The Girls Planet 999 Thread :: END

frostpuddle

Global Star Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭230,763
All of them are young, from 14-15 to 25-26 so in 99 seconds it's hard to release something to stand out without doing something too crazy, too weird, etc.

K-side no surprise, either from YT or Naver : girls who debuted or known ex-trainees got the most views. Doah is surprising having good views when Fanatics is at "nugu" level. However she got CFs from Etude House which is really impressive when you know who their previous models were (Park Shinhye, 2NE1, Red Velvet, Sulli, Krystal, IOI).
Moreover those who followed P48 liked Doah for the way she behave, implying Mnet was rigging, and also because as a rapper she was good :unsure: That's what I've heard, so it's up to you to believe it or not.

If fans can vote, the Chinese contestants will win easily. I hope there is something to balance it.

Time to make my top 9-12, I don't know how many members the final team have :sip:
douban rumours says 9 members, but didn't reveal whether it's 3+3+3

GVK

Hopeless Multifan Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,390,211

This JP candidate sang Dreamcatcher Lullaby in her intro video.

No idea who she is, but new best girl. From hangul, her name is Yurina.

I FLIPPED OUT. SOMEONE ACTUALLY DID A DREAMCATCHER. Not even interested in her but I owe her some votes.

All of them are young, from 14-15 to 25-26 so in 99 seconds it's hard to release something to stand out without doing something too crazy, too weird, etc.

K-side no surprise, either from YT or Naver : girls who debuted or known ex-trainees got the most views. Doah is surprising having good views when Fanatics is at "nugu" level. However she got CFs from Etude House which is really impressive when you know who their previous models were (Park Shinhye, 2NE1, Red Velvet, Sulli, Krystal, IOI).
Moreover those who followed P48 liked Doah for the way she behave, implying Mnet was rigging, and also because as a rapper she was good :unsure: That's what I've heard, so it's up to you to believe it or not.

If fans can vote, the Chinese contestants will win easily. I hope there is something to balance it.

Time to make my top 9-12, I don't know how many members the final team have :sip:
The obvious assumption is 9 members with 3+3+3 but there's also the kinda reasonable 5+2+2

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭255,050
douban rumours says 9 members, but didn't reveal whether it's 3+3+3
The obvious assumption is 9 members with 3+3+3 but there's also the kinda reasonable 5+2+2

I see, if it's 9 members it will probably be like 5-2-2 or 4-3-2, with more Korean members. Even if 3-3-3 would be great.

GVK

Hopeless Multifan Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,390,211
So my initial picks are;

Kim Chaehyun, Kim Dayeon, Kim Yubin
Wang Yale, Cui Wenmeixiu, Chiayi
Yamauchi Moana, Oki Fuka, Aratake Rinka

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭255,050
My pick for a 3-3-3

K-Group : Yoo Dayeon, Kang Yeseo and either Doah or Rayeon

C-Group : Cai Bing, Si Ruqui and Zhang Luofei

J-Group : Ito Miyu, Kawaguchi Yurina and Sakamoto Yachiro

Last edited:

tokki

Awards Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭642,620
I see, if it's 9 members it will probably be like 5-2-2 or 4-3-2, with more Korean members. Even if 3-3-3 would be great.
Yeah, as cool as 3/3/3 would be, I can't see them actually doing it? 5/2/2 seems the most likely to me since that would be a pretty good blend of Korean and foreign members (5 vs 4). I really wish it would be more than 9 with how many promising trainees there are here, but 9 makes sense considering the show name.

lofti

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭295,490
Kim Chaehyun, huang xingqiao, Kawaguchi Yurina, and Ito Miyu are probably my favorites rn but I also have my eyes on other girls too.

Last edited:

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
Well J-group is out and as I expected nothing changed on the website for pc. Is it that hard to make a good page? Not to mention the Universe app is so bad too. It's super slow both loading stuff and reading inputs. I hate that companies just put out half-baked software out because they know the fans will still use it because they have no other choice. Rant over.

Not much changed since yesterday. Still seems like the Chinese group is lagging behind. Despite having a whole day of view time ahead of the Japanese girls they accumulate 1266k views on all 33 intro videos compared to 1399k from the J-group as of now. Obviously things will be vastly different in China, but seems like at least international fans and Korean fans are more interested in the Korean girls and Japanese girls.

