The Girls Planet 999 Thread :: END

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
They did an Instagram live on the Girls Planet insta that was basically each girl answering a question.

I don't know if they will take it down but someone put it up on youtube

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935

Voting on this was way harder. Had to leave out so many girls that would fit the songs and also pick girls that fit multiple songs.

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
Mnet has uploaded highlight versions of the solo cams for the girls that are gonna perform next episode.
Little Mix - Salute
Arai Risako, Cai Bing, Chiayi, Hayase Hana, Kim Doah, Kim Hyerim, Shima Moka, Yoon Jia and Zhang Luofei.
Taeyeon - All About You
Choi Yeyoung, Huang Xingqiao and Sakurai Miu.
Lee Sunhee - Fate
Choi Yujin, Kang Yeseo, May, Shen Xiaoting, Su Ruiqi and Yamauchi Moana.
ITZY - In the Morning
Fu Yaning, Huh Jiwon and Sakamoto Mashiro.
IU - My Sea
Jeong Jiyoon, Kim Chaehyun, Li Yiman, Nonaka Shana, Sakamoto Shihona and Xu Ziyin.
SMTM9 - VVS
Kamimoto Kotone, Lee Chaeyun and Liang Jiao.
2PM - My House
Kuwahara Ayana, Seo Youngeun and Wang Yale.

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
Episode 6 down.

Not really a big fan of the songs they picked and how they distributed the positions. A couple of them it feels like they just wanted to go for the shock value of this is a vocal song but you are gonna dance or the opposite. Don't really see the point in that. Fishing for viral stuff very rarely works, I would rather they just chose stuff that made more sense for a better performance. I also feel like they always overestimate how many girls will want to do rap and it always ends up with girls that don't want to being stuck in a rap performance. They didn't even have that many rap positions just 2 groups of 3 and a few raping parts on the group songs. I think they would be fine with just one rap group specially considering most kpop songs have an obligatory rap in them already. Also by picking some non kpop songs they basically gave the Chinese and Japanese girls some major handicap. I really think they should stick with kpop songs and at most a very popular western pop song or two.

Both kpop companies and audition shows are super into self-produced stuff and I'm not a fan of it. I know even in PD101 the girls did some arrangement and choreographing but it wasn't a big selling point and a big part of the narrative of the show. Not everyone that wants to be a kpop idol wants to or has any aptitude for either and I feel like it's a very unfair thing to judge the girls on. I would rather they kept it behind the cameras and only focus on it if they did it particularly well rather then pretend is a requirement for idols and pass it off as a shortcoming on the show when someone isn't a great choreographer or music arranger. This is why the trainers and producers are super important to guide the girls. I don't know if it's just the editing but it does feel like they are not doing anything to help the girls just giving them unnecessary stress for stuff they won't have to do at all when they debut. Feels a lot like drama baiting for the sake of ratings.

The benefit for winning the mission along with the planet pass figures to do the same thing as the first mission. Not gonna change much except a couple of girls might get saved and a few positions will swap. All things considered I don't have a problem with that. Considering how inherently arbitrary the judging is I like that not everyone that wins the mission will be immediately elevated to not being eliminated but if you are close it's just enough to push you over the line. The planet pass I like in theory not super happy how they used it in practice. I like the idea of saving a girl that wasn't popular but has more to show, but don't like the trainers playing producer and trying to save girls they think fit the idea of what they want the group to be. The pressure they put on Ruan felt completely unnecessary and undeserved. She didn't pick herself to be the planet pass, the trainers did. If they think she isn't talented enough they shouldn't be putting the pressure on her. It's their fault for not picking the girl that had more talent.

They edited Jiao as if she just picked rap position for no reason, but her cell was 3rd last to pick and her choices were the rap group, Salute dance group or vocal+rap Btob song. None really match her since her vocals don't seem great and Salute is a girl crush song.

Yaning seems to be really good at focusing on concept. For now she has only done strong concepts so it's hard to tell if she would have the same level of focus if it was a more cute or gentle concept, but it seems like she has a clear image of what she wants to present and that's pretty cool. Very useful to have in a group when most girls don't even have that factor in when they are so busy just worrying about singing and dancing properly.

I don't agree with what the music director said to Yeyoung team. Yes the original song is more emotional but you told the girls to rearrange the song and looking at the lyrics I don't see why trying to make the song more upbeat and cute wouldn't work. The lyrics focus more on the hope of meeting again and rekindling their love rather than sorrow for losing it so a cute take on it would be fine. If you want them to do a straight cover of the song or just perform the particular way you want it just drop the pretense and give the girls the finished product rather than have them jump through hoops for no reason just to get where you want them to. Yeyoung took it well though and just moved on. It felt very pointless watching though.

