What do you look for to stan a group?

AKID❀KI

Death's Mistress
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,921,164
Regardless of kpop, jpop or cpop, for me to stan a group i look at the music, variety sense and choreo. I love a beautiful choreo. It was one of the reasons i became interested in kpop so for me to stan a group, the choreo needs to be amazing and i love sync too.
Also songs need to be like not too electronic cause i don't enjoy that much. Plus a variety sense is important, if you can make me laugh, i am going to be interested.

Something else that can capture my interest which is probably not going to be a common reason, is how they cover girl groups. If they respect the source material and don't mock girl groups, i will be interested in them more.
What literally got me interested in seventeen was the below video.

And then i checked more videos, fell in love with adore u and then pretty u was released (with its amazing choreo) and that was it. There was no turning back. I slipped into the diamond life.

So what do you look for to stan a group?

BlessMeAchoo

Excuse My Charisma
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭201,500
What first draws me to a group is their music and their choreography, if I don't particularly like a group's songs or choreo I don't bother looking any further into them and just casually listen to them. If I do like them, I watch their variety shows and see what their personalities are like. If they're funny and I like their personalities I become a fan. So basically for me it's a combination of things.

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600
Visuals, im a visuals are the first reason why i'd take interest in an idol/group. so many idols and groups in my bias list are because i saw a gif, pic, or short clip of them and looked into them further

the music. if i dont like the songs, there's gonna be a huge disconnect for me. everyone i stan, i at least love most of their titles, maybe even most of their discography

improvement over time. there's something really refreshing about idols who improve. tbvh, idols can coast by being untalented in the industry if they have smth else to fall back on (visuals/variety personality). but it means a lot to me when they still do, because the past has shown me that idols really dont have to do improve their skills or be talented to be popular

talent. I also like idols who are just, straight up talented right out the gate, whether it be in one area or many

stage presence and camera connection. this is probably the biggest thing on my list that will turn me into a stan. It makes pretty people prettier, it makes great dancers more interesting to watch, it gives me a better connection watching an idol sing. stage presence and camera connection arent the same thing. stage presence to me is how well someone stands out on stage, but camera connection to me is "do i feel like they're looking at me when they're on stage? or do i feel like they're just going through the motions?" i've never been too into choreography, just give me a great perf (and to me u dont really need amazing, show stopping choreo, to give a great perf, but others will feel differently ofc)

Most idols i stan, either have all of the above, or a mix of a few of them

grainy

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭851,511
That was a nice cover to watch! :eek:

For me it's music, interviews, camera connection. I love to see singers loving what they're doing. I love to read/watch people improving/working on themselves, it inspires me. I love to hear singers immersed in and proud of their songs. And I really love it when they leave me feeling positive.

Variety sense does matter too, insofar as they show they're empathetic towards others and have a sense of humour.

Last edited:

soozie

✴︎ Events
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭97,333
Music and personality for me. I’ll stan a group if I like most of their songs, and if the members seem like fun and nice people to be around with.

tokki

Awards Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭642,620
good music mainly but the members have to be interesting too

+ it helps a lot if they’re active on sns doing things like vlives often or posting random videos to youtube

Icy

Yuta
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,411,900
so far i know this much:
  1. too many members, anything above 9-10 is my limit,
  2. not enough members, i like atleast 6 people in a group or else i am bored
  3. atleast half the group has to be pretty
  4. i don't have to enjoy all their songs but it has to be rare that i dislike a song, and their titles have to impress me enough to be interested
  5. i have to enojy everyone's vocals or rap depending on what they do
  6. i don't need to like every member as a person, if they contribute to the group talent wise i am good
  7. i don't like to stan groups that are really nugu just because big fandoms are funner / less chances of disbandment, which is i don't really stan until they have a fewcomebacks, unless they're from the big 3 which is more or less garanteed theyll comeback
  8. i have to like their choreos / be interested in their music videos
  9. i can only emotionally care about one boy group and one girl group at a time

Last edited:

grainy

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭851,511
Visuals, im a visuals are the first reason why i'd take interest in an idol/group. so many idols and groups in my bias list are because i saw a gif, pic, or short clip of them and looked into them further

the music. if i dont like the songs, there's gonna be a huge disconnect for me. everyone i stan, i at least love most of their titles, maybe even most of their discography

improvement over time. there's something really refreshing about idols who improve. tbvh, idols can coast by being untalented in the industry if they have smth else to fall back on (visuals/variety personality). but it means a lot to me when they still do, because the past has shown me that idols really dont have to do improve their skills or be talented to be popular

talent. I also like idols who are just, straight up talented right out the gate, whether it be in one area or many

stage presence and camera connection. this is probably the biggest thing on my list that will turn me into a stan. It makes pretty people prettier, it makes great dancers more interesting to watch, it gives me a better connection watching an idol sing. stage presence and camera connection arent the same thing. stage presence to me is how well someone stands out on stage, but camera connection to me is "do i feel like they're looking at me when they're on stage? or do i feel like they're just going through the motions?" i've never been too into choreography, just give me a great perf (and to me u dont really need amazing, show stopping choreo, to give a great perf, but others will feel differently ofc)

and i stan u :heartpar:

rosie

• ♔ • Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭17,750
Music and whether or not I can keep up with their content :unsure:

Mina

ᴊᴜɴɢᴡᴏᴏ ʙᴇʏᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏғ ᴋᴏʀᴇᴀ Shop Lead Awards
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭35,700
Pronouns
she/her
Good music first and foremost but also good and funny personalities!

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600

Oh also personality. But that’s more a recent thing for me, since i only really bothered to sit down and watch variety shows this year

UMJI MOODS

엄지는 내 장미 VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭44,401,313
Audio is first and last. Visuals are nice and I enjoy beauty but I don't always see whoever. If I am just listening beauty has no play, so audio is paramount.

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭255,250
- Visual of course, since the average idol is pretty so at this point so almost any GG :ROFLMAO:
- Music, it's a bonus. If I love their songs i'm stanning more of course
- ENG subs, until I learn Korean having eng sub will help a lot to be more invested, more interested in a group and I will likely watch a content if they were subs
- Being active at least, even when not promoting
- Personnality and talent ? Doesn't really matters, same as music it's a +

boo

*¨*•.¸¸ପଓ VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭18,070
I have to know one of the members or group first (through ost, drama, pd, etc.) and be interested enough to check out their group varieties. From there, I look at their music and before I knew it, I became a stan.

For both Suju and Victon, their varieties were starting point for me to stan.

Top Bottom