematically.

I won't get pissed if people call romantic comedies as slice-of-life as in this case it could be a bit borderline. However, not every serialized sci-fi, coming of age drama, or romance should be called that. Might as well call Berserk a slice-of-life (there are tons of slicing life there).
hmm when people say slice of life i think of saiki-k or daily life of high school boys...anime about every day life or smth

Top Bottom