Aquamaraqua

Jinyoung's Wife
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭970,145
dragon_divider_by_penstress-dcssfov.png

✦ Listen as you read ✦

5 Hours Before the Fire

Siyeon was working with Hani on their taxation module project. Hani was intensely typing away when Siyeon got an alert for an e-mail. The blonde clicked the e-mail, Hani now distracted, taking a peak over her shoulder about what Siyeon received.

Siyeon’s hands stiffened as she realized what the message contained,

“From: [email protected]

This is a warning.”

Hani’s eyes widened, as she recognized that e-mail from Krystal's laptop. The girls were trying to locate the sender’s IP address a few days back, but the e-mail was safeguarded and impossible to track.

“Wait… Siyeon I think we need to talk after class,” Hani stated, with a much more grave tone than she usually held.

Siyeon was thrown off at Hani’s sudden sincerity but nodded.

After two hours, class had finally ended and the girls made their way to the library.

“So, I’m not sure if I’m allowed to tell you this, but considering you got an e-mail too from this person…”

Over the course of a few minutes Hani explained what had been going on with Krystal and her sleuthing around in the school on Minkyung’s murder. The wheels then started turning in Siyeon’s head. So this must be connected then. My parents are somehow involved in Minkyung’s murder? Why is somebody blackmailing them with their tax evasion? What does Minkyung have to do with them? What do I have to do with that? A million thoughts raced Siyeon’s mind to the point of her breath becoming short and her hands becoming sweaty. Hani observed the sudden change in Siyeon’s disposition and patted her back.

“Once we go to the museum, maybe tomorrow, we can flesh out ideas there,” Hani offered, hoping to be of some comfort.

Siyeon’s face still carried a pensive dread, something told her things were going to get worse before, and if, they got better.

~

Present

Yohan ran back downstairs following Eunbi. He knew what he had seen. And it seemed like she knew she was being followed, as her pace quickened. Yohan followed her all the way downstairs to the exit, but once he left through the exit doors, she was nowhere in sight. He had lost her.

~

Minki lied in the hospital bed with a cast on his hand, his mother by his side, sniffling. Yeri was outside the patient door but didn’t have the guts to knock or go inside. She felt terrible that he had gotten injured because of her, and wouldn’t know how to face his mom. As she placed her bouquet of flowers at the crack of the door, she turned, ready to leave, before she was greeted by a teary-eyed Siyeon.

“I’m such an idiot to have slept through this all, I’m so sorry Yeri. I’m glad you’re doing okay.”

Siyeon quickly hugged the girl, her arms nearly suffocating the girl. Yeri was about to push Siyeon off, as she wasn’t very touchy, before her eyes then softened, and she hugged Siyeon back.

“I know, you’re a terrible older sister, we been knew,” Yeri said softly, with a small smile.

At that moment Minki’s mother opened the door, “are you Minki’s classmates? He’s been so lonely all morning since his other buddies left, it’s high time someone else came to see him.”

Siyeon immediately let go of Yeri and coughed, “yes, we are. Is it okay if we go in to check on him?”

Minki’s mother smiled, “I’ll let you girls visit him, I was just about to head out to talk to one of the nurses anyway. Thanks for being such good friends.”

Once Minki’s mother left, Siyeon patted Yeri on the head, “since you’re fine now, I’m just gonna let you two have your time.”

Yeri was petrified. No way could Siyeon have known that I like Minki. Right? Oh crap… wait a minute. Did I just admit I like Minki?

With that, Siyeon turned on her heels and left, while Yeri stood there awkwardly, before she heard Minki call out, “hey Yeri!”

Yeri slowly made her way in, the door closing behind her. Yeri waved back at the boy before sitting down at a stool next to the bed.

“T-thanks so much… you really saved my butt out there,” the girl barely managed to squeak out.

Minki gave her a frown, “now don’t tell me you think I actually saved your life? It was all the fire department! Otherwise we would have been burnt toast.”

Yeri gave a small fake laugh, “oh… really? Oh okay, haha…”

Then Minki sat straight up, his pearl white teeth still as dazzling as before, his skin popping against the white and light blue of the hospital gown.

“Yeri, you really fell for that?! Okay well I can’t discredit myself, I was bringing you some delicious homemade treats when I saw that fire, and well, like any friend would do of course I tried helping you.”

