The Girls Planet 999 Thread :: END

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭256,350
Spoilers ahead as usual, for ep 3 :

• Jiwon getting greedy in her team until Chaehyun handled the situation
  • Yu Dayeon doing a Heo Yunjin remake but this time her teammates didn't concede. She chose to have strong members, so bigger ego, more confidence and more talent, of course they would be more competitive. If she wanted to have center, or killing part or main vocal, she should've chosen other cells. Yaning spoke out to handle the situation, great leadership.
  • On the other hand Kim Doah chose to have less part, letting her members shine, very nice of her
  • Sein got destroyed in this episode, by both the judges and her members. Harsh but fair. Her team lost, she learnt the hard way.
  • Yujin never leaded before and it shows, despite her experience.
  • Seungeun, Bora and Rayeon taking the lead of their respective group, obviously, as they are already debuted idols and had more experience. They can't hide.
  • That dance battle segment was nice, we got some sexy dances and some girls covered Guinn Myah's eyes lol
  • So they kept Kim Dayeon out of top 9 on purpose, poor girl thought she wasn't worth. Now she's relieved.

As for the performances :

• Both Yes or Yes teams did very well, it was hard to choose but team 1 was slightly better.
  • On the other hand both HYLT teams did many mistakes, it wasn't very good. So Team 1 who did the least mistakes won.
  • Next episode will begin with Boy Group song teams. We'll see if Yu Dayeon's team can work as a team since most of the members are better ranked overrall.

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
Episode 3.

Interesting voting preliminary results. Namu Wiki has a nice table with the added total and the average votes per day. Curious how they are gonna implement the individual voting. Redemption arc seems to be still strong with the Koreans, à la Kaeun, with Yujin cell topping the Korean voting. Power trio of Xiaoting, Youngeun and Yurina in second is slightly surprising, but I guess Ruiqi and Hikaru are more popular to international fans. Yeseo, Mashiro and Xingqiao cell in 3rd. Internationally Ruiqi cell coming first followed by Yujin cell and Youngeun cell. If you go by Korean votes alone only one cell changes from the elimination cut off which is Jia cell bouncing out Sein cell. By international votes Chaeyun cell loses their spot to Bora's cell. So no huge differences between eliminated cells. The ranking themselves aren't too dissimilar too, mostly different at the middle. We'll see a clearer picture with the individual voting and when they eventually ditch the cell format.

Bahiyyih cell coming in 5th both with Korean and international voting. As I said before inflating youtube numbers is way easier than committing to voting daily even if it's free. Still very popular but not runaway with it popular as the numbers made it look like it would be. Looking at her cell those votes are all hers so maybe if she had a few more popular members maybe she comes in first. The cells ahead of her have at least 2 popular girls.

Some people are already overreacting and anointing girls as locks. I still think it's too early and a lot can and will happen. Granted a lot of girls maintain popularity throughout the show and I feel like girls like Yujin, Ruiqi, Hikaru, Xiaoting and Yurina need to really tank in some way to drop out. But I'm not so sure about girls like Yeseo and Youngeun. There is already push back for Yeseo in both Korean and international communities. She seems to be the odd one out of Mnet's favorites that a portion of fans aren't accepting unlike Yujin and co. Her cell still got a lot of votes in both spheres, but I can see her ranking dropping if more people gain interest in the show and the volume of votes increases. Youngeun had a good performance, but I don't know yet if she solidified her own personal fans that would be carried when individual votes decide ranking. Right now she figures to me as one of those girls everyone likes but isn't their top pick.

From the girls I'm following only one is in elimination range in Ito Miyu, which was expected. She didn't perform particularly well and her performance got cut from the show along with a not so popular cell. The small hype she got on Korean communities before the show not enough to push her into staying so far, and I don't see the masters saving her. A lot of girls that caught my eye in the elimination range though and a lot of talented girls. We'll see how things shape up next episode, but we are inevitably losing a lot of good girls.

