The Official LGBTQIA+ Thread

Delphine

Certified Sommungchi Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,350
I know but we didn't have an LGBT thread like this one in the old OH.

I wonder if it's just plainly because nobody thought of creating it, and because the "which idol is gay/lesbian" was already kinda serving its purpose as a LGBT den. Maybe we just missed the opportunity here.

mapo

Lurker Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,550
hi im lesbian and i love girls so much :love:

is it okay if i share stories about my dates or maybe rant a bit about annoying ex here

Love a good date story!
I want to start dating again too but im so bad at it I always feel sorry for my date lol.

Nimz

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭684,545
I've known for years (since I was about 15) that I'm not straight, but I'm not exactly sure what I am. I'm kind of comfortable not putting an exact label on it. I just like people, regardless of their gender.

Marshmallow

Hallyu+'s favorite yoongi supremacist ❤️ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭51,925
I get really annoyed when I see people act like LGBT+ have to stay in line for their rights.

I saw a lot of replies under a tweet that suggested that mandatory LGBT education shouldn't come before mandatory education about black history. I am for both but I kind of pissed me off because it implied that gay people have to stay in line.

The same when I see tweets of feminists who make it clear that they think that a woman should become president before a gay man.

It implies that gay rights achievements are of lesser importance and that there can't be intersectionality between all of those identities.

Delphine

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,350
I get really annoyed when I see people act like LGBT+ have to stay in line for their rights.

I saw a lot of replies under a tweet that suggested that mandatory LGBT education shouldn't come before mandatory education about black history. I am for both but I kind of pissed me off because it implied that gay people have to stay in line.

The same when I see tweets of feminists who make it clear that they think that a woman should become president before a gay man.

It implies that gay rights achievements are of lesser importance and that there can't be intersectionality between all of those identities.

As a general rule, seeing someone diminishing a social cause to elevate another one is a big no-no by my book. All causes deserve attention and all are important one way or the other, and since they all feed and intersect with one another in many ways, I find it more ineresting to celebrate achievements of all minorities, even though some achievements are bound to make me even happier due to the very nature of my own identities, but... yeah like you said, I think it's silly to pit oppressed people against each other, and hella counter-productive as well.

unicorn

Gay Street Fighter
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,684,131
can anyone recommend me good tv shows/movies where a lesbian character is relevant, not just some side character and have good writings? (wow im asking too much) most lesbian character on tv are always dead or characters that got sidelined

ive heard of gentleman jack, but im not a fan of historical drama like that. but if its good i might try watching them

Jobless Zeus

#1 Procrastinator 🐱‍🚀 Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭128,795
Hello everyone. Happy pride month to the beautiful people of this community.
I identify as queer, it's rather vague but I find labels really confusing I identified as bisexual since I was 16 but I found the label too limiting since I was attracted to anyone regardless of how they identify as, then I figured the pansexual label but there was a lot of conflict about its meaning and how it differs from bisexuality. I have a preference towards females (same sex) regardless if they are cis or trans.
I must point that I live in a religious country and being queer is a crime punished by law, I've been in the closet for 8 years and it honestly feels suffocating. Online forums are my only safe haven, even though the queer community exists in my country but it's extremely small and it's almost impossible having a long term relationship with a same sex partner one can only dream. I am sorry I know it's depressing but I just wanted to vent out.

can anyone recommend me good tv shows/movies where a lesbian character is relevant, not just some side character and have good writings? (wow im asking too much) most lesbian character on tv are always dead or characters that got sidelined

ive heard of gentleman jack, but im not a fan of historical drama like that. but if its good i might try watching them

Carol, blue is the warmest color, disobedience these are some of the good lesbian themed movies
For series there is gypsy on netflix

Delphine

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,350

The L Word is the ultimate Lesbian TV Show, without a single doubt in my mind.
I know it's probably looking like an old show now (it aired from 2004 to 2009), but, ugh, watching it during my teen years was, now that I think of it, extremely formative and important. I don't think I have seen a TV show with that much Lesbian/bisexual representation, and I love it for that.
Also, a whole new season is coming out very soon (they said later in 2019) so it's a good opportunity to start the 6 seasons so that you can catch up on the new one when it'll get released!

