SCANDAL the biggest girl band in japan! | 17 years with SCANDAL! | 11th album "LUMINOUS" released today!

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,491,825

scandal heaven:

MAMI posted a video on her IGTV channel (named "Mamitasu Channel") of her eating Peyoung Super Spicy MAX END, a very spicy yakisoba!

Stan BiSH

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,491,825
"her" Magazine】What is "her"? Interview - Part 1

KluiOU1.jpg

"her" is SCANDAL's own private record label founded after their 12th anniversary. To explain it simply, they have made their own atelier of sorts. SCANDAL and their true colors can be delivered with more freedom and flexibility to everyone. This means that there may be sights that have never been seen before. First, we'd like for you to experience our outlook even just a little with 【her Magazine】.

A long interview was conducted upon the launch of their private label "her." Here's the special interview with the members' highly trusted 「ROCKIN'ON JAPAN」 editor-in-chief Daisuke Koyanagi!

SCANDAL launched their private label in their 10th year of being a major label band. You could say that the girls, shouldering all-girl rock of the 2010s and opening up countless sceneries, have their own important, base-like entity that they've finally arrived at.

Its name is 「her」. This is message put into it: "Fight femininely, flexibly, freely, and lightly." It is a slogan that conveys the mindsets of a quartet who have taken a new step towards their next decade of glory.

Its commemorable first release is 『Masterpiece / Mabataki』. SCANDAL's first double A-side single. "Masterpiece," the first track, features the golden combo of lyrics by RINA and music by MAMI, and is a rock number sprinkled with a straight-forward speediness that lightly pushes forward. Their specialty tone is piercing, and a great excitement and a little tension towards their new story that will start from now is spelled out; in that sense, it is more of a personal song compared to SCANDAL's songs thus far. In this era, a sensible way of life is sung from the the point of view of a woman who wants to be independent. 「her」 is a declaration for these four existing together that could not be drawn by anyone besides them who have been continuing to run without stopping for 10 years.

The second track is a calm, midrange song written by RINA. It features TOMOMI on lead vocals for the first time in a while, and she lets us hear her glossy vocal relays with HARUNA. Both very fresh songs convey the impetus of the current SCANDAL.

What are the four of them thinking as they currently stand on a new starting line? What kind of future are they trying to draw after a decade of history? What thoughts were included in these two songs, and what lies in their hearts? We had them talk about everything.​

Koyanagi: Your label 「her」 has finally been established, and your new lives will start. First, I'd like to ask you about this past year and what you felt, or what changed after releasing your latest album 『HONEY』 and touring in support of it.

HARUNA:
Because I turned 30 last year, that was a huge topic for me. It was a year I wanted to level up as a human, and more than that I wanted to level up as a band member and as a band's vocalist.

Koyanagi: Was that change in age a big one? I have a feeling it probably wasn't, though.

HARUNA:
Yeaーh. But age really was the trigger for it. I spent it frankly saying what I thought, and wanting to find something that's like the person I am during our live shows. I realized that it was necessary in order to become an even cooler band, and that I needed to break the image I had within me of the vocalist "HARUNA of SCANDAL" once. It was okay to be myself even more, and that I didn't need to overly pretend to be cool. I thought that that'd be easier to do from here on―rather, that I'd fall even more in love with the band. Also, it feels like it's easier to live with. I feel like those 10 years were ones where I was trying my best to hide my faults. But, it's okay that they've already been bared, and it's okay to be bad at things. Still, I'm trying to do my best (laughs).

Koyanagi: I see. What about for you, RINA?

RINA:
The band feels like the most enjoyable thing I'm currently doing, and that I've truly been able to continue doing something that I love. Last year was one where our music and the four of us were closely linked together. We were delighted that we were able to make an album like 『HONEY』 that surpassed our own abilities. We once again discovered that we are people whose personal lives and creativity are more connected than they thought. So, we wanted to see and absorb things more greedily, and we wanted to have both good and bad things happen to us. We wanted feel all sorts of things every day. We finally felt that way at the end of the year. It was a profound year where about three years' worth of happenings occured. 2018 was a huge year for us. Although it might have been a year that we could call "exhausting" if we didn't have this sort of job, we ultimately had an intense year as musicians who stand on stages - and we were glad for that.