Not too happy they wasted so much screen time fishing for drama with the part distribution bit. I would much rather they showed more training than that. They showed not a single trainer helping the girls out aside from the interim performance check too. It would just jump from you looked bad on the check and with no practice shots they just got "better" for the performance or the opposite. These girls aren't producers, they aren't fully equipped to properly judge and decide who is best for what position for the best performance. That's why I like Bae Yoonjeong, she not only taught and monitored their dancing she would also guide the girls on what was best for their performance by changing parts and diagnosing problems. Granted some teams didn't heed her advice but at least she gave them constructive criticism. We didn't get to see any footage of trainers helping the girls so maybe they did but just didn't show, and I would have liked to have seen that rather than 5 mins of who wants to do what part but didn't get it. Also the editing to force narratives is typical Mnet. Not even gonna get into that cause at this point it's so overdone it's just exhausting to even comment.

The dance battle thing also feels so forced and formulaic. The reward for winning isn't a huge deal so I'm not really gonna waste time on the judging. It's just so obvious they are trying to force viral videos of girls that are supposed to be great dancers when the original one were much more natural. Not to mention the format is such a mess. I would have traded the first 45 mins of this episode for the girls interacting with each other like the self-shot relay cam, more training and practice footage and the audition performances preparation and dorm.

Sadly the full version they put up on youtube is not single camera full body shot so really hard to judge. Team "The Ones You want to See" has 3 good vocalists in Hyerim, Moana and Chaehyun that made the performance sound pleasing. Along with Yiman, Yuling and Chiayi who seemed pretty decent too before and in this and Jiwon and Ayana that also more than held their own. Sumomo is probably the weakest link vocally, but she didn't make any major mistake and was the 7th vocalist. Hyerim had a mistake right at the start but did well the rest of the song. A few girls had breathing problems here and there, mainly Ayana and Yiman. Moana had at least a couple I noticed too. Overall a very pleasing sounding performance. I know there is probably some software magic to correct some stuff, but I can't really worry about that since we are never hearing it. The dance isn't too challenging and everyone seemed to pull it off well enough. Ayana and Yuling had a bit awkward expressions. Everyone else did decently well. The best ones being Jiwon and Chaehyun imo expressions wise. I'd say Chaehyun impressed me the most this stage. Sang really well and had great expressions. After her I'd say Moana. Also sang well, had some good expressions, still needs to fix her breathing while singing and dancing at the same time though. After that I'd say Jiwon, Hyerim and Chiayi did similarly well. Hyerim for her mistake at the start and her expressions could have been better. Chiayi and Jiwon did well most of the song a few off singing parts for both, but not to the level of Moana and Chaehyun. Yiman was just a small step below. Had a nice voice and sang well, but a few mistakes here and there. Yuling, Sumomo and Ayana did well for their parts but still not quite polished with a few more mistakes to iron out. A pretty good performance. I thought they managed to fit the energy of the song. The edit made the process seem very hard and didn't really show how they fixed it. Makes me wonder if it was just editing forcing the issue or if they just cut a lot of practicing and correction the girls did.

The practice edit for team Energy Bar is exactly why the cell elimination is a horrible idea. Sein is still a kid that is pretty lost in this competition. She is young so it's fine for herself if she doesn't make it she has a lot of time to make it in another group after the show, but Wenzhe is one of the oldest members, already debuted, can't really afford to miss out on the double point chance, even if only for 24 hours. It isn't really Sein's fault that she is just a kid that can't focus it's just her personality and age. Wenzhe might have been eliminated either way if it was solo, and they might even not be eliminated now considering they are just at the cutoff to surviving for now, but at least it would have been fairer if she was eliminated for her own lack of popularity rather than a possible victim of a weak cell. It also creates unnecessary drama and possible fighting, which I'm sure Mnet loves. Anyhow it's another team they made it seem like the preparation was hell, but somehow magically performed and the world didn't fall apart without showing us how they actually got to that point.

