OTHER UN: A House Targaryen Fanfiction / Installment #14 Puzzle Piece

Aquamaraqua

Jinyoung's Wife
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭970,145
dragon_divider_by_penstress-dcssfov.png

⚠ Listen as you read ⚠

The group gathered in Krystal’s Benz, squeezing in as there were limited seats. Yuqi decided she would ride shotgun, while the rest made their way to the back seats. Through the short car ride, Nana filled Yohan in with what the group was planning to do. After around 10 minutes, the group pulled up to what looked like the local history museum.

“We’re here,” Krystal said, taking off her seatbelt. A group of puzzled faces greeted her once she got out of the car.

Krystal sighed, “we needed a private space if you don’t want to be the next one killed. And I know just the place to do research.”

The students followed their senior up the grandiose entrance of the museum, with marble lining the staircase handrail that guided them to another floor.

Yuqi huffed, “this seems like too much work I was not prepared to do. Nana why did I even listen, ugh”

Nana gave Yuqi a small pout, “hey, I thought we all agreed we would all work together.”

Before the girls could continue their quarrel, Krystal turned around as they reached the second floor, and faced the group.

“A friend of mine helped me get access to a private room in the library, he-” before she could continue, a tall boy with slick black hair greeted the students.

“Hey Krys, I’m here,” after scanning the group he exclaimed, “looks like you’ve got quite the group.” His eyes landed on a familiar face, her jet black hair and red lips contrasting unmistakably: it was Jieqiong.

Jieqiong too noticed the familiar student, and exclaimed, “oh it’s you again.”

She recognized Byungchan’s well structured features immediately, and started to squirm realizing she’d have to explain how she knew him now.

Krystal turned to Byungchan and gave him a smile, “thanks Byungchan. You guys don’t know how lucky we are that he works for the museum part time as an archaeology assistant.”

Yuqi raised an eyebrow, realizing she had heard about this senior before but never seen him, how did Jieqiong meet him when they weren’t even in the same major? Strange.

Yohan chuckled intersecting the conversation as the group roamed through the library, “well it’s good we’ve got the intros on lock. I think I remember you, Byungchan, from a social and hard science collaboration two years ago?”

Byungchan turned to Yohan and gave him somewhat of a blank look before shrugging, “yeah, that probably was me.”

Jeez, what’s he so guarded about, Yohan thought. The group then entered a small room at the back of the library.

“Okay guys, so I just want to reiterate that I brought you guys here because 1. I trust you guys and 2. you guys have a variety of majors and backgrounds, which will help when putting things together,” Krystal stated, as she laid out a file on the table in the center of the room.

Yohan laughed, “so basically you stalked us for info? I guess the rumours about senior year being chill are true.”

Krystal stared at Yohan with a deadpan face, “a little bit of stalking doesn’t hurt when it comes to protecting the school… and myself for that matter.”

Doyeon and Hani both looked at each other, with a look of curiosity.

Krystal sighed before sitting down and opening up her e-mail inbox, showing the crew the two e-mails she had received weeks prior.

“Just so you know, I’ve been noticing some suspicious placements of dangerous objects all over the school. I went to the police and the journalism department to report them, but they never really went anywhere from that. Of course after Minkyung’s death, they’ve suddenly started listening to people, but I’m convinced the police don’t actually want to investigate the death properly… I think there might be someone in the higher ups controlling the case,” she said.

Hani squinted her eyes before walking around Krystal, “sounds like a conspiracy theory if I’m being honest… but hey, it’s better than what we got right now, haha.”

After around an hour and a half of discussion on the dynamics of the team, and who would be leading, which ended up unsurprisingly being Nana and Krystal, the group headed out of the museum and back to the campus.

~

3 Days Before Minkyung’s Death

Siyeon’s hands started shaking as she realized what the documents she had read contained. Tax evasion. Her parents owned a successful ship business that had been in the game for nearly thirty years. It was where most of the wealth the Kims had was from, aside from the inheritance her great-grandfather left after his death.

This particular tax evasion however, was an accidental type, as it was documented that a low level worker somehow didn’t completely report the income of the business for a year. This was never revealed to the public however, and was also never amended as authorities somehow never caught on to the act.

What was most concerning however, was the fact that there was a little note attached at the back of the file which read, “comply or have this revealed.”

~

Present

After a few days of congregating at the museum to look at archives in the museum for news past cases similar to Minkyung’s, it seemed as though the group had reached a plateau in what they could figure out from limited information. Minkyung’s family refused to speak with any of the students in person, and police reports also did not report anything out of the ordinary with Minkyung’s life at home or in school. The suspect also seemed to leave no trace of him/herself.

~

Yeri was working late at night in the dragon biology class to prepare for her midterms. Classrooms were largely empty, as most students preferred to work during the day, or simply in the library for non-science based courses. Yeri however, had a detailed study plan she wanted to stick with, and didn’t care that she was alone that night. A lot was racing through her mind this past week, especially after she and Siyeon discovered the family business’s tax evasion. She knew that she needed to clear her head and study in peace. What has to be done, has to be done.

After a few rounds of looking at microscope slides, Yeri took off her goggles and gloves, and went to clean out the tools she was using in the sink. It was then she smelled a stinging, burning sensation filling her nose. Yeri looked around and realized that a bunsen burner from across the lab was tipped over, its flame blazing, and the rest of the lab table started to rapidly catch on fire. Yeri could have sworn nothing was astray when she entered the lab earlier. Coughing, she tried to find the safety equipment in the labroom, but it was getting more difficult to orient herself in the room as the smoke was clouding her eyesight. Yeri tried to walk over to the fire extinguisher on the wall, but her head started spinning at that very moment. Before she knew it, Yeri could feel her eyes close, and her body collapsed to the ground.

~

Minki knew Yeri was looking extra-tense these days, probably due to overworking herself as she studied for midterms. He thought it would be a friendly gesture to greet her with some home-made food his mother had cooked for him, which would make a perfect late night study-snack.

As Minki walked through the empty halls of the biology lab floor, he started to smell smoke. Oddly enough, none of the fire alarms had gone off. Weird, he thought to himself, as he ran to find the source of the fire.

He found Yeri, passed out in the middle of the dragon lab, fire surrounding her, which was now starting to also burn the walls. Minki dropped his bag of food, and instantaneously rolled himself onto the lab floor, his arms stretching into the narrow opening so he could grab Yeri without exposing himself to too much of the fire. As he dragged her body out of the room, his adrenaline had fully kicked in, and he grabbed a random piece of lab equipment that could shatter the glass encasing the fire extinguisher on the wall.

It was at this point people on other floors started to realize what was going on, and the fire department was immediately called by security. Once the fire was finally extinguished, Minki collapsed in the hall next to Yeri, his eyes still open, forehead filled with sweat, hands torched. Fire truck sirens blazed from the windows.

~

Yohan could smell the fire from the room above him and immediately ran up the basement stairs as he too called the fire department. It puzzled him as to how no fire alarms went off, and why the school would even allow student labs to be unsupervised.

As Yohan was about to turn left in the hall to find out if fire personnel had arrived, he recognized a student was walking away from the first floor in a hurry toward the basement stairs. She seemed to be putting away a box of something in her bag. If it weren’t for him forgetting his phone in a classroom in the basement, no one else would have seen her. Yohan squinted as he realized this box was actually a box of matches. And the student this face belonged to was none other than Kwon Eunbi.

- END -

ddwqrym-5ae3598d-0975-4fae-a413-72c550c79867.png

ddwl7il-8a86ea9d-7918-4d37-b926-18699655ad86.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom