WJSN Playlist contest: 9th January-16th January [FINISHED-Winner announced!]

fromisSakura

Jelly | Seoyeon best girl VIP+ Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,174,650
Hello sorry for the delay, the judging have finally finished. Below in the spoilers are the judges scores and comments.

For reference purpose:

User 1/Submission 1: @sm maid

User 2/submission 2: @Mina

User 3/submission 3: @カカロット

All the judging were done anonymously with only me knowinh who is the contestants.

Judges 1:

User 1

Evolution of WJSN: 9/10
I liked how you selected songs chronologically, to show how WJSN’s sound has evolved over time. From something experimental and versatile at debut, to something that solidified their fanbase and sound, to something that further establishes their concept.

IGU IGU HING: 10/10
Diverse song choices, with diverse messages. They all portray a feeling of sadness, with a different cause. I like how RnB and ballad elements are used.

I’m so fine: 9/10
All very upbeat songs. They all have this warped sound to them, which might link in with their space concept.

As you wish: 10/10
I absolutely love our choices, and they all have that title track feel to them. As expected, their instrumentals are just on another level. I also like the diversity in your choices.

Hallyu+: 8/10
Would have been greater if you selected songs that were more personal to your experiences on H+. But I really like your upbeat song selections :)

Total Score: 46 /50

User 2

Evolution of WJSN: 8/10
Great how you chose songs to represent key moments in WJSN’s career. I would have liked to learn more about how their sound has evolved over time and which direction they took to obtain that ‘new sound’.

IGU IGU HING: 8/10
I really liked how all songs gave off a different feeling of sadness. Some of nostalgia, some of struggle. It would be great if you could explain how some of the songs evoked that feeling of sadness from you (Lights Up and Memories).

Babyface is an absolute bop. They all give off a very preppy vibe.

As you wish: 8/10
Let’s Dance definitely gives me title track vibes. I think they sampled from the Nutcracker in the intro of Love O’Clock. An interesting choice.

Hallyu+: 10/10
I really liked how personal your selections were, and how you liked your choices to particular experiences on H+. I Wish is also such a bop :)

Total Score: 43/50

User 3

I like how you talk about the diversity in their sound. Would be great if you could link this more to how this helped them evolve over time!

Hug U is such a great song! The best song for this category imo. I love how it describes the feeling of providing comfort to someone. Diverse choices.

I’m so fine: 10/10
As someone who also loves Infinite, these selections are absolutely my taste. I-yah sounds great. It’s kinda reminiscent of Back (BEST SONG EVER).

As you wish: 9/10
Thank you for providing a detailed summary of why you believe each track should be the title. I also liked how you linked their releases to previous releases on several occasions! Really shows that you thought a lot about the progression of their releases.

Hallyu+: 8/10
Would have been great if you provided a more personal explanation for how these songs shed light on your H+ experiences!

Total Score: 45/50

Judge 2:

User 1
Evolution of WJSN: 6/10
Unfortunately, I feel as though the representation of the groups progression here is stilted with these examples. Catch Me, while unique has never been a consistent style for WJSN, Secret of course is diametrically opposed to Catch Me in almost every way musically and conceptually.
While Badaboom is a fine example of dabling with different genres and styles, I would say that it's not a great representative of their musical progression within the context of who WJSN have become, although not a bad representation it just leaves me wanting... Secret vs Badaboom again is pretty opposite. I feel like if you used a different song other than Secret(which wouldn't make sense for WJSN) it would be easier to use Catch Me and Badaboom.
Not fully conceptualizing Secret leads to the misrepresentation of WJSN’s progression through Catch Me/crush genre, which is something WJSN have used very sparingly. It would be much easier to make the case for the MoMoMo>Secret>DCT/SMSY>AYW progression as that is the fundamental element of their style the magical/space concept with soaring multilayered vocaloid vocals,unique instrumentals that are "WJSN": thick funk/disco bass, space inspired keyboard, precise choreo, amazing aesthetic,etc. All of that is built upon the WJSN concept followed in their secret films.

I agree with the songs being sad and emotional, these are some of their best

Point off for Babyface always being weird to me, but yes this is great playlist for #3

As You Wish: 9/10
Luckity Cat and You Got are perfect! But you missed the easy triple crown with I-Yah. Let's Dance is a good song however on the FTS album I felt that OH My Summer was a better title track, but honestly none of them were better than Boogie Up for a title.