This team is vocally weaker than the first one. Outside of Ziyin they don't really have another good vocalist. Sein has a nice voice and shows promise but she isn't there yet. Ririka did her best, and did better than on Fancy but still has some improving needed. Risako sounded the third best to me. Wenzhe fit in better as the 2nd vocal here than she did as a main vocal. She did well but still has some parts that could be better. Doah and Momoko managed their parts well enough. Cheukying first part was a bit off but she recovered on her later parts. Chaeyun didn't sound bad but was more amateurish. Again didn't notice anyone stand out poorly dancing a fairly straight forward choreography. Expression wise, Sein still hasn't improved much. Momoko and Ziyin look a bit awkward. Chaeyun had a cute confused smile that I don't think matches the song really. Cheukying, Ririka and Wenzhe had decent expressions. Doah and Risako were probably the best at it, although I do agree with some people that Doah overdid hers a bit in the intro. The girls did decently well considering their skill levels. No one stood out to me like Chaehyun did on team 1. My top performers would be Doah and Risako on this team. Zyin was the best singer but her expressions were lacking. Everyone else did pretty similar if you average out their short comings and strengths. Maybe Chaeyun a bit below everyone else. I do agree team 1 deserved the win, but they were more stacked with talent to begin with imo.

I can't really tell if what the judges said about Hidden Card team being faster than the song was right or not. Didn't sound off to me. I thought they did a pretty good job. Xinyu had a pretty pleasing voice. Seungeun and Miu also sounded good. The three made a big mistake going off-pitch in the middle of the song though. A shame because they were doing real well. Jia did a good job with her rap. Dayeon and Tzulin did well, but lacked more impact. Moka's parts were really short. She lacked a bit of energy on her first but did fine on her second. Rinka did sang very well. Tammy did a good job with her parts too. I couldn't notice anyone looking out of place or making mistakes in the dance. It took me a couple days to write this and the individual cams came out in the meantime. I'll watch those later and see if my opinion changes. I thought both Rinka and Jia killed it with their expressions. Miu and Seungeun did a nice job but were a little bit off. Xinyu had a variety of expressions some good but some not like she was struggling to find the right tone of the stage. Tzulin was similar but less severe. Her good expressions weren't as good but her awkward ones also weren't as awkward. Tammy couldn't really capture the feel of the song at any point that I saw. Dayeon and Moka did fine with their expressions but didn't stand out to me. This stage wasn't nearly as bad as they made it sound in the show to me. Rinka dand Jia absolutely stood out and did a great job. The big issue is the very clear vocal mistake in the middle that sticks out like a sore thumb. But after that no one lost composure and they finished the performance well. It's kind of sad how the show and masters are focused so much in the Korean contestants they didn't even mention how well Rinka did. Why even bring trainees from other countries honestly just make the show only Koreans or trainees in Korea and nobody would complain.

Plan Girls didn't have the big mistake like Hidden Card but I thought the performances weren't that far apart. Xia Yan absolutely killed her part. Amazing job. I was pleasantly surprised by Youngeun singing. She also did a great job. Cai Bing did a good job with her rap, and so did Yeongyung but was a bit less impactful. May sang well within her limitations. Yurina and Yujin also sang well enough but neither really stands out. Vivienne had the same part as Moka on the other team and did a similar job. Was ok but lacked a bit of energy. Xiaoting sang well but had a couple breathing issues. Again when I watch the individual cams it'll be easier to comment about their dance. Aside from the Cai Bing mistakes at the start and a couple of May's moves looking off-beat it was hard to see anyone doing particularly well or poorly. Xia Yan also killed it with her expressions. From this group I think she was the only one who nailed it. Xiaoting didn't quite express the proper feelings imo. Neither did Youngeun or Yurina. Vivienne couldn't really capture the song much too. Yeongyung had the second best expressions after Xia Yan. Not quite as fierce but a good job. Yujin and May looked a bit too cute and innocent for the arrogant vibe the song has. My issue with Cai Bing expressions continues. If you take away her eyes she doesn't do much, and even then if her eyes weren't so unique it wouldn't look as good because she doesn't do much with them either. At the end because of the big mistake Hidden Card had and how this team didn't have as big a mistake I'd also give them the win. The issue is it never felt like the other team had a chance and if it weren't for their mistake I would have given it to them. This team has some big favorites of the show in Yujin, Cai Bin and Yurina. It felt like even if the other team had killed their performance which they very nearly did they wouldn't win anyway. Overall I thought team Hidden Card had better vocals, stage presence and standout performers. Xia Yan matched Rinka and Jia, Youngeun matched Xinyu, but no one matched Miu and Seungeun without the mistake. Dayeon was also a step above Yeongyung. Vivienne and Moka did a pretty similar job.

