Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,260
A review of We Hunt the Flame (The Sands of Arawiya #1) by Hafsah Faizal

45913176.jpg

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐/5

Here is Goodreads' summary since I suck at writing them. :feelsblankie:

I had hoped that this one would set my heart on fire but, alas, it did not. We Hunt the Flame was solidly middle-of-the-road. I liked the world-building and Faizal clearly has a knack for writing descriptions. But those two things alone do not make a novel.

The plot and the pacing were both super slow. All of the twists are crammed in the last ~50 pages. Which I wouldn't have minded except that a good portion of the book, due to the bizarre pacing, ended up being filled with a very forced romance subplot. Ehhhhhh. This is more my problem than the book. I have little patience for romance. ?

The main characters, while interesting at the outset, didn't progress much beyond basic characteristics. Now, this may have been intentional since The Sands of Arawiya is intended to be a series ... Or it may be unintentional given that this is Faizal's first novel. Either way, you know you have a problem when the comic relief character outshines you hero(ine).

I am intrigued enough by the story (outside of the romance) and the culture that I will probably read the next installment, but I am definitely not going to rush to get it. I think Faizal could have a great future as a fantasy writer if she learns how to balance purple prose with characterization, plotting, and pacing.

And a minor nitpick: I would have liked to have the glossary printed in the book. I tend to be neurotic with fantasy novels. I want to be sure that I'm pronouncing everything correctly. :lurk2:

Hmmmm, I get nitpicky with those things too, also good pacing is a must for me, maybe I'll wait for the series to finish before I check it out.

oof, just finished reading the entire Injustice: Gods Among Us - which is around 100 single issues - prequel comics in under a day with evil Superman, it was like Marvel's Civil War event but so much more brutal. I especially liked the characterisation of Harley Quinn in this and her friendship with Black Canary. Now I just need to get my hands on the games ^^

My cousin is a huge DC fanatic, I'll see if he's read these

I can feel that I'm going to cry a lot especially if something happens to my faves (Mainly Elend, tensoon (I fucking love the relationship between the kandra and Vin, Breeze and Vin ofc):sadpepe:

OFC somthing will happen, but not Elend please, NO!
Right now my head is full of questions but I heard that Brandon wrapped up everything perfectly so I am ready!
I just love how there's no plot hole or a thing left unexplained so far, Sanderson knows what he was doing!
-----------------------

Speaking of thrillers, I highly highly recommend Sadie and especially the audiobook! The book format itself works perfectly with audiobooks (Podcast) and the voice actors did an amazing job. Plus, the story itself is amazing!

Tensoon is love. I love how Brandon has everything planned out before he writes. The conclusion of the original Mistborn trilogy was so well done I had nothing to say other than it caused me to bawl. I hope I get another Wax and Wayne book soon. You are going to enjoy the Alloy Era of the series as well, there are lots of things for fans of the original trilogy.

I am adding Sadie to the front, I meant to check it out a while ago but got into a whole lot of other stuff, time to add to my to-reads.

wiz109

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,260

Welcome, we tend to mosey along in this thread, feel free to tell us about what you are reading, any recs you have for the thread, if you have a goodreads account you don't mind sharing with the peeps here etc

wiz109

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,260
suffering from second hand embarrassment rn since I’ve only read two books this year :feelsblankie:

Tis nothing to be embarrassed about, I normally plough through books, but this year I read my first one in June, and I'm forced to take a break from the one I'm reading now due to family reasons keeping me busy

Belkiss

BTS raised themselves Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭77,065
Tis nothing to be embarrassed about, I normally plough through books, but this year I read my first one in June, and I'm forced to take a break from the one I'm reading now due to family reasons keeping me busy
I've finished the 3rd book 3 days ago (so I read the whole trilogy in June)
Don't touch me
The void I am feeling right now, how I miss the books, the world, the characters, me reading and listening. It's just painful
I still prefer the second book
Book 2>Book1>Book3
a perfect trilogy , perfect story, perfect shining five stars
and Elend is my love Ok, He's my ultimate favorite male character ever.