I think these are great songs to show how you feel about H+

Total Score: 44/50

User 2

Evolution of WJSN: 7.5/10
Secret is of course their main style. You,You,You is a song that I'm not sure really represents their progression as much as it is a throwback to their Full album(Happy Moment) and From WJSN(I Wish) songs). To me the progression in that album is of course the title track Save me Save You and their popular bside I-Yah, also Star and Masquerade both were better produced and written songs that had progressed into a more listenable state on this album versus some of their previous iterations of these styles.
Badaboom is an odd choice for a representation of where WJSN are right now considering this song doesn't really sound like a WJSN song at all tbh. A much better choice that would reflect actual attempts at their style would be Luckitty Cat. All the way back on Happy Moment there was Babyface, Geeminy and others that had this style, they have been working on the style in a lot of their songs, i.e: fast paced heavy bass and keyboard lines with lots of vocals. Babyface and more on Happy Moment, Cantabile,Memories,You Got,WW,Luckitty Cat.
You could however take the deep track line and say they have been experimenting with Songs like 12 O'clock and Don't Touch is an extension of that experimentation in a sense.
You,You, You and Badaboom are not great representations of WJSN progression in relation to their large discography and majority of style.

Igu Igu Hing: 10/10
Great choices for this question

I'm so fine: 9/10
because Babyface weird lmao

As You Wish: 6/10
These are all interesting choices however I can’t say I agree with any of them keke
I would never, ever, ever, ever replace Secret. No way would I replace DCT. Or Boogie Up even lol. I also would have chosen Robot over Bebe, Renaissance over Love Song and Oh My Summer and My Type over Lets Dance on those particular albums.

Excellent choices for your explanation of H+ through WJSN!

Total Score: 42.5/50

User 3

Evolution of WJSN: 8.5/10
This is a decent progression in my opinion while not quite linking up perfectly Mo Mo Mo to Cantabile at least is in the same genre and still space orientated. Full Moon is I think an acceptable song to put there due to Dawons irl songwriting progression. However, this track isn’t really what I would call WUJUpop lmao. It however sounds more like WJSN than other choices lol.

Igu Igu Hing: 10/10
excellent choices

I'm so fine: 9/10
Babyface weird. I Yah should be in #4 lol. WW great song.

As You Wish: 8/10
Good thing you didn’t pick Badaboom haha. Luckitty Cat is great. Miracle is a good choice although I'm not sure how much better it would be as a title track than Happy lol. Oh My Summer is an excellent choice, the perfect WJSN summer showcase song. I-Yah and You Got go here.

Great choices! Tick Tock was a good one lol.
Total Score: 45.5/50

Judge 3:

User 1:
I think these are pretty good choices, and the explanations are clear in why the user chose
each song. As someone who doesn’t listen to WJSN aside from their title tracks and a few well
known b-sides, these picks aligned closely to what I personally imagined as WJSN’s musical
evolution.

Igu Igu Hing: 9/10
As I know almost no WJSN title tracks, these were new discoveries for me that I really enjoyed.
I thought the user’s explanation of the meaning behind the lyrics were especially important in
highlighting each song. I really liked how the user chose a different type of sadness/longing for
each song.

I’m So Fine: 7/10
I’m a big fan of fun, up-beat dance tracks and these really hit the spot. I love how the user
picked songs from WJSN’s lesser known but equally as good upbeat albums. Solid choices all
around.

As You Wish: 10/10
The passion the user had for each of these songs were really evident and I was convinced of
the quality of all of these songs due to it.

Awww, I liked how the user embraced the cute and fun part of kpop! I totally agree! I think
these songs show the more playful side of WJSN while also showing the user’s image of H+.

Total: 45/50

User 2:
Very similar list to user 1, and I think that speaks a lot about the musical journey of WJSN.
These are all good choices and listening to them back to back, I can hear WJSN’s evolution.

Igu Igu Hing: 7/10
I liked the personal touch for the first song, but for the second and third, a longer explanation
would’ve been better. I would like to know why Memories is a sad song for the user.

I’m So Fine: 7/10
Again, these songs are all bops and I loved all of them! I think a longer explanation of why each
song makes the user happy would’ve been preferable!

I liked how the user said that the songs had “unexplored potential.” That’s definitely a
sentiment I share, and I can relate to the user in why they chose these songs. As a fan,
although we love our faves’ title tracks, we always have that thought of “what if” for our favorite
b-sides.

I personally connect to the user’s feelings a lot and I thought it was really sweet how they
chose these songs to show their gratitude towards this forum. The user’s explanations were
perfect and I really enjoyed reading them.

Total: 43/50

User 3:
I liked how the user chose more “underrated songs” that still showcased WJSN’s evolution.
The songs aren’t the typical WJSN songs I’m used to but the user manages to convince me
with their reasoning.

Igu Igu Hing: 7/10
I liked the variation of songs the user chose. Not all of them are typical ballads, but they’re all
emotional in their own way. It would’ve been better if the user went more in depth about their
personal reaction to each songs.

