PLUSDAYS Special Article - HallyuPlus' Singles Day Playlist! [WINNERS + LOTTERY]

Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭464,359
"PLUS DAYS" SPECIAL ARTICLE - SINGLES DAY PLAYLIST
Written by: chococo, BlueNose & Polaris_Tae
With the help of Hallyu+ users!

51a5Y8r.png

November 11th marked Singles Day, an unofficial holiday and shopping season that celebrates people who are not in relationships. In late September, the Press Team asked you to help contribute to creating the perfect Singles Day Playlist! Among the many recommendations submitted, we had the task of picking only a select few to feature in this semi-delayed article. What songs do you think were the best songs for Singles Day?

#1: SUNMI - GASHINA (suggested by: @Nara)
Polaris_Tae: To kick off this list we begin with Sunmi's "Gashina"."Gashina" was released in the latter half of 2017 and was Sunmi's first solo release following the disbandment of Wonder Girls — also in 2017 — and was produced by the infamous YG producer Teddy. This song, just like the other songs that I've selected from user submission gives off a different aspect of singlehood. "Gashina" is a synth-dominated release where Sunmi displays a sense of disbelief and utter shock that anyone would even consider leaving someone like her. Displaying the fact that she is essentially livid that anyone would even consider leaving the best thing that's ever happened in their lives (AKA her). She further details that while she has bloomed following the break-up, her ex has wilted into a shadow of their former self and that she wouldn't take them back even if they begged for it. "Gashina — in my opinion — is one of Teddy's few tracks that sounds consistently great the entire way through while also managing to effectively forgo a vocal focused chorus in favour of an instrumental based one instead. Sunmi's "Gashina" will always remain that anthem that will have you wanting to pick yourself up from that mess that you're in and tell people to stop blaming you for their mistakes, as you're the best thing that could ever happen to them, just like Sunmi!

heart-png-31.png

#2: MORNING MUSUME '20 - RELATIONSHIPS, NO WAY WAY (suggested by: @Lurkette)
BlueNose: Released digitally in 2020, “Relationships, No Way Way” is a fun electropop tune with a brassy influence. Taking the point of view of a young girl whose adverse towards love and relationships, the group sings about how they cherish the time they spend alone without another half. With “Relationships? No way” as the main hook, they pull you into their point of view. They’ve tried dating before but in the end, they realize they can’t stay together and want to be left alone and “reset” to their original single life disposition. It’s such a fun song but seems to have a darker undertone with lyrical choices like “fruitless efforts” and “threads that I can’t untangle”, so rather than they just choose to be single. They probably went through a series of bad relationships that turned them towards this life of singleness.

heart-png-31.png

#3: OLIVIA HYE - EGOIST (suggested by: @jindori & @Chococo)
chococo: "Egoist" has always been one of my favourite LOONA songs. In the LOONAVERSE story, "Egoist" happens right after the events of "love4eva", where Olivia is left alone all by herself. Yves, Gowon, and Chuu leave her to explore the Earth. There are moments visible in the MV where she's lost, looking around - and hesitant about taking a bite from an apple. This Apple signifies her newfound freedom and voice. The music video for love4eva also introduces us to Olivia, who plays a different role compared to the other girls. She's hesitant and distant from them, and in the end, we are left with the speculation that she might be a people pleaser for an authoritative figure. She's the only one left standing in front of the strict teacher.

In "Egoist", we see her starting to embrace her dark side. She begins with her wanting revenge against Yves for leaving her alone, only to later begin to acknowledge herself. When she falls onto the mattress, she's now at rock bottom. With each step, she starts to embrace herself. The white colors meet the dark. She becomes less and less fearful about meeting her dark side. "Love yourself, let you go today" - the words that play out in the chorus tell us, the more she falls for herself, the less she's thinking of Yves. It is her time to accept herself and finding her power. She has to battle her fears and her inner demons - to embrace every single side of her. Flaws, imperfections, and mistakes to truly find herself. To find her own identity. This song reminds you there's every single side of you and it is lovable. That if you strive for your goal hard enough, you can do it!