wiz109

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,260
I've finished the 3rd book 3 days ago (so I read the whole trilogy in June)
Don't touch me
The void I am feeling right now, how I miss the books, the world, the characters, me reading and listening. It's just painful
I still prefer the second book
Book 2>Book1>Book3
a perfect trilogy , perfect story, perfect shining five stars
and Elend is my love Ok, He's my ultimate favorite male character ever.
Elend is adorable and honestly I want to glomp him. The way he stands by Vin is the sweetest thing ever. ALSO HE IS A BOOKWORM LIKE US!!!
Book 2 was the best for me as well. But how do you feel about Rashek the Lord Ruler now and his messed up decisions?

lira

☆ la sirena ☆ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭180,535
Just finished Kingsbane and I'm speechless omg, I love this series so much! I don't see enough ppl talking about it so I'll recommend it here: if you like fantasy with complex characters, a well built mythology and lots of magic , the Empirium series is for you! There's only 2 books out (Furyborn and Kingsbane) and it's def worth checking it out~

Belkiss

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭77,065
Elend is adorable and honestly I want to glomp him. The way he stands by Vin is the sweetest thing ever. ALSO HE IS A BOOKWORM LIKE US!!!
Book 2 was the best for me as well. But how do you feel about Rashek the Lord Ruler now and his messed up decisions?
Rashek is a very interesting complex character. His decisions proves that he's not 100% a villain. He's a selfish man this is why he took the power at first but then he tried to fix some things.
My problem with book3 is how I couldn't relate to Spook. Suddenly he has chapters for his own development after being a minor character. Also, Sazed long struggle. He takes a lot of time. Well I appreciate the philosophical thinking but still the way how Elend/Vin chpaters are full of tension and suspense and then the book switches to Spook/Sazed annoyed me a bit

twitzy

ʙᴀᴅᴅɪᴇ ʙ Early Supporters
Reaction score
every tongue that rises against itzy shall fall 💋
Plus Coins
⨭2,685
I used to read books so fast, now I can barely surpass my goodreads reading challenge. I’ve had the urge to read but I think I’m just going through a reading slump rn

wiz109

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,260
Just finished Kingsbane and I'm speechless omg, I love this series so much! I don't see enough ppl talking about it so I'll recommend it here: if you like fantasy with complex characters, a well built mythology and lots of magic , the Empirium series is for you! There's only 2 books out (Furyborn and Kingsbane) and it's def worth checking it out~

I've added it to the front post

Rashek is a very interesting complex character. His decisions proves that he's not 100% a villain. He's a selfish man this is why he took the power at first but then he tried to fix some things.
My problem with book3 is how I couldn't relate to Spook. Suddenly he has chapters for his own development after being a minor character. Also, Sazed long struggle. He takes a lot of time. Well I appreciate the philosophical thinking but still the way how Elend/Vin chpaters are full of tension and suspense and then the book switches to Spook/Sazed annoyed me a bit

Yeah the focus on Spook was a little jarring, but I can kind of see why it was done that way, he idolized Kelsier so it was easier to affect him and use him in to further the plot. I thought the ending for Sazed played well, and his development as a character was key to the plot. Can't wait to see what you have to say about Wax and Wayne and a certain someones questionable moral actions there. I didn't think there was any way I could feel sorry for the Lord Ruler because of his cruelty...but man I was wrong.