I’m So Fine: 9/10
All of these songs are bops and somehow, reading the description of each songs, I enjoy them
even more. I really liked how the user explained why each song has a different upbeat melody
and atmosphere and it was well written.

It’s funny how all three users seem to agree on so many things, but it shows the most in this
section. It seems there are some very popular b-sides that many wish were title tracks or at the
very least promoted. While I can’t speak as a Ujung, I do agree that all of these songs have title
track potential, and I can feel the user’s passion through their words.

Hallyu+: 9/10
I LMAOed at Tick-Tock because it’s so true, but overall, this section was short and sweet. I’m
glad the user has been more active and while I hope they wrote a bit more, they still managed
to get their point across.

Judge 4:

SUBMISSION 1
Playlist 1
- catch me may have proved their versatility but that can be said for the other tracks on the album as well. i dont believe that it showed their full potential but it was a strong starting point
- secret is a great choice as it was the release that brought the group positive attention, their fanbase steadily grew from then. agree with what the user said
- while badaboom is a good choice, i think full moon would make a better one with dawon taking part in its composition, showing the group's growing participation in producing their own music
Score: 7/10

Playlist 2
- 10/10 reasoning for good night, completely agree
- you & i is also a great choice, it's a fan song so it's not about unrequited love just for the user's information :D
- 10/10 reasoning for star as well, completely agree
Score: 10/10

Playlist 3
- aye my type is also my favorite song off that album, it really is fun and uplifting!
- enough said for ww thumbsup
- i love the fact that babyface gives the user a confidence boost!

Playlist 4
- great picks accompanied by good reasoning! those are also my picks for those albums, an immediate 10/10

Playlist 5
- the user is able to relate the tracks to their happy times on the forum. however, they should have related the songs more to the forum than kpop in general
Score: 6/10

SUBMISSION 2

Playlist 1
- secret is definitely a track that marked new beginnings for the group, points are valid
- one of my favourite songs, i'm convinced by the user's explanation that you, you, you showcases the group's growth
- a good reasoning for badaboom but just like i explained in user 1's submission, i think full moon would make a better one with dawon taking part in its composition, showing the group's growing participation in producing their own music
Score: 8/10

Playlist 2
- nothing more i can add really. as the user mentioned, although the lyrics could be seen in a positive way, they give off a sad feeling. a notable pick is memories which although isnt a slow song like the other two, makes me sad as well

Playlist 3
- i can't argue with anything the user said, decent choices
Score: 8/10

Playlist 4
- an unexpected choice of bebe over secret. as much as i enjoy bebe, i think secret was the better choice. it does fit their concept but secret works much better as it has the sounds that the group is known for. line ditribution is the least of a title track's worries. if bebe was the title track instead of secret, i doubt that they would have gotten as much positive attention as they did with secret
- another interesting choice, dreams come true was a big break for the group which might not have been the case if love o clock was the title track. however, i do agree with the user's points
- "an unexplored potential as a title track" sums it up
Score: 6/10

Playlist 5
- hearing what the user had to say about their experience and relating the songs to their experience warms my heart

Total: 42/50

SUBMISSION 3

Playlist 1
- i see cantabile, i give a 10. to back that up, each of the user's picks lines up with what i was looking for in this playlist, starting off with their debut followed by their distinct sound and moving on to a track that a member participated in composing

Playlist 2
- nothing more i can say, it's hard to go wrong with this playlist especially when backed up with relatable explanations

Playlist 3
- similar to the previous playlist, it's hard to go wrong with it when backed up by relatable reasonings
Score: 9/10

Playlist 4
- great choices for title tracks

Playlist 5
- the user's explanation for tick tock had me laughing LOL. a good song to summarize their experience
- everything else fits the bill
Score: 9/10

Total: 48/50

Therefore,

User 1's total accumulated score: 46/50 + 44/50 + 45/50 + 43/50 = 178/200

User 2's total accumulated score: 43/50 + 42.5/50 + 43/50 + 42/50 = 170.5/200

User 3's total accumulated score: 45/50 + 45.5/50 + 43/50 + 48/50 = 181.5/200

Therefore congrats @カカロット for winning the WJSN Playlist contest! You will receive 200k coins.

The rest of the participants will receive 30k plus coins.

As the result was late, each participant will also receive one orb from me as a bonus.

I will also like to thank @jinsoul, @WithJuyeon, @MVSica, @rosie, @yooamygirls for helping me host this contest. Thank you

fromisSakura

Jelly | Seoyeon best girl VIP+ Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,174,650
Prizes have been sent!

ivrsN2Q.png

Top Bottom