SENSITIVE CONTENT The Official Coronavirus Thread

Bom

夢を諦めないで Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭97,680

I think they're dealing with it well, keeping strict measures in place.

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
Korea has done a tremendous job of containing the virus, but they should have never opened the nightclubs. Even in european countries where they are easing the restrictions and returning many things to normal, nightclubs are still shut.

Infections in Itaewon clubs spread across nation

Yeah, not being in lockdown is a boon, but I think closing the nightclubs and similar services probably wouldn't make much of a difference economically compared to the risk.

Similarly Singapore were doing great, but some relapse resulted in more cases as well.

We are still learning how to deal with this. So far Taiwan, HK, and New Zealand are the true winners with Vietnam and Uruguay which aren't talked about much.

SK is doing decently, but because everyone else is botching their efforts, I think they are just doing average actually. When dealing with human lives, I think we need to be harsh at judging results.

Still it will be interesting to see if SK robust response can still be effective at dealing with more and more clusters reappearing and keeping their economy open.

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭161,050
End of total lockdown here in France, except for some schools, bar, restaurant, university, sport clubs, etc.

We'll see how that will progress

with*one

all i wanna do ♡
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭679,200
i hope the coronavirus dies down quickly

my life has been going downhill ever since the covid-19 pandemic started

• Sad
Reactions: Bom

BianTwo

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭161,050
How is it going?

I'll tell you more at the end of the month. But it seems like almost everyone wanted to go out. We can go out up to 100 km from our home, more if it's really important (medical reason, help a relative, etc).

Social distancing, wearing mask, the same usual thing is maintained but I don't how many people are keeping these safety habits. Some people feared a second wave, a second lockdown.

Bom

夢を諦めないで Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭97,680
I'll tell you more at the end of the month. But it seems like almost everyone wanted to go out. We can go out up to 100 km from our home, more if it's really important (medical reason, help a relative, etc).

Social distancing, wearing mask, the same usual thing is maintained but I don't how many people are keeping these safety habits. Some people feared a second wave, a second lockdown.

Thank you. I'm in the UK and people are going to the beach, countryside and being stupid. :cry: Which I can understand, it's hard being locked up.
Wish we'd have done it more like you guys though. We can now go wherever we want, hardly anyone wears a mask, most social distance but still..

I fear a second wave. Our schools may be going back in June. It's too soon. :(
I hope people can stick to it - in every country. I'd hate to see this get way worse again.

GuardianofTheCosmicRealm

Servant Of Luda Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭229,700
I think Korea is now facing the second wave :(

Pyron

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
There are some good news from countries like New Zealand and Montenegro seem to be on the clean (however, not sure about their plan to open their tourism industry soon).

However, places like SK are facing a relapse. Although numbers aren't that big, it seems like a fine line to walk on. Hope it doesn't escalate and they can trace every case and quarantine them properly, but it seems to be a disaster in the waiting even with their robust systems.

Now USA is a dumpster fire. Places opening even thou the first wave didn't even finish properly. Protests and riots may make things worse. LA was in a pretty worrying situation, but it was pretty much in control all things considered, but I'm not sure about this with protests going on.

We have to remind ourselves that this pandemic is just about 6 to 7 months old. Worldwide, the rate of growth is still pretty upward. People are getting complacent and we are still nowhere near the end of this as a whole.

BianTwo

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭161,050
More than two weeks after the end of the total lockdown here in France :

- No sign of a second wave even when most people went out, that's a great news
- Shops are really cautious, restaurant you can only order and take away food

If everything keeps doing alright almost everything will be open again. But no big events like concert without the social distanciation.

• Love

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
Thank you. I'm in the UK and people are going to the beach, countryside and being stupid. :cry: Which I can understand, it's hard being locked up.
Wish we'd have done it more like you guys though. We can now go wherever we want, hardly anyone wears a mask, most social distance but still..

I fear a second wave. Our schools may be going back in June. It's too soon. :(
I hope people can stick to it - in every country. I'd hate to see this get way worse again.
Schools being open or closed don't seem to affect the spread much

Bom

夢を諦めないで Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭97,680
Schools being open or closed don't seem to affect the spread much

Thank god!

I'm still worried about second wave since people have been gathering in very large crowds here but I'm staying home for now. :LOL:

Bom

夢を諦めないで Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭97,680
Black and Asian ethnic groups up to twice as likely to die with COVID-19, says Public Health England

People from black and Asian ethnic groups are up to twice as likely to die with COVID-19 than those from a white British background, according to a Public Health England report.

People of Bangladeshi ethnicity were found to have around twice the risk of death.

Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, Other Asian, Caribbean and Other Black ethnicities had between 10 and 50% greater risk of dying.

