Will international fans be outraged if IU enters the Chamshil Olympic Stadium, reaching the same height as Exo and BTS?

yknok

Nugu Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭273,220
I wrote about IU tackling the Chamshil (sometimes spelled as Jamsil) Olympic Main Stadium, hereafter Chamshil, and said she would probably do that on 2022 or 23.
However, because Chamshil was built on the 1980s, almost 40 years ago, a plan to remodel it (it is too expensive to scrap, and it is virtually impossible to find a land with such capacity near Seoul for less than $50 billion) was announced. The process is expected to be finished around 2025.

Chamshil will remodel from 2021 to 2024. That means nobody will hold concerts there for that period. The Sang'am soccer stadium is the only alternative and as far as I know only Big Bang held a one-day concert there. (Sang'am is a bit away from the city center while Chamshil is very near to it.)

So, since Gochuck needs a lot of work to upgrade its sound system, some people are speculating that the leader of KPop's Counter-Reform forces who want KPop to return to a stage before 1992 will simply jump to Chamshil this year, betting everything on one dice.

If she does that, she reaches a stage only Exo and BTS had reached in the third generation of KPop. And, ironically, because about 120,000 people were on the waiting list for her 360 degree concert at the Gymnasitcs, she might actually fill the Chamshil.

Although she is well known to the Kpop fans now because she had been there for a long time and because of her rumors around Jungkook, she is still an acquired taste to most international fans. The i-fans might become outraged that someone whose music is not geared toward the Kpop audience reaches the same stage as the two major KPop acts of 2020s.

28 years of history of Kpop is about to end by the hands of someone who was not even born when KPop as we know it began with SeoTaiji on 1992. It is the crowning moment of someone who fought the growth of Kpop for 10 years; after all these years of ridicule, being stiffed at Grand Prizes, etc, she finally gets to have her revenge against the entire KPop apparatus.

KPop now is actually in transition. Newer acts have to build fanbase while Korea's youth pop is declining. Established acts last longer, and are not getting any younger.

In the future, when IU has a concerts at the Chamshil either in 2020 or 2025, people will say this is when Kpop as we know it has ended. She already managed to outlast most of her competition on 2010, and since she is limiting her activities to keep people wondering, she will probably outlast the 3rd and 4th generations of KPop and would eventually compete with people who were not born when she debuted.

AhnMi

☆♡☆♡☆
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭425
Not to be that person, but it's spelled Jamsil. "Sometimes spelled Jamsil" No, always spelled Jamsil. Even the sign in the subway station is spelled like that. Plus ㅈ = J, while ㅊ =Ch. So 잠실 is always and only spelled as Jamsil. Chamshil is a very old spelling of it before they set the right spelling for pronouncing it.
%C0%E1%BD%C701.jpg

Last edited:

SageWren

The Genre is BTS Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭553,095
I know I for one am very angry by this, how dare one of the best selling soloists in the korean industry hold a concert in her home country😩😩

yknok

Nugu Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭273,220
Well, I am one of the people who still spell cities like Peking, Bombay and Calcutta in their old way.

Not to be that person, but it's spelled Jamsil. "Sometimes spelled Jamsil" No, always spelled Jamsil. Even the sign in the subway station is spelled like that. Plus ㅈ = J, while ㅊ =Ch. So 잠실 is always and only spelled as Jamsil. Chamshil is a very old spelling of it before they set the right spelling for pronouncing it.

AhnMi

☆♡☆♡☆
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭425
Well, I am one of the people who still spell cities like Peking, Bombay and Calcutta in their old way.
Why though? That's just wrong. Especially when you're writing the wrong information, such as "sometimes spelled as Jamsil", when in fact your own spelling is incorrect. Tststs

Last edited:
S

Some

Iu has a huge fanbase in korea and a big fanbase in asia and a decent amount of international fans why would anyone with a brain be mad ?

Top Bottom