Wonder when we will get rookie who could carry Sistar concept

Danee

♥ ANSWER ♥ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭234,495
I always missed two types of group in this gen.
After School (like someone having their force on stage) and Sistar (like someone who would be fun and summerish and down to earth and still slay their performances).

Recently I found rookie who can be the force, even though their route will probably be as hard as AS as well, but mostly wont reach their lvl of recognition.

So it leaves Sistar's spot in my heart still open. There is still noone who could carry their legacy and concept in this gen.

Any tips?

Seunghee's Eyebrows

그댄 나의 Angel Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,951,588
After School... the one who pushes the boundaries in concepts. Pole dancing, drum line and tap dancing. I look forward to seeing a group that could do that. But a lot of people are saying that idols are becoming more saturated

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭256,350
Indeed there is a spot missing with this concept. Maybe with a new GG with an "older" year average ?

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
Wew just felt like writing an essay :dogeLaugh:

TIPS:
- You should stan WJSN tho :TzuyuKek: They are Sistars daughters! And look

I think they are pretty talented tooo
- Nostalgia can cloud enjoyment of new groups (For me it was SNSD forever and WJSN now that they are Icons of Hope:MomoShook:, I compare them too much in an unrealistic way and don't give new groups a shot sometimes)

I will take my own advice and notice Everglow :TzuyuKek:

- Realistically Sistar concept wasn't Sistar concept until 2 years after debut... to me Alone( 2 years) is the beginning of Adult Sistar and for sure with Give it to Me(3 yrs, my fav) , expecting that from potentially a 16 year old rookie doesn't make sense tho, lets give them a shot to grow into Sistar. Touch my Body and Shake it were 4 and 5 years into their career.

- Really tho all of what I wrote there is also irrelevant because sexy concept wont be coming back any time soon due to negative stigma and groups disbanding without popular replacement( Stellar, AOA(different now), Hello Venus, Dalshabet, Girls Day, Sistar, AS, Miss A etc)

-whatever Blackpink/gidle/ kinda itzy do has basically replaced that style, which is a shame to me because I prefer Sexy style music much more :dogeLaugh:

-To me Ultimately, The direction of gg kpop has moved with Twice, Blackpink, Red Velvet(big 3), Mamamoo(they are kinda pioneers rn I suppose) and Gfriend/WJSN/OMG/LOVELYZ(Fantasy/space) into a new generation none of which are overt sexy concept, in fact if you compare Summer Bops from this year ( Boogie Up, Umpah Umpah, Tiki Taka, Fun!, Bungee, Fever ) they are definitely not like Girls Day - Ring My Bell, Or Touch My Body, or even Shake It really. That is def intentional by the companies imo, they know that doesn't sell like it did (kinda, only a few sexy groups from 2nd gen sold well )

Last edited:

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭256,350
When they debuted Hyolyn was 20 and Dasom 16/17yo. So I think it was more about their aura.

But, as MVSica said, they waited until 2012 to do "Alone". And agree they had an aura and a visual who helped to express so well their concept.

We'll see if current rookies will change into a more mature/sensual/sexy concept in 2-3 years

Danee

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭234,495

TIPS:

- Nostalgia can cloud enjoyment of new groups (For me it was SNSD forever and WJSN now that they are Icons of Hope:MomoShook:, I compare them too much in an unrealistic way and don't give new groups a shot sometimes)

- Realistically Sistar concept wasn't Sistar concept until 2 years after debut... to me Alone( 2 years) is the beginning of Adult Sistar and for sure with Give it to Me(3 yrs, my fav) , expecting that from potentially a 16 year old rookie doesn't make sense tho, lets give them a shot to grow into Sistar. Touch my Body and Shake it were 4 and 5 years into their career.

