OTHER UN: A House Targaryen Fanfiction / Installment #9 Opening Act

Aquamaraqua

Jinyoung's Wife
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭970,145
Dragondivider.png

♡ Listen as you read ♡

(right click the loop button for the best experience)

Mark tip-toed through the shadows. Everyone was asleep now after a long drive and were getting ready for bed. There was no official curfew, but people were prepping their energy for tomorrow’s pollution cleanup on the beach, so it was encouraged that everyone would rest well. Mark slowly walked into the girl’s residence on the campsite, then turned a right on the corridor to his destination.

A girl with short orange hair peered out the threshold, “you made it” she whispered excitedly.

~

Doyeon walked out of the girl’s campsite to get some fresh air. She saw an empty patio and took the chance to clear her thoughts. Doyeon hadn’t gone back home to Philadelphia since winter break, and was clearly homesick. She especially missed her father, who Doyeon knew could barely function without Doyeon in the house taking care of the sneaky five-year old brother of hers. Midterms were also coming close and she needed some space from all the commotion to think about how she would create the graphics for her radio communications presentation. Doyeon opened up the laptop she had held under her arm and started typing away. Ugh the wifi here is trash. Gonna have to work on the Photoshop end for now.

~

Yohan was lying down next to his roommate from band, Minsoo. While he wasn’t especially fond of field trips, he had something important to do at the campsite, and a bit of volunteer-work also couldn’t hurt.

Minsoo was watching some R-rated movie on his iPad, and didn’t plug in his headphones, so it was hard for Yohan to fall asleep.

“Bro can you shut that thing off? I’m trying to sleep.”

Minsoo sneered at Yohan, “you get so fussy like a little baby,” but proceeded to plug in his headphones he forgot earlier.

Yohan now sat upright and threw off his covers, “keep being like that and I’ll tell professor Lee you ditched practice nearly all of this semester.”

Before Minsoo could get a word in, Yohan had already left the room. Yohan slammed the door behind him and stomped out of the residence hall. That’s it. First my dad calling me about some stupid dragon training program he wants me to go on, and now this kid won’t shut the hell up.

As Yohan walked out the veranda, he saw the person he was longing to talk to the entire bus-ride to the campsite. Yohan felt the seabreeze cool his anger… or was it her silhouette that did that, he wasn’t too sure.

~Flashback~

Yohan was the announcer for the fall semester’s talent show. He was nervous knowing that Doyeon would also be performing a song. Although she had given up violin, he knew how much she liked to sing, and really wanted to send her all the support he could. Yohan had his cue cards ready for her entrance, but thought he could jazz it up a bit on the spot.

The red curtains opened and Yohan walked toward the center of the stage, “next we have an incredible performer, former-violinist turned singer, everyone’s favorite giraffe, Kim Doyeon!”

Yohan heard the crowd laugh at the joke which allowed him to have a sigh of relief. Quick thinking, he thought to himself.

When the middle curtains revealed Doyeon however, she looked like a deer in headlights, startled. The song she chose, “Plastic Love” by Mariya Takeuchi, was a foreign song so she had to practice a long time to learn the lyrics. But now all the lyrics were out of her mind, and all she could think of was the hurt she felt in her heart. She had heard it all before. Giraffe. Long neck. Stilts. It wasn’t really the names themselves that bothered her, but that they reminded her of the continuous belittling she had from her mother’s end towards her body that really put aflame her anger and sadness at the remark. Doyeon ended up mumbling the song, before she signaled to the music crew to cut the track.

As soon as the curtain closed, Doyeon ran off from backstage.

~

Yohan thought back to a few weeks earlier when he had confronted Doyeon who was with the new blonde student.

“Hey, Doyeon, I really need to talk to you,” Yohan said, the blonde girl now confused as he approached the two of them.

“I’ve got nothing to talk to you about,” Doyeon said curtly, turning to leave.

Yohan turned to Nana and said, “sorry, the two of us just need to talk right now, could you give us some space?” Nana nodded in response and hurried off to the bathroom.

Yohan looked at Doyeon straight in the eye, “You know I’m sorry Doyeon. It really was just a mistake I didn’t think through during the talent show. I’ve texted you about it but you blocked me so nothing was getting through during the winter break. I even tried calling your house. You can’t just cut me off like that.”

Doyeon’s eyes started watering but she wanted to hold back her tears as much as she could, “you’ve known me for so long. Why would you even say that as a joke in front of everyone? Forget the embarrassment, or the work I did for the show, couldn’t you have just not been an attention whore with your jokes for once?”

Doyeon realized she would regret some of what she was saying now, but she didn’t want to care. She thought Yohan would at least apologize more sincerely in person rather than guilt tripping her. Yohan was about to say something back but Doyeon had walked away by then, trying to keep in her sobs.

~

1 Week Ago

“You must be kidding me!” exclaimed a student with long brown hair and a slender figure.

“I’m sorry but the journalism department doesn’t work on theories, it works on facts. What you have right now isn’t substantial evidence for any story we would want to follow. And if you’re this convinced there’s suspicious activity concerning the safety of the campus, then just report it to the admins or the police, not here.”

The female student let out a frustrated growl, “I already have! For the millionth time they also aren’t listening.”

“Miss Jung please leave the conference room now. We don’t usually allow guests here, you’re lucky I let you in due to a supposed ‘emergency.’”

The girl shook her head before gathering back her documents. “You know what, fine, if this place blows up into oblivion don’t say I didn’t warn you guys.”

She went across the campus to the main library and started frantically typing away on her laptop.

Random sources of fire found in different sections of the campus.
2 lit matches found in the Literature & Arts department.
A knife that somehow went through school detectors found in a dragon biology lab.
Used needles in a science lab -- this might actually be normal, will check again.

The female student then got an alert on her laptop screen. “1 new message” she read,
let me check this e-mail before I leave.

The e-mail read, “Miss Krystal Jung, your obtruding is unwelcome.”

Writer's note:

A highly requested relationship chart

ddwl7il-8a86ea9d-7918-4d37-b926-18699655ad86.png

Updated character map:

ddwlqzg-515586ef-05f2-4e1a-a33e-207651142252.png

sm maid

Global Star Administrator Events VIP+ Eighth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭60,904
Pronouns