I used to read books so fast, now I can barely surpass my goodreads reading challenge. I’ve had the urge to read but I think I’m just going through a reading slump rn

I have the same thing going on, and now I am craving to finish the book I started but I can't because I know I'll be using it as a crutch to avoid studying for an interview I have coming up that is giving me crazy nerves

lira

☆ la sirena ☆ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭180,535
to the grishaverse fans out there <3

Pandaa

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭637,672
Finished Kalfka on the shore by Murakami. I feel like I didn't understand it at all :cry::cry: Also, unlike other Murakami novels, none of the main characters or themes were relatable to me. So 3.5/5 and my least favourite of his books so far

Belkiss

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭77,065
After mistborn, I wanted to pick an easy read to change my mood a little bit. I chose The Hating Game. A shit book. Don't bother
------------
Then I started nevernight by Jay kristoff
I've been warned that it's not an easy book and that the writing style at the beginning is torture but it gets easier afterwards
An a non native in English, I struggled but I pushed through and it's true, once you reach 100 pages, the complexity lessens
Difficult writing style aside, I am enjoying the book so much . It's an adult fantasy. Brutal and dark but also humorous. I mean the book literally starts with "People often shit themselves when they die."
LMAO
Finished station eleven. Gave it 2 stars. It's well written but I am not the right target audience for such books. Another widely popular book I end up disappointed with this year (after circe, I found that one a pain in the ass. I couldn't even finish it
I read my books with audiobooks aloud . I listen and follow. They help me read faster and enjoy the books so much more especially if the voice actors are amazing

wiz109

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,260
After mistborn, I wanted to pick an easy read to change my mood a little bit. I chose The Hating Game. A shit book. Don't bother
------------
Then I started nevernight by Jay kristoff
I've been warned that it's not an easy book and that the writing style at the beginning is torture but it gets easier afterwards
An a non native in English, I struggled but I pushed through and it's true, once you reach 100 pages, the complexity lessens
Difficult writing style aside, I am enjoying the book so much . It's an adult fantasy. Brutal and dark but also humorous. I mean the book literally starts with "People often shit themselves when they die."
LMAO
Finished station eleven. Gave it 2 stars. It's well written but I am not the right target audience for such books. Another widely popular book I end up disappointed with this year (after circe, I found that one a pain in the ass. I couldn't even finish it
I read my books with audiobooks aloud . I listen and follow. They help me read faster and enjoy the books so much more especially if the voice actors are amazing

You are going to like Warbreaker, it's not as great as Mistborn, but I loved the plot

misaka

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭580
Lux Series by Jennifer Armentrout. It's a young adult fantasy adventure novel and has a total of 8 (as far as I know). I'm at the 3rd book already and I only discovered it last week.

Obsidian (Lux 1)
Oblivion (Lux 1.5) - basically Lux1 plot but the main guy POV
Onyx (Lux 2)
Opal (Lux3)
Origin (Lux 4)
Opposition (Lux 5)

Shadows Lux 0 & 0.5 - it's a prequel. Haven't read it yet but this is the story of the MC brother.

I stop reading book since 2017, I guess... I just discovered this story in Chapters Interactive Stories and I'm instantly hooked. I ended up looking for the book instead of playing the game coz the story is really interesting. I highly recommended this one (y)(y)

Last edited:

wiz109

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,260
Lux Series by Jennifer Armentrout. It's a young adult fantasy adventure novel and has a total of 8 (as far as I know). I'm at the 3rd book already and I only discovered it last week.

Obsidian (Lux 1)
Oblivion (Lux 1.5) - basically Lux1 plot but the main guy POV
Onyx (Lux 2)
Opal (Lux3)
Origin (Lux 4)
Opposition (Lux 5)

Shadows Lux 0 & 0.5 - it's a prequel. Haven't read it yet but this is the story of the MC brother.

I stop reading book since 2017, I guess... I just discovered this story in Chapters Interactive Stories and I'm instantly hooked. I ended up looking for the book instead of playing the game coz the story is really interesting. I highly recommended this one (y)(y)

Will add to the recs in the front

Other authors take note bitches...looking at you Rothfuss

Also would love a video game based on Mistborn

Belkiss

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭77,065
You are going to like Warbreaker, it's not as great as Mistborn, but I loved the plot
This is why I needed to read a shit book after Mistborn so that I "come back to reality" since the feeling were still strong so I wouldn't end up comparing every fanatsy book to Mistborn.
Now I can read Fantasy with ease (the after effects of Mistborn faded) and enjoy hem

Top Bottom