Yale got a very rough edit again. Last time they just glossed over her performance and played it off as if it was great so we'll see what they do now. I got a feeling she would work better as a soloist writing her own stuff for herself though than being part of a girl group. Don't know if her company made her join the show or what, but she doesn't seem super interested on being part of a group just doing her own thing. Which is fine, I think she has the vocal talent to do well as a solo singer.

Their pressure on Yurina also felt very unnecessary. They always do this and I always feel like they are missing the point. I think the trainers buy in to the fallacy that kpop is about talent when it really isn't. The most popular people are not the most talented and they should stop trying to equate one to the other. The one thing I would agree is don't do it if you can't. Yurina is perfectly fine as a lead or sub vocal don't try to be a main vocal. You don't need to do it. You don't need to the main vocal or main dancer just because you got the most votes. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Just do the best you can do in your position.

I think the production crew wanted the We Are performance to have a similar impact as the You Look Good performance from Produce 101 had but it just doesn't land it well. The original lyrics are about being looked down on while just trying to make a living and working hard for your dreams, the rap the girls wrote was more of a bland I'm practicing till late at night and that's good which doesn't really elicit any kind of deep emotion. If you compare it to what the You Look Good lyrics that were about the cruelty and unfairness of being judged by people getting just a warped glimpse of their hard work trying to achieve a dream while watching people they grew attached to and worked hard side by side be eliminated. It just doesn't have the same depth and intricacy of complex feelings. I feel like when the PDs picked the song they imagined something similarly touching even if not directly inspired by the PD101 performance. I don't blame the girls because first none of them are rappers and they are just young kids that want to be idols. It's not everyone that can just write a very touching and emotional rap. I think the performance fell a bit flat. I'm not surprised Manami had some good sense of rhythm because she does taiko and that is a huge part of any percussion based performance. She did well considering she was rapping in a language she can't speak. Bora did well too, but also not surprising considering she is a pretty good singer herself and that comes with a pretty good sense of rhythm. Wenzhe also did well. Still the performance lacked impact. If they got actual rappers to do this like what was the case for at least 2 of the 3 on the PD101 performance maybe they manage to put out a memorable performance. I just can't help but feel like it would have been better if this was a straight up dance or vocal performance rather than rap. It's a waste to not have Bora on a vocal performance and I think both Manami and Wenzhe would suit it better even if the latter doesn't fit the same image as the first 2. The girls did their job to the best of their abilities but the performance wasn't too impressive.

I'm not gonna judge the choreography of the Ice Cream performance because I don't think it should be part of the evaluation or the point of the show. Overall everyone did well enough and I didn't notice any mistakes. Ruan, Myah and Ririka overdid their expressions at parts, but not a huge problem. Ruan, Myah and Nancy looked a bit stiff with their dance moves. No one really stood out to me but everyone did fine. Bahiyyih improved her expressions a bit but still had a few blank expressions. Xinwei looked better dancing. I wasn't blown away like the trainers seemed to be but I also didn't think the girls lacked much. I'm not a fan of this song so maybe that played into it a bit.

I don't think the girls or the producers get the point of the song on the No Excuses performance. They played it off like an annoyed girlfriend being clingy in the intro and the girls expressions were more straight up bright and cheery than the more sassy cheeky tone the song has. It's not surprising the girls don't get it because they are all between 17 and 19 years old from conservative countries. The producers on the other hand should have known better. This is another song that maybe the theme was just not a fit for the show. It's hard to do western pop because the themes will be mostly adult and I think they need to do a deeper dive before picking songs from that catalogue imo. The girls all danced well. You can kind of see their strengths and weaknesses. Hikaru seemed to do a better job with putting energy in her moves while Suyeon had more detail.

Missing You was a pretty solid performance. It's hard for me to tell how much Hyewon is improving. She continues to show a sweet voice but still missing a few things like proper projection at parts and breathing. Cheukying intro was a bit robotic and lacked emotion but she did well rapping. Nothing outstanding but a perfectly fine showing. I wish Xinyu could have sang more. It's a shame she had to mostly rap because she seems to be a decent singer with a nice voice. They played up Yurina struggling a lot but even in the interim check I didn't think she did that poorly. She did fine in the performance. She shouldn't be a main vocal but in a lead to subvocal part she is completely fine. The pressure they put on her feels completely pointless. Reina definitely stood out in this performance. Her best performance so far. Got to showcase her biggest strength in her vocals and she delivered. Jeongmin also did very well. Very pleasing voice with pretty good idea on how to use it. I wish she were on a 3 person vocal team so I could hear her singing more. It doesn't look like she is gonna survive because she was 17th on the individual ranking and got zero focus on this episode. It's a shame. I wonder what TOP media is going to do with her because I don't know what other trainees they have besides her and Myah. I hope TOP manages to debut her because there are way too many produce series girls that never got to debut and it's a huge shame.