heart-png-31.png

#4: INFINITE - THE EYE(suggested by: @Polaris_Tae)
Polaris_Tae: If there was one thing that I had difficulty with during the drafting process for the Singles Day Playlist it was trying to find the perfect song to suggest for the playlist. As the majority of the recommendations this time were related to female artists, and we at HallyuPlus value equality. It was due to this that I was forced (by myself mostly) to find a male counterpart to all of these top-tier female singles appreciation releases! (when will H+ let Polaris live by being able to finally submit a girl group song *runs away crying*) Judging from this post, you can see that I found it in the form of INFINITE's "The Eye". INFINITE dropped this track during the latter half of 2016 and just like everything else in 2016 it flew right past my radar as 2016 was essentially the year that I only listened to a select few boy groups, causing me to ignore most boy groups releases released during that year. If there is one thing that I am regretting it's that the choice of narrowing my focus in music to a single artist as I completely missed this (not very) hidden gem by INFINITE! "The Eye" is essentially a breakup song, where they're still haunted by the memories of their ex and trapped in "The Eye" of someone they no longer want or desire. It also gives us hints of possessiveness through its lyrics while at the same time being a song that only INFINITE could pull off — giving us hints of their signature 80's sound, while at the same time adding something fresh to the release through its orchestral feel and trap-inspired breakdown. INFINITE's "The Eye" will be one of the few songs that will have you screaming "I Want To Be Single Forever!"

heart-png-31.png

#5: IU - PALETTE (suggested by: @Stannie)
BlueNose: IU’s Palette is quite personal to IU herself, showing her growth over the years. It’s quite literally a “self” song, rather than outright referencing her singleness, it shows how she’s comfortable with herself and coming to terms with who she is as a 25-year-old, compared to her past single 23, which portrayed very chaotic energy, of how at the time, she went back and forth about who she wanted to be and putting on an image that may or not be her. Palette is smoother with a calmer spirit. She prefers easier things, purple over pink. She’s 25 and she likes it, and she’ll give herself a little more encouragement on who she is, and not the person people want her to be. It’s a bit of a motivational song, even G-Dragon’s rap is talking to IU and giving her advice as an older friend who’s reached his 30s. Love her or hate her, IU’s gotten on the path that she thinks is “her” and won’t let others stop her, and I think it shows in how ambitious she’s gotten in her career.

heart-png-31.png

#6: TWICE - WHAT IS LOVE(suggested by: @Seriously)
chococo: In this delightfully fun Twice song, the girls ask us "What Is Love" and what is it like to be in love! They characterize this question with popular love stories as they search for their answers. The words, "My heart keeps beating as it's my own, make my heart pound and swell with hope, I want to know so bad" are sung as they try to understand and feel it with their hearts. Even in the music video, we find them in multiple cinematic universes, and each of them becoming a different character. The main character of the song's heart seeks for her true love, her Prince Charming, and yearns for the day when they will finally get to meet each other. This song is full of daydreaming and beautiful blossoming love for the person you have yet to meet. With all the wondering about "What Is Love", it makes me think that the character already knows the answer to their question if they can feel the love for a stranger they have never met before. They tell us that love is everywhere. Love is not just between the two lovers. Love can be platonic. It can be your parents' love. Love is in what you do. Love surrounds you.

heart-png-31.png

#7: JENNIE - SOLO (suggested by: @OutroTearTheFirst)
Polaris_Tae: To kick off Singles Day with a bang we have a solo anthem from 2018 in the form of Jennie from BLACKPINK's solo release aptly titled "SOLO". This song perfectly encompasses Singles Day in every single aspect of its concept. The lyrics talk about how Jennie is sick and tired of being stabbed in the back by boyfriends and has now decided to stick it and embrace being "SOLO" for the freedom it gives her to be there for herself and no one else! The music video further backs this concept up by ditching the boy she's with and deciding to splurge all her money on the better things in life. As one of the best things about 11/11 is the massive sales that take place! From the outfits to the sets themselves, everything just screams expensive — one of the outfits, in particular, retails for a whopping price of $11,595. When this song was initially released, I was one of the few that didn't like the song due to its messy breakdown. However, after coming back to listen to it after about a year, I have found a brand new appreciation for the track. The song is a trap-infused dance track with orchestral elements added for resonance, and like many of BLACKPINK's group releases foregoes the vocal dominated chorus In favour of the instrumental based chorus. "SOLO", in its essence, tells us that Jennie is tired of being stabbed in the back by boyfriends and has now decided to stick it and embrace being "SOLO" for the freedom it gives her to just be there for herself and no one else!