Obviously the population difference gives an edge to the C-group if they don't limit voting to competing only within your group, but that will only manifest itself if the show is popular in China. Right now I have no idea how much interest China has on this show. Japan just the last few days had a few news articles about the show and the J-group performance is trending nº12 on Japanese youtube. There didn't seem to be much interest but after the J-group profiles release a little bit of a buzz is starting to form. We'll see if it catches on or dies down.

I'm not too worried about China overpowering the votes. I'm sure they will make up some arbitrary rule to make sure at least 1/3rd of the group is Korean, otherwise its bad for business. Either limit the final lineup spots by nationality or add different weights to votes, although the latter might cause some protest from the Chinese fans.

The view rankings hasn't changed much either. Su Rui Qi has 1k views over Luo Fei now is the only real change. J-group views though are slightly surprising. International fans seem to be rallying around Hikaru. She has the most views at the moment with 103k. I didn't see that coming but I can see the reason international fans like her. They love main rappers way more than Korea does. May at second is also slightly surprising. CheBu doesn't have a huge fandom and it's not like she did anything amazing on her intro vid. I get why she is popular, she is tall and pretty, but she has been like that since debut. When the CheBu members were announced I always thought May would draw attention despite being Japanese but she never got the traction I was expecting. I wonder where were all these people when they debuted or made comebacks. So weird how just being on a popular audition show makes people suddenly notice people they didn't before.

Mashiro at 3rd is pretty cool. That former JYP trainee fame with her beauty and talent working. Still not to the same level as the former SM trainees, but I'm happy for her. Also Happy for Miu and Ririka at 4th and 5th. Wasn't expecting this but I guess international fans have less qualms about supporting them compared to Korean fans. Nizi Projet giving them a little boost. Inaba Vivienne at 6th also isn't very surprising. International fans love supporting western looking people, specially when they are pretty. If she continues to grow or not though will depend on her performance. I've seen International fans jump ship when they can't cut it on stage. Ito Miyu at 7th isn't surprising either. There aren't many known popular contestants on the J-group and she was one of the first to be leaked by sns detectives way back when the girls arrived in Korea. She was rumored to be in the show even before that too so she has a modest following from back then.

Nagai Manami at 8th is also surprising. Dubbed passport girl by Koreans because she dropped her passport when she arrived in Korea, also known as Taiko girl because she is part of a taiko troupe and now Baro Naya girl. I think her father or someone that knew her leaked she was the passport girl when they first arrived, and after checking their instagram out I thought she was cute. Have kind of a soft spot for her because I like taiko so I'm happy she is getting this small attention before the show. Hope it continues and she does well. After that it's Yurina and Aratake Rinka. Both also make sense because they were the girls that were also leaked and had themselves some fans. I was expecting Yurina to be higher, but I guess she is more popular to the Korean fans than international fans.

I'm not a big fan of hidden box missions personally, so until the show airs I think my favorites won't change. I'll watch them but I find them boring, and don't really have fun when people over-react or under-react to them.

No one really stood out to me on the J-group intros. I was kind of confused by May's at the end with the crystal shoe thing. It doesn't really make sense with the plot of Cinderella, but it's not like she was trying to write a fairy tale so it's not a big deal. Manami's gave me a huge jump, those cymbal's are so loud. I was not ready for that. I thought Kyara's was a bit too bland. I don't really get what she was trying to do with her concept. Not gonna kill the girl too much, but she just sat behind a table called it a store and sang a bit. It's hard to come up with something but she doesn't seem the super creative type.

I thought Mashiro's was a bit awkward. She tried to do something fun and silly but it didn't really work too well. I think she should have gone more over the top for it to work, but that doesn't seem to be her personality. This concept needed a meme girl to pull of. She tried her best, but I don't think the concept suited her.

When I saw Moka's name I could see the puns coming. Moka Shima mochaccino. Japan loves puns. They kind of did her dirty with the costume though. It looks like something kids would do for a school project. Maybe she did it herself which would explain it.

Did they really alter a Yoshi onesie so Shihona could showcase her abs? I don't know which is weirder that or that they found a 2 piece Yoshi Kigurumi.

The kazoo thing Momoko tried was also bizarre. Don't really get what she was going for there.

I almost had a stroke trying to figure out what was changing about Fuka's lips too. Must have replayed that 5 times and still have no idea what she did.