From what they keep teasing it looks like Yeseo is going to use her acting chops to portray the emotion of Fate very well. She is clearly a favorite of the show but I still feel like she is a very precarious position in the voting. We'll see if she gains more fans or if she faces some resistance. I hope she makes it but can see a tragic favored but ends in 10th kind of situation.

Right at the cutoff point Dayeon fell from 7th, Xinwei fell from 5th and Kotone rose from 13th. Seems like there is gonna be a bit of a shake up in the rankings come elimination time. This time I imagine about 8 girls I've been rooting for will be eliminated. With the produce series I usually end with only a couple girls I voted for in the final performance. It doesn't help that I mostly vote for the girls that I think are in danger of elimination but close enough that my vote counts.

The creation songs all seem pretty nice. Better than previous series imo. We'll see how they turn out in the full version. I like the concepts they went for pretty standard which I think is the best for the girls to showcase their talents. You have a girl crush song, a standard pop song, a more vocal oriented song and a more dance club style song. It was very hard voting for which girls fit the songs on the Universe app. Had to make some hard choices on who to leave out. It's gonna be real interesting seeing who survives the next elimination and how they distribute the parts for the songs.

I'm a bit worried that interest on the show in Korea isn't huge and that might affect how the group that debuts does. We'll have to wait and see on that. Maybe all factors combined of the rigging scandal, the idol fatigue Korea is going through, having Japanese and Chinese contestants and the pandemic exhaustion and financial setbacks conspire to people in Korea not caring as much about this show. Hopefully they get the loyal and passionate idol fans that drives their sales at least if they don't get the genral korean populace interest.

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭162,100
Episode 6 down

The songs chosen are questionable I agree. And with few times to practice they had to self produce like arrangement and choreo ?

Jiao looks so lost

Yaning already did some cute performance. I think she can pull well other concepts.

Next elimination round will be more impacful with more noticeable girls who will leave. Especially the K-group where the competition is harsh.

No idea how this group would do compared to IZ*ONE with the rigging scandal, with the Chinese idols being part of the group, with the survival show concept, etc.

frostpuddle

Global Star Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭81,763
Episode 6 down.

Not really a big fan of the songs they picked

Their pressure on Yurina also felt very unnecessary. They always do this and I always feel like they are missing the point. I think the trainers buy in to the fallacy that kpop is about talent when it really isn't. The most popular people are not the most talented and they should stop trying to equate one to the other. The one thing I would agree is don't do it if you can't. Yurina is perfectly fine as a lead or sub vocal don't try to be a main vocal. You don't need to do it. You don't need to the main vocal or main dancer just because you got the most votes. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Just do the best you can do in your position.
Agree on these points

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
Yaning already did some cute performance. I think she can pull well other concepts.

I didn't mean it so much as being able to perform a cute song but more like she seems to have a very clear vision of what she wants the stage to look like when it's a strong concept, like with Helicopter and In the Morning she was very proactive about how she thought it would be best to portray the song and I don't know if she is just good at focusing on concepts in general or if she just is very interested in girl crush concepts and wouldn't be that proactive if it were a more cutesy type of performance. It's nice to know she does well on cute concepts too though.

They've uploaded a fixed cam one shot version of the performances from episode 6.

And ep 7 teaser

Behind the scenes pictures of the combination mission groups.

Team Salute

Team VVS

Team All About You

Team Missing You

Team In the Morning

Team We Are

Team Ice Cream
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTwcQyFBq-E/

Team My Sea
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTwcUfiBhCL/

Team My House
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTwcZUlBeVU/

Team Fate
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTwccQoBNwV/

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935

25 girls reached their goal and posted a video on the Universe app. Yujin, Myah, Yeseo, Bora, Chaehyun, Kim Dayeon, Doah, Suyeon, Youngeun, Jia, Cai Bing, Xinwei, Xingqiao, Jiao, Xiaoting, Ruiqi, Yale, Hikaru, Yurina, Ririka, Ayana, May, Manami, Shana and Mashiro.

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935

The girls to have a special stage on KCON:TACT HI 5 on this Sunday the 19th.

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭162,100
Well, Cai Bing is saved for the next roung but unless she redeems herself I don't see her making far after this episode. What a terrible thing to do, moreover she's one of the top Chinese contestants, she wasn't in danger. She dug her own grave and Mnet didn't even need to evil edit her.

It looks like only Xiaoting and Ruiqi seems to have Mnet's favor, all other C-Group girls had little screen time or was evil edited. Except for Yaning who is slowly rising and getting praised after the first ep.

Yujin, Ruiqi, Xiaoting and Yeseo, unless something goes wrong I think they'll be part of the final group. Mashiro is also doing great.

frostpuddle

Global Star Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭81,763
Well, Cai Bing is saved for the next roung but unless she redeems herself I don't see her making far after this episode. What a terrible thing to do, moreover she's one of the top Chinese contestants, she wasn't in danger. She dug her own grave and Mnet didn't even need to evil edit her.