heart-png-31.png

#8: LONELY - JONGHYUN (suggested by: @with*one)
chococo: There are days when we are out our loneliest. It might be after a break-up, or the days when we need someone to talk to about the curveballs that life throws at us and there's no one out there for us. This song is all about holding that feeling in, and how the misery of being alone haunts you. It is the feeling of becoming addicted to your loneliness. Pushing the ones who matter to you the most. All because you're feeling so unneeded and unloved. This beautiful song is written by the late SHINee member and an amazing singer, Kim Jonghyun. It talks about the uncomfortable emotions that might not always be the most comfortable to share. Feeling lonely sometimes makes it difficult to talk about things, right? But with this song, both Jonghyun and the featured artist, Taeyeon want to know that you aren't alone. That you're okay just the way you are and to not give in to your inner demons.

But remember that you are loved and that you are not alone. There's nothing wrong with wanting some alone time, but don't succumb to this feeling. This song reminds you not to neglect yourself and don't be afraid to ask for help when you are feeling at your worst. You are never alone. There's always someone who cares for you. Even if it is just a kind stranger. Sometimes it's not the relationship that makes us complete but our friends. It's our hobbies and interests too. It is also our job. It's finding peace within ourselves. We can't always expect or depend on the other person to be there for us all the time. A flower will fall apart if it relies on someone else to hold it together, it has to stand on its own.

heart-png-31.png

#9: APINK - DUMHDURUM (suggested by: @Panda)
Polaris_Tae: If there was one song that I was hoping would be submitted during this playlist — aside from Sexy, Free & Single — it was APINK's "Dumhdurum". Luckily, thanks to a user with the best taste in the world when it comes to heartbreak songs, I finally got the chance to write about one of my favourite releases of 2020! "Dumhdurum" was APINK's first release of 2020 and, just like their previous hits like "%%" it was a banger upon first listen. "Dumhdurum" is an upbeat synth-dominated dance track that through the lyrics, presents us with the girls of APINK being unphased by the recent deterioration of their most recent relationship. Aside from being a little sad, their heart is beating at the fact that they get to enjoy the freedom of singledom all over again and the fantastic feeling of falling in love all over again! The music video to "Dumhdurum", just like Jennie's "Solo" before it, simply exudes expensiveness in every frame. From the set pieces; to the styling, there is not a single thing that looks cheap in this music video. Which is as it should be after dropping your ex. As following a breakup — unless it's marriage or something with a heavy commitment — you will almost always have more time to treat yourself instead of spending money on other people who may not appreciate your time as much. "Dumhdurum" is, to put it simply, about the freedom that one receives once breaking off a romantic relationship.

heart-png-31.png

#10: HEBE TIEN - PEOPLE ARE THE WORST (suggested by: @BlueNose)
BlueNose: With a sweet instrumental and light vocals, Hebe sways you with probably the darkest song in her discography. Opening with a scenario, someone walking down the stairs and getting a cup of coffee that cools, and Hebe Tien sings “In your hand, your coffee had cooled and it was still a little warmer than your heart”. In many different ways, she goes on about humans being troublesome and difficult. Someone must’ve hurt her when she was writing this because she even says things like “Breathing is harder than lying”. Humans are hopeless and maybe it’s best to stay on your own. I think the best thing about it is the contradiction Hebe speaks about “It's troublesome to the end, a contradiction to the end, difficult to the end”. She portrays that perfectly through the vibe of “People are The Worst”, with me initially thinking it would have a calm and lovely lyrical path. It's so relatable in a sense but doesn't rile up my emotions in a negative way, like someone telling you terrible things, but in the most polite way possible. While you're alone, remember that it's probably for the best anyway, since humans are so terrible when you think about it.
lyrics