(sorry for the potato quality but that's all i could find lol i cry this show deserves high quality smh)

I think it's on Netflix, but I'm not sure. If not, good old µtorrent is at your disposal!

Other TV shows with Lesbian representation, some that I enjoyed, some that I barely remember (sadly):

- The Bold Type (contains a bisexual main character that has an interesting awakening, with lesbian characters that are a breathe of fresh air. It is a show about fashion though, and it's a little bit goody-two-shoes at times, so if you're not into that, don't bother?)
- Killing Eve (contains main characters that clearly have sexual attraction to one another, although the lesbian label isn't used because that's not the main focus of the show anyway, it's still a hella good show to watch in general)
- Grey's Anatomy (sorry to say, but despite the cheesiness it's been criticized for, this show has actually always been way ahead of its time in terms of racial, gender and sexual representation, and I love it for that)
- The 100 (although ugh yeah some lesbian characters can die, but to be fair... this show is the type of show in which A LOT of people die all the damn time)
- The Bisexual (a UK show that is about someone who realizes after breaking up with their long-term girlfriend, that they might be bisexual, with all the awkwardness that ensues, it's fun and light-hearted)
- Lip Service (I don't remember it well, I watched it a long time ago, it wasn't so memorable tbh but it's explicitly about the lives of lesbians in UK)
- Orphan Black (some characters are clearly lesbian and have nice/compelling love stories, even though that's absolutely not the main focus of the show)
- Grown-ish (again, some side-character is lesbian and we follow some of her relationships/adventures, but she's not that important of a character tbh)

In terms of movies, here the ones that truly left a mark on me:

- Show Me Love/Fucking Åmål (I watched this during my teen years, it was a breath of fresh air in terms of lesbian representation, and I think is an iconic movie in that regard to many lesbians/bisexuals I know)
- Shortbus (like the previous movie, watched this as a very young adult, it was very liberating and overall nice, although now that I think about it, I'm not sure I remember precisely any lesbian representation, but it sure as hell is QUEER AS FUCK, so you might still wanna give it a try. It explicitly shows sexual relationships though, be warned!)
- Imagine Me & You (you know, sometimes we just need a fun fluffy lesbian romantic comedy, and this one totally delivers! I really loved Piper Perabo in this, the chemistry with her co-lead was absolutely felt! AND HER CO-LEAD IS LENA HEADEY YES IT'S GAY CERSEI YOU GUYS!)
- With Every Heartbeat/Kyss Mig (we love a fluffy lesbian romantic comedy, but in Swedish this time! Although it should be noted this one is a tiny bit less light-hearted than Imagine Me & You, in the sense there's a more drama side to it, but it's also pretty damn good!)
- Water Lilies/La Naissance Des Pieuvres (a true masterpiece, if you ask me. I absolutely love Sciamma's work, she's a woman, she's a lesbian, and she's out there directing movies that are amazing, a true queen. Water Lilies is so precious, as it not only is about lesbian love, but also the awkward yet beautiful discovery of sexual attraction as teenagers, she perfectly captures the awkwardness of it all, along with the fragility, beauty and purity of it all. I really love this movie!)

Then there's the mainstream movies hits like Carol or Blue Is The Warmest Color, but I honestly think those are... not as good. And definitely not lesbian feel-good movies in the slightest, for sure. I mean I'm glad they exist, don't get me wrong, but ugh, yeah, my list includes some films that will surely make you feel GOOD, and not just, y'know, heartbroken and depressed.