It looks like only Xiaoting and Ruiqi seems to have Mnet's favor, all other C-Group girls had little screen time or was evil edited. Except for Yaning who is slowly rising and getting praised after the first ep.

Yujin, Ruiqi, Xiaoting and Yeseo, unless something goes wrong I think they'll be part of the final group. Mashiro is also doing great.
Chiayi needs to debut :sanapray:
She'll make a superb dance duo with Xiaoting

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935

Full version and individual cams:

Team Girl's Poem performing Taeyeon - All About You
Full version
Choi Yeyoung, Huang Xingqiao and Sakurai Miu.

Team V V Yes performing SMTM9 - VVS
Full version
Kamimoto Kotone, Lee Chaeyun and Liang Jiao.

Team MaJiYa performing ITZY - In the Morning
Full version
Fu Yaning, Huh Jiwon and Sakamoto Mashiro.

Team The Sea performing IU - My Sea
Full version
Jeong Jiyoon, Kim Chaehyun, Li Yiman, Nonaka Shana, Sakamoto Shihona and Xu Ziyin.

Team Look performing Little Mix - Salute
Full version
Arai Risako, Cai Bing, Chiayi, Hayase Hana, Kim Doah, Kim Hyerim, Shima Moka, Yoon Jia and Zhang Luofei.

Team Dream High performing 2PM - My House
Full version
Kuwahara Ayana, Seo Youngeun and Wang Yale.

Team Present performing Lee Sun Hee - Fate
Full Version
Choi Yujin, Kang Yeseo, May, Shen Xiaoting, Su Ruiqi and Yamauchi Moana.

Team Draw the Sound performing BTOB - Missing You
An Jeongmin, Kawaguchi Yurina, Kubo Reina, Leung Cheukying, Lee Hyewon and Zhou Xinyu.

Team Mom is Cherry Bong Bong performing Blackpink - Ice Cream
Chen Hsinwei (Xinwei), Fujimoto Ayaka, Guinn Myah, Hsu Nientzu (Nancy), Huening Bahiyyih, Ikema Ruan, Kim Dayeon, Kishida Ririka and Wu Tammy.

Team Bling Cling Girls performing Meghan Trainor - No Excuses
Ezaki Hikaru, Kim Suyeon and Yang Zige.

Team Early in the Morning performing Woo Won Jae - We Are
Kim Bora, Nagai Manami and Wenzhe.

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935

yerm

I can make the beat go! Graphics Lead Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,505,706
Pronouns
she/her
Okaaay post-episode discussion time!
  • I predicted all three winning teams. My personal favourites were We Are & MITM & No Excuses (3 members), My Sea (6 members) and Ice Cream because I'm the only Tammy stan (9 members)
  • Chaehyun has been making a really positive impression with Knetz, she could be solidifying her place in the top 9 with her personality and voice
    • I saw this video today of Ma Yuling talking about Chaehyun's personality and it's so nice to hear that she's just as sweet off-stage
  • Liang Jiao was edited weirdly making her seem flaky but Liang Qiao shared that her sister was sick which was why she kept disappearing off to the loo
  • Unrelated to this episode but eliminated Chinese trainees have been talking a lot about behind the scenes of GP999 and... oof.
  • Cai Bing has really turned fans against her. Lots of praise from Knetz for Doah and how outspoken she always is
    • It won't affect this elimination but unless Cai Bing suddenly gets an angelic edit, she's gonna plummet next elimination
    • Doah might soar in ranks. She's 6th pre-elimination so if she sustains that she's safe, but she will benefit massively from increased popularity next elimination
  • Jiwon's benefit points probably saved her. Out of all Chebul, she was most likely to leave this round. We'll probably only lose some of Chebul next round
  • I predicted a while ago that Dayeon would head back to the top 9 and I think she'll be there this elimination - if she keeps shining she could stay there
  • Youngeun was so so good, if she keeps up the good work she's going to make the final at a minimum
  • I'm dead cert that Yeseo, Xiaoting and Yurina are set to debut. Yujin is very likely unless Mnet Kaeun her, Ruiqi still has a good chance but int. fans are turning against her for you-know-what

My prediction for the eliminations:

Top 9 (in no particular order): Yurina, Xiaoting, Yeseo, Yujin, Dayeon, Chaehyun, Mashiro, Hikaru (but lower in the top 9), Ziyin (I'm less cert about her but she's been getting a lot of praise lately)
Planet pass candidates: Bora/Jia/Jeongmin, Wang Yale/Wen Zhe/Yang Zige/Wu Tammy, Kotone/Ayana/Reina

Top Bottom