One thing I'd like to say about the judges and us evaluating the performances. It's a very different beast to do it live without the benefit of re-watching several times a performance. It's so easy to miss stuff or let your inherent biases induce you into a certain opinion. It's very hard and no one is perfect at it. That is exactly why I think the more people do the judging live the better because you can mitigate those factors. Granted live audience isn't perfect or possible because of the pandemic and how it's usually just a popularity test, but I do feel like just the masters judging lacks something. Even with the girls voting for the performances too, they also have their own internal biases and motivations not to mention they are all probably mentally exhausted from preparing for the performances.

It's worth noting too that normal K-pop groups don't have to go through this when they debut. Sure when they are training and being picked to debut or not by their company they go through this much scrutiny, but once you debut people are not judging your dance, singing and stage presence like hawks. They just watch you and enjoy the stage. Sure there will always be haters that will criticize, but it will be way less people and your fans won't do it. Not saying it's a wrong thing we do for the show, because the benefit they get from these performances is huge and I think it's only fair to the girls if they get judged by their performance and skill fairly since they put so much work for it. My point is the stresses and demand of this show is different from the stress and demand for when you debut. A lot of active groups if put through this type of analysis would come out with similar criticism. So when we point out the flaws on someone's performance it isn't saying they can't be a girl group member, just a current evaluation of that performance specially in relation to everyone else on the show.

I feel the need to say this because a lot of K-pop fans specially on social media have this elitist fake notion that K-pop is only about talent and that you don't "deserve" to debut unless you are a perfect singer/dancer, when in fact it's about marketing and selling yourself. Yes your skills are part of that but not the only part. Just because someone isn't a main vocal or main dancer doesn't mean they can't debut.

Last edited:

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭256,350
I feel the need to say this because a lot of K-pop fans specially on social media have this elitist fake notion that K-pop is only about talent and that you don't "deserve" to debut unless you are a perfect singer/dancer, when in fact it's about marketing and selling yourself. Yes your skills are part of that but not the only part. Just because someone isn't a main vocal or main dancer doesn't mean they can't debut.

I'm with you on that point. I've read too much "talent" everywhere, it would work in the West but in K-pop it's only a part of it. Visual, variety skills, marketing, personnality, etc are as important as singing and dancing skills, maybe more sometimes.

Taking two examples from IZONE : Minju and Hyewon. Both are very pretty and funny in their own way, they aren't as skilled as others but without them you won't have so many funny moments, memes, etc. It wouldn't be the same. They also appeal to people by their own charm.

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
Individual cams for every performance.

Yes or Yes

Team 1
Kim Hyerim, Ma Yuling and Okuma Sumomo.
Huh Jiwon, Chiayi and Yamauchi Moana.
Kim Chaehyun, Li Yiman and Kuwahara Ayana.

Team 2
Kim Sein, Wenzhe and Okazaki Momoko.
Lee Chaeyun, Leung Cheukying and Kishida Ririka.
Kim Doah, Xu Ziyin and Arai Risako.