Koyanagi: In other words, you were able to output varied experiences.

RINA:
Yes, which is why we're able to have fun making things now. Even though we always have fun doing it, we're able to write at a nice pace during this period of time in particular.

Koyanagi: What about you, TOMOMI?

TOMOMI:
I moved places in 2018. The windows got bigger, and a lot of light comes in (laughs). Along with that, I was able to put plants all around, so I've started to wake up in the morning. Until now I would sleep until the afternoon and live my life as if I was waking up in the morning. By doing that, I inevitably would often think about the band from morning until night, and would often arbitrarily think about negative things. It was like I couldn't do anything interesting that had depth to it. But, after all, by living together with the sun, I came to think about things that have depth to them.

Koyanagi: What things did you think about?

TOMOMI:
Like, we need to be a fun band (laughs).

Koyanagi: Hahaha!

MAMI:
Moving was the right thing to do (laughs).

TOMOMI: It really isn't good if humans and plants don't live together with the sun (laughs). It's like I'm storing nutrients now.

Koyanagi: It's inadvertenly essential (laughs). What about you, MAMI?

MAMI:
I think it was a year I was even more absorbed in the band. We properly forged our solo live shows—rather, we raised them up ourselves. But, it was also a year where we were itching to perform at festivals and events. Personally, I went out a lot that year. I would discover things like food festivals, or handmade festival-like events where cloth and yarn were gathered, and I would go out to them. How should I say it—I think it was a year of good preparation. There may have been less opportunities to see everyone in public in a sense, but it felt like the band was constantly active. I feel that we were busy in a good way (laughs).

Koyanagi: It may have been a year you reconsidered how SCANDAL, who had many strategies to move outward during these 10 years, should go about things, and what kind of band you should be. The idea that came up was to launch a new label. What was the trigger for that?

HARUNA:
The trigger was a distinct conversation we had with our current label staff, who said, "Why don't we do this together?" At that time we weren't sure what direction the band should go in next, and it was when we hit the 10-year mark of being a major label band. If this was the end of our first chapter, then after it would be the start of our second chapter. We only had a vague feeling that we wanted to do something, and at that time we wanted to do something in order to be able to continue on for a long time, but we didn't know what that thing was. It was at that time when we had that conversation about a private record label, and with that we started to move things along.

Koyanagi: Before that, did you ever feel that a private label would be a good fit for you? Was voicing it what solidified your mindset?

RINA:
It wasn't something we knew from the start. However, when we were making 『HONEY』, it felt like our want to be renewed was at its peak, and it felt like the all-girl band called SCANDAL gave us the answer. We started thinking about how we should start something new from here on, and how we can stay cool after all of us are over 30 years old.

Koyanagi: Yeah.

RINA:
It felt like we also had a haziness we had been holding, and we've now reached one thing. So, for better or worse we've smashed this sense of accomplishment. It might have been connected to making our own label, re-debuting from scratch, and making music from scratch. We want to make music together with people who think our music and way of life are interesting and cool.

Koyanagi: But it felt like, "Why didn't I think of this!?", didn't it?

MAMI:
When we explain the band known as SCANDAL, I think it's an element that's very easy to explain. We really are a band that needs all kinds of explanations. Something easy to put out, like, "This is SCANDAL." We decided on our course of action, and we feel excited to start from here again.

TOMOMI: I actually was worried as soon as we talked about it. For me, I had a love for our previous label that we had spent 10 years with, and I had never thought about leaving them because they were comrades who built up the band called SCANDAL together with us. I hadn't thought I'd experience that. However, the feeling of excitement I get when we talk about the future with our current label staff―rather, I felt that I had a feeling of premonition, and that I was able to take a step towards wanting us to debut again.

Koyanagi: You certainly have courage.

MAMI:
Because we really wanted to have a change. That want was strong.

TOMOMI: Yeah, that was before we talked about the label.

HARUNA: It's because something beyond the sense of accomplishment with making 『HONEY』 was absolutely necessary. However, it was not found by ourselves alone.

Koyanagi: Yes, I certainly see that there was a sense that you got things done, but conversely, if you didn't have the idea of making a new label, you wouldn't have known how you could express your new selves.