The highest diagnosis rate per 100,000 population was in black ethnic groups (486 in females and 649 in males) and the lowest in white ethnic groups (220 in females and 224 in males).

The report said its findings confirm "the impact of COVID-19 has replicated existing health inequalities and, in some cases, has increased them".

Advertisement
Health Secretary Matt Hancock said coming from a non-white background was a "major risk factor" when it comes to the pandemic.

He welcomed the report and told the Commons: "Black lives matter - as do those of the poorest areas of our country, which have worse health outcomes."

Mr Hancock said action was needed to "level up" the situation.

The report's deaths analysis of people in BAME groups accounts for the effects of sex, age, deprivation and region.

However, it does not include the effects of underlying health conditions and obesity.

Public Health England (PHE) said there is evidence that when these are included "the difference in risk of death among hospitalised patients is greatly reduced".

A person's job was also not factored into the PHE analysis, which the report said was an "important shortcoming".

"Occupation is associated with risk of being exposed to COVID-19 and we know some key occupations have a high proportion of workers from BAME groups," said the authors.

Analysis: BAME community angry that no direct action is set out to protect lives

By Inzamam Rashid, Sky correspondent

This report's data was due to take into account adjustments for obesity, underlying health conditions and occupation, but it didn't and this is concerning because it doesn't give us the full and true impact of COVID-19 on this community.

The terms of reference published by Public Health England highlighted that this review would also offer some form of recommendations to the government "to reduce disparities in risk outcomes from COVID-19 on the population".

The review has failed to offer those recommendations and speaking to people in the BAME community, they are angry that no direct action or concrete steps are set out to protect lives.

On 7 May, Sky News political editor Beth Rigby asked the foreign secretary in the Downing Street press briefing whether BAME people should be shielding because ONS data suggested people from this community are up to twice as likely to die from COVID-19.

The response from Dominic Raab at the time was "no" and that we should "wait until the review is published".

Questions now need to be asked about why action, like shielding for these vulnerable people, wasn't implemented when this data was prevalent.

The report follows Sky News analysis at the peak of the pandemic which found nearly three quarters of all NHS and social care staff who died with coronavirus were from a BAME background.

The relationship between ethnicity and health is "complex and likely to be the result of a combination of factors", said the report.

It said BAME groups were likely to be at increased risk of infection because they are more likely to live in urban areas, in crowded households, in deprived areas, and in jobs that expose them to higher risk.

It said they were also more likely to have been born abroad and therefore could experience cultural or language barriers in accessing services.

There is also a greater risk when people from BAME communities become infected.

"Some co-morbidities which increase the risk of poorer outcomes from COVID-19 are more common among certain ethnic groups," said the report.

t said people from Bangladeshi and Pakistani backgrounds have higher rates of cardiovascular disease, while black people have higher rates of hypertension.

"Data from the National Diabetes Audit suggests that type II diabetes prevalence is higher in people from BAME communities," added the report's authors.

Aside from ethnicity, the study found age was the largest disparity factor when it comes to risk and outcomes associated with COVID-19.

Source

Pyron

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
I think people are fed up with Coronavirus news and the recent news cycle just moved to greener pastures. However, this disease doesn't care about this. It still in the wild with way more people infected around, but the public in heavily affected areas are starting to act like it's gone.

Hopefully these protests won't add too much to the count. However, the shift in attention from the public may prove dangerous when a second wave arrives. We saw how damaging this was when governments and the public simply ignored all the signs and didn't prepare.

It saddens me how Brazil is being affected and the central government isn't giving a shit about it and just using it to ravage the Amazon region more or pass shitty legislation under the hood (well pretty sure Brazil isn't alone in this).

It feels like forever, but it was just half a year.

Pyron

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
Passing 70K a day. Probably it may be 100K as testing capability as still not quite there after all the half-assed lockdown. Sadly nothing of value was gained. No lesson learnt. Just a waste of time and lives. USA could have tighten the lockdown while increase testing capability and emergency ICUs. Also, it should have launched an information campaign against misinformation and recommending strict guidelines to citizens and businesses.

Nothing was done and USA is out of ideas. Fauci made a 100K/day prediction months ago. People looked at the numbers and called him alarmist to say the least. Now his prediction is closer to reality. A reality lot of Americans still refuses. We looked at China, South Korea, and Italy and we just mocked their efforts. Taiwan is there as an example on how to deal with it and yet, USA dismisses their expertise.

This is the price of a collective brainfart.

GuardianofTheCosmicRealm

Servant Of Luda Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭229,700
I know a lot of people are skeptical and I myself is. But I really hope it works. Even if it just give a a couple months of immunity, it would give us a fighting chance.

Top Bottom