Will AKB48 lose their #1 single of the year streak for the first time in a decade?

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
lg_rqq0uuu6k7zqz7pamzw.JPG

AKB48 has had the best-selling physical single on the Oricon yearly chart for 10 years in a row, keeping their #1 position despite numerous setbacks (scandals, changes in Oricon's counting methods, moving away from their general elections etc). For the last couple of years, people have expected their sales to decline and for them to lose their position but they have proven their doubters wrong with consistently strong sales.

But this year things might be different, as a new challenger has appeared. This week Johnny's debuted their latest boygroups, Snowman and Sixtones, with the joint single "Imitation Rain / D.D". It has sold a whopping 1.32 million copies in the first week alone. For context, this would have made it the second best-selling single of last year after AKB's "Sustainable" which sold 1.41 million.

At the moment it looks quite likely that AKB's decade-long streak is ending, but who knows, maybe they can surprise us again?

Dragon of the West

Iroh VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭797,050
Don't know much at all about the dynamics in J-pop but Imitation Rain is a great song so it's great seeing it selling well. D.D. is also pretty good.

JessicaRabbit123

Hallyuboo
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭286,575
As this was a joint debut, it could possibly be the power of two fandoms that boosted the sales. We'll have to see once they each release another single to really get a grip on where they stand on the charts but regardless, this was a debut that people waited 6 years to get, their fans are gunning to have physical remnants + the fact hat they're Johnny's certified them being top 10 singles from the start.

I don't think AKB will be losing their stronghold anytime soon as they have a dedicated bulk-buying fanbase but I do think this new decade will introduce a new wave of artists and idols who'll take the reigns for #1.

abra

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
As this was a joint debut, it could possibly be the power of two fandoms that boosted the sales. We'll have to see once they each release another single to really get a grip on where they stand on the charts but regardless, this was a debut that people waited 6 years to get, their fans are gunning to have physical remnants + the fact hat they're Johnny's certified them being top 10 singles from the start.

I don't think AKB will be losing their stronghold anytime soon as they have a dedicated bulk-buying fanbase but I do think this new decade will introduce a new wave of artists and idols who'll take the reigns for #1.
AKB are also unique, I don't think we'll see a girl group with their popularity and success in a long time. The newer female idol groups haven't (yet) managed to get as popular as those who were around at the beginning of the 2010s. It's interesting how it seems to be the opposite for Johnny's. Kinpuri, Sixtones and Snowman seem to be doing much better than groups like Sexy Zone and Johnny's West.

Sasori

Trainee Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭366,985
I don't follow Johnny's & Associates, but from what I understand there's been a resurgence in interest for their groups. I could be wrong, but the company seems to be taking steps to modernize and become more accessible for fans which has benefited their newer groups. 20 yrs on and they're finally entering into this century.

Melbo

ohisama Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭107,400
AKB are also unique, I don't think we'll see a girl group with their popularity and success in a long time. The newer female idol groups haven't (yet) managed to get as popular as those who were around at the beginning of the 2010s. It's interesting how it seems to be the opposite for Johnny's. Kinpuri, Sixtones and Snowman seem to be doing much better than groups like Sexy Zone and Johnny's West.

Nogizaka 46 is the most popular idol group in japan right now but yes i think they are not as a popular like akb48 was in the golden era in 2010-2012, principally because the idol industry is not as stronger like in these years But i think the sakamichi groups have members that have surpassed the popularity of the most popular member of akb48 (except sashi) members like maiyan, erika ikuta, asuka saito, nanase nishino and hirate yurina. They have entered in new markets for idols .

Last edited:

abra

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
Nogizaka 46 is the most popular idol group in japan right now but yes i think they are not as a popular like akb48 was in the golden era in 2010-2012, principally because the idol industry is not as stronger like in these years But i think the sakamichi groups have members that have surpassed the popularity of the most popular member of akb48 (except sashi) members like maiyan, erika ikuta, asuka saito, nanase nishino and hirate yurina. They have entered in new markets for idols .
I agree about Nogi being more popular than AKB now, but not sure about any of the rest. I can give you Maiyan, but not even Nanase, Ashurin or Yurina are as popular and well-known as Sasshi, Sayanee, Acchan, Yuko are/were. Yukirin, Mayuyu and Tomochin, maybe.

My post wasn't about Nogi though, as they were around in the early 2010s. I was thinking of newer groups like Keyaki (obv. very popular), =LOVE, Last Idol etc.

Top Bottom