RINA:
No matter what songs we'd write, it was like we were doing part two of the songs we already had. We were also irritated because we couldn't write songs we were completely satisfied with. There was a time when we forced them into shape. But, when we announced our label to everyone, it felt like everything was opening all at once. We then came to think that we'd be able to do more and more new things, and that this was the correct answer.
source:
thoseguiltyeyes from scandal heaven

Stan BiSH

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,491,825
after OH when down post started to add up... just some more days of spam until i caught up with the latest stuff :doge:

Last edited:

Stan BiSH

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,491,825
64220137_465903860841160_668042656383840551_n.jpg

64389005_2349392498650014_8073775999333344305_n.jpg

65444752_878500505843403_9196518398872929538_n.jpg

from scandalheaven: Rina:「My first time wearing half-pigtails in a while🍒
+
「My youngest sister came to see to our show yesterday☺︎ Her birthday's in June, so I gave her a t-shirt with a matching design🎁 An original t-shirt with only two of them in the whole world🎂🥀

*RINA has four other siblings and is the eldest. She has three younger sisters and one younger brother.

Stan BiSH

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,491,825
62645623_166640301039542_6936786841459900057_n.jpg

65301644_143325980071400_7161102153858515978_n.jpg

64634279_474699720000328_983313459806952892_n.jpg

65552550_496840094189552_7433407447607459774_n.jpg

scandalheaven: From @haru_na810 - @nike × @strangerthingstv
collection release party🎉
An irresistible collaboration for Stranger Things fans👟
I so cannot wait for season 3!
July 4th needs to hurry up and get here!!!

From @fashionsnapcom - 【Event】The Nike x Stranger Things collaboration items will go on sale tomorrow. A photo spot has been set up at the Harajuku Meiji Dori branch of UNDEFEATED, and people such as HARUNA and RINA of SCANDAL came out to the release party.

Stan BiSH

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,491,825
65272335_2089284921198786_3949609454660851363_n.jpg

64783579_145659479947831_4193565296002335707_n.jpg

scandalheaven: From @mmts_dayo - SCANDAL TOUR 2019 "Fuzzy Summer Mood" .
Performance #10, Sapporo!
Thanks so much to everyone who came out!
The enthusiasm and love from the beginning...!!❤️
That was awesome, Sapporo🥺
Your singing voices and feelings and everything reached us
Thanks as always, and let's have fun again🧚‍♂️
#scandal_fsm
#札幌 (Sapporo)
#カツゲン (Katsugen [a yogurt drink that can only be found in Hokkaido])
#とったどー! (I got my hands on oneー!)
#ステージドリンク (Drinking it on stage)
#カツゲン (Katsugen)
#スタンダード味 (standard flavor)
#いくら (A lady)
#爆食いおばさん (who drinks way too much of it)
#悔いなし (No regrets)
#大好き (My beloved)
#北海道 (Hokkaido)
#3枚目 (In the third picture)
#頭の形 (the shape of my head)
#横向きのパイナップル (from the side looks like a pineapple)
#🍍
#集中 (A convergence)
#絶対集中 (Definitely a convergence)
#お洒落さんと繋がりたい (I want to connect with a stylish person)

Stan BiSH

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,491,825
64566212_150727286051097_34126721075014244_n.jpg

64891732_687699015012563_8719762214816803280_n.jpg

scandalheaven:

From RINA's Twitter:

「Thanks, Sapporo! The best mood - I give it 100 points◎ See you later!」

From HARUNA's Twitter:

「Thanks, Sapporo!
We were so surprised by the record-high heat!
Looking forward to the next day we'll see each other!
Tomorrow's Obihiro!!」

Stan BiSH

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,491,825
65074155_384187922204841_7300887620071357079_n.jpg

64548804_142909636795617_7036336695068360435_n.jpg

65181495_432159820960810_1995991993982913495_n.jpg

65232090_517134542157184_6067344004049206878_n.jpg

scandalheaven:

From @tomo_0531_ - I like mountains, but I also like the sea〜

The other day I went to see the movie 「Children of the Sea」, but it wasn't a story about the sea; it was about space.

I also like space〜

Last edited:
Top Bottom