Last edited:

Delphine

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,350
Hello everyone. Happy pride month to the beautiful people of this community.
I identify as queer, it's rather vague but I find labels really confusing I identified as bisexual since I was 16 but I found the label too limiting since I was attracted to anyone regardless of how they identify as, then I figured the pansexual label but there was a lot of conflict about its meaning and how it differs from bisexuality. I have a preference towards females (same sex) regardless if they are cis or trans.
I must point that I live in a religious country and being queer is a crime punished by law, I've been in the closet for 8 years and it honestly feels suffocating. Online forums are my only safe haven, even though the queer community exists in my country but it's extremely small and it's almost impossible having a long term relationship with a same sex partner one can only dream. I am sorry I know it's depressing but I just wanted to vent out.

I personally adopted the bisexual term, but I, in no way, limit myself to only two genders, nor draw a line with cis/trans. I claimed it because, to me, it just means that I'm attracted to the gender that is similar to mine, as well as to genders that aren't similar to mine. Whether they are cis or trans doesn't matter at all. I think the bisexual label is the umbrella under which the pansexual label exists among others (like poly/omni/etc) In essence I still could claim the pansexual label, but idk, the bisexual one just fits me more atm, and it also has more history to it that I think is important, and it's also the most widely known label out of all of them, that easily can get the point across without having to explain much. Maybe I'll change in the future though, who knows!

Stay strong fam, I really hope things are gonna get easier in the future, because yeah, this shit sucks. And you are perfectly right to vent, I believe this is the right place to do so, there are people here who can understand and empathize with your situation ?

Last edited:

unicorn

Gay Street Fighter
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,684,131
Carol, blue is the warmest color, disobedience these are some of the good lesbian themed movies
For series there is gypsy on netflix

im gonna be honest i actually have not watched carol like the bad lesbian that i probably am. i watched it on theaters but i fell asleep less than an hour to the movie lol

i havent watch disobedience but it has rachel mcadams so its on my watch list

thank you!

The L Word is the ultimate Lesbian TV Show, without a single doubt in my mind.
I know it's probably looking like an old show now (it aired from 2004 to 2009), but, ugh, watching it during my teen years was, now that I think of it, extremely formative and important. I don't think I have seen a TV show with that much Lesbian/bisexual representation, and I love it for that.
Also, a whole new season is coming out very soon (they said later in 2019) so it's a good opportunity to start the 6 seasons so that you can catch up on the new one when it'll get released!

(sorry for the potato quality but that's all i could find lol i cry this show deserves high quality smh)

I think it's on Netflix, but I'm not sure. If not, good old µtorrent is at your disposal!

Other TV shows with Lesbian representation, some that I enjoyed, some that I barely remember (sadly):

- The Bold Type (contains a bisexual main character that has an interesting awakening, with lesbian characters that are a breathe of fresh air. It is a show about fashion though, and it's a little bit goody-two-shoes at times, so if you're not into that, don't bother?)
- Killing Eve (contains main characters that clearly have sexual attraction to one another, although the lesbian label isn't used because that's not the main focus of the show anyway, it's still a hella good show to watch in general)
- Grey's Anatomy (sorry to say, but despite the cheesiness it's been criticized for, this show has actually always been way ahead of its time in terms of racial, gender and sexual representation, and I love it for that)
- The 100 (although ugh yeah some lesbian characters can die, but to be fair... this show is the type of show in which A LOT of people die all the damn time)
- The Bisexual (a UK show that is about someone who realizes after breaking up with their long-term girlfriend, that they might be bisexual, with all the awkwardness that ensues, it's fun and light-hearted)
- Lip Service (I don't remember it well, I watched it a long time ago, it wasn't so memorable tbh but it's explicitly about the lives of lesbians in UK)
- Orphan Black (some characters are clearly lesbian and have nice/compelling love stories, even though that's absolutely not the main focus of the show)
- Grown-ish (again, some side-character is lesbian and we follow some of her relationships/adventures, but she's not that important of a character tbh)

i cant believe i forget about the l word!! i was plannig to give it a try but i always forget
greys has too many episodes, maybe i should just follow when the lesbian character was introduced?