heart-png-31.png

#11: B1A4 - SOLO DAY (suggested by: @BlessMeAchoo)
Polaris_Tae: When going through song suggestions for this playlist, I found that there was one major issue, and that was the lack of boy groups — as well as the non-existence of "Sexy, Free & Single" but that's a rant for another day — which is sad as there are some amazing boy group heartbreak songs out there (Nu'est's "Hello" for example). Thankfully our users were here to deliver yet again with their suggestion of B1A4's "Solo Day"! "Solo Day" was released in 2016 before Jinyoung and Baro leaving WM and the group to pursue solo careers. The song is laid back in nature and gives us a look at the group's bitter feelings towards a girl that has left them before they've even had the chance to say goodbye. In response to this, the group has now declared today to be a "Solo Day" and has promised that leaving them will become the regret of a lifetime. In the music video, we see the members each portray cliche videogame characters as they spend their "Solo Day" in the best way possible, in the company of others without a care in the world. At its core, "Solo Day" tells us that the best thing about being single is that you have even more time to spend with your friends and family than you would dating someone, thus making it the perfect "Singles Day" song!

PROOFREAD BY: @fleur de lune
GRAPHICS BY: @mocha

So what are your thoughts on this selection? Did you find any songs that you'll be adding to your playlist? If you want to listen to all of the songs that were suggested by our great users you can find the full playlist on YouTube.

As promised, if your name was mentioned in this article you win ⨭ 50,000 PC + 2 Ørbs. They will be sent as soon as possible.

But that's not all! Just like our Summer Playlist, we've organised a special lottery for all our readers! All you have to do is leave us a comment in this thread telling us which song you liked the most among the ones featured in this article. In 48 hours, a random generator will pick 3 users who will each win ⨭ 150,000 + 1 Ørb each. So don't forget to comment below!

Thank you for reading this article, and we'll see you again very soon!

S

Some

Cool list. Gashina, no way way, egoist, the eye, palette,solo,Dumhdurum, such iconic songs i always meant to check out the hebe song due to the theme being my life moto 😂 guess i'm gonna now. Thanks for reminding me & the fantastic list <3

kimsguardian

🄳🄾🄾🅁🚪 Sixth Place HoETop Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,158,720
Pronouns
He/Him
The Eye! great choice our master sns :shablob:
and with jjong's lonely, we know you have to grab your sorrow for yourself. love it~

Stannie

Philippians 4:11-13
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,001
Did the reviewers really pick and review their suggested songs? Rigged :JudgyDubu: jk

Thanks for the list! Really solid :poggers: My favorite is obviously Palette (or else I wouldn't have suggested it lmao). Very relatable lyrics about embracing oneself and feeling happy/confident in your own skin. Just my type of song :fab:

Polaris_Tae

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭464,359
Did the reviewers really pick and review their suggested songs? Rigged :JudgyDubu: jk

Thanks for the list! Really solid :poggers: My favorite is obviously Palette (or else I wouldn't have suggested it lmao). Very relatable lyrics about embracing oneself and feeling happy/confident in your own skin. Just my type of song :fab:

Rigged?!
I-
Your song got picked...

:okbye::okbye::okbye:

My question is... when will H+ let me recommend girl group songs. The whole list (sans 2, one of which I suggested) were girl group songs.
LET ME LIVE!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600

so ur the king who suggested it :darkkermit:

with*one

all i wanna do ♡
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭679,200
jjong's lonely has got to be my favourite song out of all the songs because i was the one who suggested it of course 😌💅

jk but on a side note: if i had to choose my favourite songs from the list above, i'd definitely choose what is love, palette and lonely :wow:

UMJI MOODS

엄지는 내 장미 VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭44,409,613
APINK's Dumhdurum would be my choice among these fine songs.
Congratulations to all who have great taste and picked such wonderful songs. Hopefully one day one of my suggestions will make it too.​

Polaris_Tae

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭464,359
@Seriously @Some @AStan @with*one @MVSica @UMJI MOODS @Nara @Lurkette @kimsguardian @jindori

Tagging everyone who commented because we have the winners of our lottery!
They are...

with*one, MVSica & Some

I'll send all prizes for the lottery now, so if you haven't received anything in the next hour, don't hesitate to contact me!
Congrats everyone and thank you for your contribution to this article and its comments!

743908892643295243.png

avedzg.JPG-1.png

S

Some

Wow i know there was a raffle from the title i though its a thing where you like a post ( the original post from 2 months ago ) so i didn't expect this thank you so much <3

Top Bottom