What are your thoughts on ita-bags?

Vampire

Astarion approves. Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭156,409
An ita-bag ("painful bag") is a handbag, backpack, or other kind of bag covered in badges, buttons, figurines, and other merchandise pertaining to anime and manga. Well, that was how it originally started anyway, but after its explosive popularity from about the mid-2010s and onwards, it wouldn't be too crazy to see an ita-bag reference video games, K-Pop, American comic books (Marvel/DC), and etc. instead of just strictly anime and manga series.

Now, they're called "painful" because of the "pain" inflicted on the bag (lol), but also because some ita-baggers go HARDCORE and it's painful on their wallet, especially when a lot of official merchandising for buttons and whatnot are typically limited edition and, thus, expensive.

This is one of my favorite examples:

tumblr_obc4ybnG1m1qfvrzvo4_1280.jpg

Wowza!

As you could probably tell from my writing, I have a favorable view on them, and I even have one myself! Except, mine is really casual and my theme is just "yeah, I like this!!" and I slap it on... LOL

hp8calM.jpg

Ta-dah!

So yeah... How about y'all? Do you like them? Do you have one? Have you ever seen one out in the wild? (I know I have!)

anime-computer.gif

Some sources I borrowed from: 1, 2

Baymax

(•—•)
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,400
They are a statement! :catpopcorn:

I haven't yet encountered one in the wild that's been loaded with stuff, only subtle ones with a few badges but I think they're pretty cool; I love it when people geek out on the things they like. :poggers:

A few years ago I really wanted to get one because I find them so cute but investing in the merchandise is another story... I do have a few bits here and there which I've stored in a box somewhere so maybe in the future I'll try and get an ita-bag for display in my room.

Or maybe I can do something like this:

:munchlax:

Vampire

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭156,409
I haven't yet encountered one in the wild that's been loaded with stuff, only subtle ones with a few badges but I think they're pretty cool; I love it when people geek out on the things they like. :poggers:
Most ita-bags I've seen out in the wild aren't too busy, too. The two I've seen that were really loaded up, as you called it, were a Kuroko no Basuke ita-bag, and a BTS ita-bag. :catpopcorn:

A few years ago I really wanted to get one because I find them so cute but investing in the merchandise is another story... I do have a few bits here and there which I've stored in a box somewhere so maybe in the future I'll try and get an ita-bag for display in my room.
Oh yeah, for sure... :sejeongcry: I hope you're able to put one together someday!

Or maybe I can do something like this:

:munchlax:

Wow, that's next level! LOL "Ita"-ness aside, that's a really nice looking table, too. Fancy-looking. :catpopcorn:

Beefy

Billion Dollar Bitch
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,749,335
Pronouns
They/Them
hnnn I'm slowly turning the bag I use for uni into one of these. Every anime/kpop pin and dangly thing goes straight on it.
And the examples you used are really cute, I now have something to aim for visually 🧐

yerm

I can make the beat go! Graphics Lead Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,505,706
Pronouns
she/her
I saw a bunch of people with these last time I was at a convention (before COVID lol) and I thought they were quite cute tbh! However, I think if I tried to pull one of these bags off as a look I'd end up feeling like a cringy 14 year old in high school :noooo:

unicorn

Gay Street Fighter
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,683,631
i love how your ita-bag is all kawaii and then theres one MCR
your inosuke keychain is so cute :hehe:

i usually dont pay attention to other ppl when im out, but if someone is wearing an ita-bag im sure i wouldve noticed and remember them :RunPar:

Vampire

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭156,409
i love how your ita-bag is all kawaii and then theres one MCR
yeah, it's a little misplaced... and perhaps the kermit badge too, but then i was like, "ehh who needs to be that stringent" xD i do love me some mcr! :hehe:

your inosuke keychain is so cute :hehe:
thank you so much :poggers: you can't see him very well, but there's a giyuu behind him too!

i usually dont pay attention to other ppl when im out, but if someone is wearing an ita-bag im sure i wouldve noticed and remember them :RunPar:
you'll have to report back now once you finally do see one :TeaPar:

Herric

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭7,600
I love it when a little girl, keep it backside and walks on the street, it looks like an angel carrying her bunch of heroes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom