What’s a scary Japanese movie you watched?

Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭720,708
Is there a scary J-movie you watched? If so what are your thoughts on plot development, sound effects, acting, and/or overall fear score? For the Japanese horror films that have Hollywood version, which do you like more?

‘Noroi: the curse’ is the scariest movie I’ve ever seen and it’s 10/10 for fear score. Shivering at the thought of it and can never watch it again. And to me, ‘The Grudge’ and ‘Ring’ are scarier in original Japanese versions than the remake Hollywood versions. It could be because of more realistic acting with better frightening emotions displayed.

I was traumatized watching ‘Ring’ because of the infamous scene with television and water well. After watching ‘Ring’, I couldn’t go near TV for months.

Seriously

Pretty 💜 Psycho Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭33,550
I've seen many over the years, although haven't seen the curse, I'll have to try it.

Kairo was creepy, the OG mind you, as always avoid the remake.

Last edited:

Beefy

Billion Dollar Bitch
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,749,335
Pronouns
They/Them
hmm the last one I saw was 'Audition' but I don't really consider it as horror due to various reasons
I plan on watching Kairo soon but idk if I can handle it, all the scenes I've seen from it look absolutely terrifying :sejeongcry:

kimsguardian

🄳🄾🄾🅁🚪 Sixth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭959,720
Pronouns
He/Him
how do you describe scary? is it about scary ghost? or do you also put sadistic into a scary genre?
yeah The Ring was one of the earliest Japan horror movie i watched. then there's Ju-On (The Grudge), One Missed Call, Shutter, etc. some movies with similar plot. some of them were made into american version which is a downgrade from the original movies.
and there's Human Centipede, where you can see human abduction that turns into psychologycal horror about kidnapper who sew those people into one body.
how about Battle Royale?
i watched it when i was in high school with my otaku friends, it was so popular at that time.​

UMJI MOODS

엄지는 내 장미 VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭43,112,313
Gozu 2003.
Sort of a horror, yakuza gangster and dark comedy hybrid. Involves madness, ghosts, body switching, murder, skinning bodies and a guy with a bull head among many other things. Really a disturbing but fascinating story. Not for the faint hearted and definitely only for adults.

Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭720,708
how do you describe scary? is it about scary ghost? or do you also put sadistic into a scary genre?
yeah The Ring was one of the earliest Japan horror movie i watched. then there's Ju-On (The Grudge), One Missed Call, Shutter, etc. some movies with similar plot. some of them were made into american version which is a downgrade from the original movies.
and there's Human Centipede, where you can see human abduction that turns into psychologycal horror about kidnapper who sew those people into one body.
how about Battle Royale?
i watched it when i was in high school with my otaku friends, it was so popular at that time.​
scary can mean both ghost or someone sadistic, but i find ghost scariest. yeah the american versions are pretty much downgrade from original.

haven't seen human centipede, but saw battle royale which is quite gruesome.

Top Bottom