How You Like That

Team 1
Lee Yeongyung, Xia Yan and Inaba Vivienne.
Seo Youngeun, Shen Xiaoting and Kawaguchi Yurina.
Choi Yujin, Cai Bing and May.

Team 2
Yoon Jia, Zhou Xinyu and Shima Moka.
Kim Dayeon, Wu Tammy and Sakurai Miu.
Sim Seungeun, Chien Tzuling and Ando Rinka.

The Eve
You Dayeon, Xu Ruo Wei and Kamikura Rei.
Kim Suyeon, Fu Yaning and Nonaka Shana.
Jeong Jiyoon, Su Ruiqi and Ezaki Hikaru.

Fiesta

Team 1
Lee Sunwoo, Poon Wingchi and Hiyajo Nagomi.
Choi Yeyoung, Chen Hsinwei (Xinwei) and Kubo Reina.
Kang Yeseo, Huang Xingqiao and Sakamoto Mashiro.

Team 2
Huening Bahiyyih, Hsu Nientzu (Nancy) and Sakamoto Shihona.
Suh Jimin, Wang Qiuru and Ito Miyu.
Kim Yubin, Liu Shuyun and Nakamura Kyara.

SSFWL

Team 1
Ryu Sion, Chang Ching and Terasaki Hina.
Kim Bora, Zhang Luofei and Hayase Hana.
Lee Hyewon, Liang Jiao and Nagai Manami.

Team 2
Joung Min, Liang Qiao and Hayashi Fuko.
Lee Rayeon, Cui Wenmeixiu and Oki Fuka.
Cho Haeun, Ho Szeching and Kanno Miyu.

Mic Drop
Han Dana, Lin Chenhan and Kitajima Yuna.
An Jeongmin, Wang Yale and Fujimoto Ayaka.
Choi Hyerin, Liu Yuhan and Aratake Rinka.

Pretty U
Kim Yeeun, Liu Shiqi and Ikema Ruan.
Guinn Myah, Yang Zige and Kamimoto Kotone.
Lee Yunji, Gu Yizhou and Murakami Yume.

frostpuddle

Global Star Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭230,763
Individual cams for every performance.

Yes or Yes

Team 1
Kim Hyerim
Chiayi

How You Like That

Team 1
Kawaguchi Yurina.

Team 2
Sim Seungeun

SSFWL

Team 1
Kim Bora

Team 2
Lee Rayeon
IMO, Yes or Yes Team 1 had the best performance, they are like an actual debuted group. Kim Hyerim has a nice vocal and stable. Chiayi my favourite main dancer, please debut.

Yurina doesn't fit the girlcrush concept, or she's not expressing herself well in the song. Looks like she's more suitable for an elegant, mature style? Hopefully her stage charisma will improve with experience and exposure.

Seungeun fits the concept very well. She always has good charisma since Bvndit days. Love her opening verse. Please survive the first elimination round :sejeongcry:

My favourite performances are from SSFWL, BEcause I like that song. Bora slayed her lines as expected. But Rayeon, oh no... unfortunately I think she didn't show her vocals well. Rayeon is always in my vote list because I think she suits the GP999 gg due to her being a multilingual queen, but her cell ranking is very low, like Seungeun and Bora. :noooo:

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
Ok done watching all the individual cams.

It's gonna be interesting seeing how they edit it and how the judges look at it.

Right off the bat The Eve team pretty much killed it. They tried teasing some discord and problems in the edit, but that team is just too stacked. If they really had issues with synchronicity we'll see it in the full performance, it's impossible to tell in the individual cams. Shana and Jiyoon's voices fit perfectly with the song and they absolutely nailed it. They both did very well in the dance and with their expressions too. To me they are both the stand outs in a very strong bunch. Ruowei is probably the weakest link and she still did well. Dayeon and Yaning overdid their expressions a bit and Hikaru didn't quite manage to capture the mood of the song, but that is very nitpicky. Should win both the boy group competition and the whole thing imo.