i have watched killing eve and orphan black. i personally dont like the 100 bc i found so many characters a bit unlikable cant get pass through ep 3 from season 1...maybe i should just try watching Lexa super cut only

never heard of The Bisexual before and it sounds like it'd be funny too? putting it on my watch list. as for Lip Service i will try to give it ago, but i hope its not boring

- Show Me Love/Fucking Åmål (I watched this during my teen years, it was a breath of fresh air in terms of lesbian representation, and I think is an iconic movie in that regard to many lesbians/bisexuals I know)
- Shortbus (like the previous movie, watched this as a very young adult, it was very liberating and overall nice, although now that I think about it, I'm not sure I remember precisely any lesbian representation, but it sure as hell is QUEER AS FUCK, so you might still wanna give it a try. It explicitly shows sexual relationships though, be warned!)
- Imagine Me & You (you know, sometimes we just need a fun fluffy lesbian romantic comedy, and this one totally delivers! I really loved Piper Perabo in this, the chemistry with her co-lead was absolutely felt! AND HER CO-LEAD IS LENA HEADEY YES IT'S GAY CERSEI YOU GUYS!)
- With Every Heartbeat/Kyss Mig (we love a fluffy lesbian romantic comedy, but in Swedish this time! Although it should be noted this one is a tiny bit less light-hearted than Imagine Me & You, in the sense there's a more drama side to it, but it's also pretty damn good!)
- Water Lilies/La Naissance Des Pieuvres (a true masterpiece, if you ask me. I absolutely love Sciamma's work, she's a woman, she's a lesbian, and she's out there directing movies that are amazing, a true queen. Water Lilies is so precious, as it not only is about lesbian love, but also the awkward yet beautiful discovery of sexual attraction as teenagers, she perfectly captures the awkwardness of it all, along with the fragility, beauty and purity of it all. I really love this movie!)

i actually have watched all of these!! but its like years ago so i think im gonna rewatch. bc tbh i dont remember much
except for Shortbus so i havent watch that so im gonna give that a go first

oof lena headey is the reason why i cannot bring myself to hate cersei in game of thrones...i mean shes awful and a terrible person but i love lena headey so i cant hate her.

movie with lesbian storyline that i remember the most is actually but im a cheerleader bc its funny and dante basco is there.....speaking in his zuko voice even at some point yelling in his zuko voice "stfu you stupid little bitch" to natasha lyonne character and it stil haunts my mind sometimes

Kinky

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,397
Why do people sometimes accuse others of being gay ("then... you're gay") but people never accuse someone of being transgender?

B

bumbers

What do you guys think about that?

I love that someone actually created that because it will help save time explaining to others that might not be so familiar with some of those categories within the community. Pansexual comes to mind as one that I can see many uniformed going, "What's that?" so this would be great to show them.

roseychu

sungjae's wife Administrator Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭516,171
Pronouns
She/Her
I love that someone actually created that because it will help save time explaining to others that might not be so familiar with some of those categories within the community. Pansexual comes to mind as one that I can see many uniformed going, "What's that?" so this would be great to show them.
Well, I think most people are arguing over the "Ally" part

B

bumbers

Well, I think most people are arguing over the "Ally" part

That part, I can get why but at the same time, I for one welcome any allies especially since it feels as though we're going backwards here with LGBT rights in the States so I'm not all that fussed about seeing "Ally" in that. That's just my feelings on it at least but I can understand it bothering people since while they may get grief for supporting the community, it won't be quite on the scale that a LGBT person might have to deal with or worry about.

Delphine

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,350
I don't think Ally should be in there still though. It's nice they exist, and I welcome all of them, but that's still not deserving of a place in the LGBT umbrella. Also that bisexual definition was a bit... iffy to me.

Top Bottom