Yeri was now looking down, her eyes watering. She didn’t know where this powerful emotion came from, but it was here to stay it seemed.

“I’m so glad you’re okay,” Yeri said between a sniffle.

Minki was now thrown off. He had never seen such a vulnerable side to the young girl before. She was usually pretty guarded, sassy, or simply powered through the unfortunate things that happened around her. This muted, down-to-earth and very emotive Yeri was new to him. Minki started noticing how Yeri’s big round eyes filled with tears were, their grace moving him. Her short brown hair perfectly framed her small face, her nose a cute little button. It was as though he was seeing her for the first time. Before he knew it, Minki pulled Yeri into a soft hug, patting her back as he did so.

“It’ll be alright,” he whispered.

~

Midterms were now postponed after spring break, which was now earlier, as parents and students did not trust that there was apt security on campus to last the remaining four days. Had the fire department come any later, the fire would have spread even further up the building instead of being contained to just the first floor.

Jieqiong was supposed to be meeting with her uncle and aunt at a hotel. They were arriving from Macau and she was supposed to be going on a shopping trip with her aunt. While Jieqiong loved shopping, she was dreading going on a blind date that her aunt had set up for her later that day. Her aunt barely set foot on American soil and yet already had some American billionaire’s son to pair her up with.

Jieqiong was waiting outside the hotel lobby. Normally she would wait indoors, but there was something special about the pitter patter of the rain on her umbrella she loved. The rushing sound against her ears soothed her worries, especially since there was so much crazy that had been happening all over the school lately. This was a much needed respite from all that chaos, she thought.

A limousine pulled up to the curb, and Jieqiong smiled. Her uncle greeted her with a big smile as the window of the vehicle rolled down.

Gufu!” the girl cried, giving a big smile back, her arms dancing in the rain.

The chauffeur opened the doors, handing her uncle and aunt an umbrella as he did so. As the trio made their way into the hotel and up the elevator, Jieqiong was pestered by her aunt’s constant ramblings.

“Trust me Jieqiong, you will love him! He’s only 23, so very young, and also has a great job at his grandfather’s company. And he’s super handsome. Isn’t that right, Jiyong?” her aunt insisted, poking her husband’s elbow.

Jieqiong’s uncle chuckled, “if the poor girl doesn’t want to meet anyone right now, why force her? She’s only 18 years old dear.”

The banter continued as the group made their way into the hotel suite. Jieqiong was told to wait for her aunt as she showered before the two would head out for the day.

“So gufu, how are grandma and grandpa? You two better be taking good care of them!” Jieqiong said, cheekily.

Her relationship with her uncle Jiyong had always been a pleasant one since she was a child. She had fond memories of the couple taking her out to amusement parks and ice-cream parlors when her own parents were too busy to do so. As the couple never had children of their own, Jieqiong was like their own. She was the light of their life and one of the most cherished children in the family.

“It’s been good. And of course, I can’t leave your grandparents alone for a second! Just ask your guma.”

“I would if she would just hurry up! I bet you she’s doing her 20 step skincare routine,” Jieqiong said, chuckling.

Jieqiong heard footsteps behind her, “hey what was that! I heard you two talking about me.”

Jieqiong bashfully stuck out her tongue, “well that’s what you get for setting me up with a random!”

The two headed out to leave for the day and were now back in the elevator. Just as the doors were closing, Jieqiong realized she had forgotten her purse in the suite. “I’ll be right back!” the girl stated, rushing back outside.

As Jieqiong entered the hotel room, her steps quieted as she heard her uncle was on the phone. I’ll just have to sneak into the living room, grab it, and leave.

As Jieqiong tip-toed her way to the living room, she could hear her uncle in the other room say with a low, raspy tone, “you’re responsible for the next phase. One death, a fire, and they still haven’t said anything…”

Jieqiong froze in her tracks. Her eyes widened, hands shaking. Her heart had now started pounding against her chest.

- END -

Writer's note:

Updated character map

ddx3zro-2754061b-2f86-46ca-8329-e2b355f36c4b.png

Updated relationship chart

ddx40dd-64b78ec5-b167-417f-a0b2-207b66fc63c7.png

Last edited:

boo

*¨*•.¸¸ପଓ VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭18,270