WJSN Chocome's debut saved K-POP in 2020

Seunghee's Eyebrows

그댄 나의 Angel Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,951,488
I joined the K-POP brigade in 2008 and was wowed by the array of styles and genres throughout my time. But one concept stood out among the rest. And this was the
oddball and wild concept which doesn't make sense. And that was the main reason why I loved it. (Which is why I stan weirdos)

Orange Caramel and Crayon Pop lead the way with this concept pumping out hits which will live on forever in our timeline of K-POP; Lipstick, Catallena, Bar Bar Bar, Uh-ee to name a few raking in millions of views. But for some of these groups/songs, it really is either a hit or miss. You either love them or don't. Mainly cos it's weird or whatever I don't really know the true reason why cos I'm completely entranced by the concept. It's so odd that I'm sold.

When Orange Caramel and Crayon Pop became inactive, a lot of K-POP fans were starved of the weird and unique concepts for many years. We have seen
glimpses of their wild concepts here and there;

The year is now 2020 and on the 7th of October a new subunit was born called WJSN Chocome, dropping their debut song Hmph!.

Adorable title.
Wacky outfits
Catchy tune.
MV is addictive to watch. And Seunghee's Eyebrows doesn't really watch MVs more than once. Why? Cos there aren't many elements that make me want to watch it again. To not offend the billions of fans out there, it's...predictable?

But Chocome doesn't fit this narrative. It's weird with trumpets, gummy lollies, cereal and sandwich rolls turning into lobsters. It's so creative!

Thank you to WJSN Chocome for filling the void that Orange Caramel and Crayon Pop left in our industry!

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
Thank you for making this :heartublob: Such truth. This style is what drew lots of people to kpop and one of my favs. I'm really glad Chocome could give homage to the greats of the style and they did it perfect imo

Seunghee's Eyebrows

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,951,488
Thank you for making this :heartublob: Such truth. This style is what drew lots of people to kpop and one of my favs. I'm really glad Chocome could give homage to the greats of the style and they did it perfect imo
You're welcome. It's so different and I've been silently waiting for this concept to rise from the dead again.
I've seen this MV more than all the other MVs this year in total.
It's not the predictable close up stares at camera, flashing lights, visuals and choreo sorry for the dig but really its the type of MV that sticks to you

It's so weird, odd, strange and ran out of synonyms for weird.

dnb

Supporting Table Unnie Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,514,416
Glad to see WJSN Chocome is not going for the safe and predictable debut.

What I find amazing is that this subunit is but one of several good subunits that could come out of WJSN. That group is just loaded with talent.

Seunghee's Eyebrows

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,951,488
Glad to see WJSN Chocome is not going for the safe and predictable debut.

What I find amazing is that this subunit is but one of several good subunits that could come out of WJSN. That group is just loaded with talent.
You absolutely nailed it with the first statement.

Crayon Pop and Orange Caramel carried this concept baton for many years. Some groups picked it up for a few seconds but never really held on to it. I hope Chocome carries this for many more years to come.

Top Bottom