A few people are talking about how these cams aren't exactly the same ones of the performance aired. Shows do that a lot, specially music shows. I don't have a problem with that. Individual cams are often the rehearsal ones. It's weird that they have the same mistake that the show performance had, but maybe the girls made the same mistake. Who knows. Also making a mistake on stage isn't that big of a deal. Debuted groups do that all the time and the world doesn't end. Of course you want to have the best performance you can for your fans, but mistakes happen.

Mic drop performance was a mess. Looks like it didn't fit most of the girls in that group. Makes me wonder why they chose that over any of the other songs they could have. It's not like they were the last group and had no choice. Chenhan's rap was pretty good, but her dancing still needs work, although it did improve. Jeongmin performed well but didn't really fit the song. Yale looked super out of it. Wouldn't blame her if this concept was way too out of her comfort zone.

Pretty U was alright. A few mistakes here and there. Shiqi was singing well but couldn't quite reach the high note. This energetic and peppy concept is way more familiar to the girls and they pulled it off way better.

Both Fiesta teams had a collision in the individual cams. The weird thing is that on Reina's cam it's very clear, but on Xingqiao's cam it doesn't look like they run into each other at all. We'll see how that plays out on the show and how they decide to edit that. Qiuru and Shihona is pretty clear on both cams. Both teams had vocal mistakes too, but I thought team 1 had a cleaner performance. Team 2 did well though for being the leftover cells. Reina was overdoing her dance moves and expressions to me. She can sing and dance but went a bit over the top. Mashiro did well but I thought her expressions were much better when it wasn't her part. Bahiyyih did a good job but her expressions were awkward at times. They can do a pretty favorable edit for her if they want. It's gonna be a real test to see if she is one of the PDs favorites or not. People were a bit confused when she didn't have much screen time except for the call with her brother and the crying for being picked last. This would be a very easy redemption arc. I thought Nancy did well too. I felt bad for Ito Miyu though. Girl should not be a main vocal but this team doesn't really have a candidate for it. Yubin is probably the best singer but she isn't a main vocal. Miyu and Qiuru had a lot of issues singing.

SSFWL teams were closer. Bora sang well. Hyewon has a nice voice but needs to work on her expressions. I wasn't surprised by Liang twins dancing because their GNZ48 videos already show they are not bad dancers. They chose a meme song and did a meme performance for their audition. I think Manami did a pretty good job too. Rayeon was singing well but had trouble with the high note again. Szeching and Wenmeixiu did well within their abilities. Fuka did well just needed better expressions too. Hard to pick one over the other but I give the edge to Team 1 because Bora was the only one I thought had no shortcomings in both teams.

My mind didn't really change on both HYLT and YoY performances. Could see a few gaps in the dance of the girls, but nothing that would swing how I feel about what I thought with the group cam alone.

If The Eve team doesn't win I don't really know who would. Maybe YoY team 1? No one really stands out too much. If HYLT team 2 didn't have their mistake probably them. I think Jiyoon, Shana, Xia Yan, Ando Rinka and Jia were the best performers.

A few view counts are interesting. Myah 396k at 8th most viewed, Bora at 13th with 312k, Jiao 15th with 256k, Yale 16th 238k, Sein 25th 163k, Ririka 27th 157k, Qiao 29th 147k and Manami 41st 100k. Seems like international fans have take a liking to Myah. Nice seing Bora getting some recognition for her talent. Looks like people were pleasantly surprised by the twins showing skill. Yale getting some support after the preview targeted her pretty badly. Sein drawing some drama and meme views for her eternal expression. I Just highlighted Ririka and Manami because I'm happy they are getting some attention.

DC Gallery seems to have taken a liking to Sunwoo too, so we'll see if that turns into her rank rising cause her cell was 26th last Friday.

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935

boo

*¨*•.¸¸ପଓ VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭18,070
They keep showing that male judge's reactions to high notes and singings, it's getting annoying actually. It's the same face and yes, I get it the notes are not good, I can tell on my own.

Top Bottom