A lot of Crayon Shin Chan and sloth mentions. Shin Chan makes sense because it's a popular kids cartoon but why so many girls are like sloths is beyond me. Is it just droopy eyes?

A few of the girls sang and had nice voices but went off-key. It's to be expected because they are all still trainees, but it could be ammo for Mnet's infamous evil editing if it happens during a performance, so I'm not looking forward to that. Some danced too, but one thing I would like to see is more control over power. A few girls made very fast and powerful moves, that were kind of wild and off-beat. It's nice having power, and it's preferable than not being able to do moves on time because you lack energy, but if you just flail your limbs as fast as you can with no regards to rhythm it just looks messy. It's all about controlled power. Sharp and impactful moves but that stay on beat and don't disrupt your balance. It's easier to learn to control your power than to develop it though so it's not a terrible thing, but a point of improvement. This isn't just a J-group thing but an overall feeling I got now that all the intro vids are out.

It's weird that the English translation on Ayaka's video mistranslates 01 for 1996 as her birth year.

It's really hard to come up with something that will make an impact and showcase your personality, so even though most girls were pretty tame with their concepts it's understandable. I don't think there are any memelord in this show. Some interesting vocals, a few sweet voices and a couple girls that had pretty decent and more advanced singing skills, but no one flashed main vocal to me. We'll see who stands out when they air the skill evaluations. Dancing I didn't catch anyone that blew me away like with a few girls in the PD series, but this was all very small sample size so I'll re-evaluate this one too when the show airs. Everyone will get a chance to show their performance skill on the show, even if they try to edit a girl entirely out they have to show the group performances at least. Now your personality you are not guaranteed to be able to show on air. That one they can and have edited it entirely out so for some girls this is the only time you get to see who they are during the show. That is why I prefer girls that go for more wacky concepts or that showcase their personality more than skill.

Now that everyone is revealed all we have to do is wait for the show to air. It's gonna be a long three weeks.

Right now my tentative favorites are Ririka and Miu for that Nizi Project connection. Mashiro for my JYP soft spot. Yeseo because she is on the same agency as Mashiro and she's pretty cute. Ito Miyu for that civilian story line and one of the first leaked girls. May just cause I like her. Manami cause taiko is pretty cool. Yurina cause I like her sweet vocals.

Not quiet fully invested in cheering for them yet but have my eye on An Jeongmin because I liked her acoustic performance. Hyerim cause she seemed to have a fun personality. Suyeon because I liked her vocals. Youngeun because I wanna see how good her dancing skill is. Rui Qi because she has a pretty charismatic presence. Xin Yu because I think she looks pretty and am curious about her performance skills. Rei because it sounded like she has pretty good voice projection and I wanna see what she can do with it, her dancing was short but it looked pretty decent so I wanna see what she can do in a full performance. Yume seemed like a fun person too so I wanna see more.

It's fairly J-group heavy which I guess reflects how I used to follow J-pop first then started paying more attention to K-pop when Japanese members caught my eye.

I'm partial towards big groups so I would be happy with a 12 person final lineup, but I know the most likely number is 9 with the whole solar system and such. I don't believe anyone is guaranteed to be in it because a lot can change between now and when the show ends. Popularity is very fickle not to mention there is potential for the show to shoot up and the huge margin Bahiyyih has now becomes not as dominant. I'm also not convinced they won't just rig the votes again and make sure a few people make or don't based on their previous biases.

The show seems to be building up steam, at least with international fans. I hope it does well and that Mnet doesn't do shady stuff. If those two things happen I can live if none of my favorites make it to the final lineup. Which is usually the case with audition shows.

lofti

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭295,490
i was shookt by huang xingqiao's visual in some of her old performance videos, like this one. she sings well too.

yea her visuals in the c33 performance was what drew me to her but i thought she was really charming in the pr video and her voice is good too. i'm surprised she hasn't caught more eyes but then again it's just the beginning.

tokki

Awards Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭642,620
Nice. I'll gladly accept any extra content.
Right - I assume we'll get C-Group's unboxing video tomorrow, then J-Group since that's been the order so far. I think they have some other short extras like these planned after that too to fill in the time before the 99 ver performance.

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
I like the welcome kit idea I just hope we get individual videos for the girls and not just this edited one.

Top Bottom