- Really tho all of what I wrote there is also irrelevant because sexy concept wont be coming back any time soon due to negative stigma and groups disbanding without popular replacement( Stellar, AOA(different now), Hello Venus, Dalshabet, Girls Day, Sistar, AS, Miss A etc)

-whatever Blackpink/gidle/ kinda itzy do has basically replaced that style, which is a shame to me because I prefer Sexy style music much more :dogeLaugh:

-To me Ultimately, The direction of gg kpop has moved with Twice, Blackpink, Red Velvet(big 3), Mamamoo(they are kinda pioneers rn I suppose) and Gfriend/WJSN/OMG/LOVELYZ(Fantasy/space) into a new generation none of which are overt sexy concept, in fact if you compare Summer Bops from this year ( Boogie Up, Umpah Umpah, Tiki Taka, Fun!, Bungee, Fever ) they are definitely not like Girls Day - Ring My Bell, Or Touch My Body, or even Shake It really. That is def intentional by the companies imo, they know that doesn't sell like it did (kinda, only a few sexy groups from 2nd gen sold well at all )

I like WJSN but their concept is very different from what Im looking for rn. but I seriously enjoyed Boogie up. Like A LOT.

Im like only ANS fan/promoter here so I know about them. Girls are more fierce then easygoing and fun types like Sistar tbh. :D

I think you forgot How dare you or So cool... Those were pre Alone and the concept was still sexy and fun (like their summerish bops).

I think sexy will come back. But honestly it depends on new SM gg. If they will be the new hit and bring back cute, we will skip the sexy era imo. Otherwise we are stuck still in age comparable to years when 4minute and 2Ne1 etc were trending -> hence why Blackpink / G-Idle / Itzy is kinda trrending.

Last edited:

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
I like WJSN but their concept is very different from what Im looking for rn. but I seriously enjoyed Boogie up. Like A LOT.

Im like only ANS fan/promoter here so I know about them. Girls are more fierce then easygoing and fun types like Sistar tbh. :D

I think you forgot How dare you or So cool... Those were pre Alone and the concept was still sexy and fun (like their summerish bops).

I think sexy will come back. But honestly it depends on new SM gg. If they will be the new hit and bring back cute, we will skip the sexy era imo. Otherwise we are stuck still in age comparable to years when 4minute and 2Ne1 etc were trending -> hence why Blackpink / G-Idle / Itzy is kinda trrending.

:heartublob: I get it lol! I'm glad you liked it! I bopped all summer to it as well keke

I am just getting into them because of their WUJU cover keke I have some research to do lol

True! Sistar are legends, but that's awful hard to compete against tbh. I'm sure there will never be another Sistar, they had it all!
It would be a little more fair to compare with a normal gg from 2nd gen :TzuyuKek:

I would like sexy to comeback but with more artist say and control because the Stellar situation bugged me quite a bit:knifeduck:

Yes that's a good point about SM, we have been kinda waiting a while to see where things will go with their NGG
:wherearethelies:

We all know how SM ggs change things for the industry

Danee

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭234,495
:heartublob: I get it lol! I'm glad you liked it! I bopped all summer to it as well keke

I am just getting into them because of their WUJU cover keke I have some research to do lol

True! Sistar are legends, but that's awful hard to compete against tbh. I'm sure there will never be another Sistar, they had it all!
It would be a little more fair to compare with a normal gg from 2nd gen :TzuyuKek:

I would like sexy to comeback but with more artist say and control because the Stellar situation bugged me quite a bit:knifeduck:

Yes that's a good point about SM, we have been kinda waiting a while to see where things will go with their NGG
:wherearethelies:

We all know how SM ggs change things for the industry

I really want to think Stellar situation as whole is minority thing tbh, especially among groups whose names get t least semi known. Their company pushed the sexy way behind the line which shouldnt be crossed for idols tbh and it was only for their own incompetence in promoting and marketing the group well (even though the members themselves were talented and pretty and their songs were good). Im kpop fan for awhile and I saw a lot of questionable shit. But tbh havent seen another group who was this uncomfortable with their concept tbh. Neither I saw company which would try push their idols into dancing in thongs and short skirts.

I think we all can expect which way JYPE and YG will go with their groups but its kinda hard to read SM since they dont have general concept or style for their groups. But since Red Velvet is "only" n3 (most of my biases are total nugus and I think being n3 in such oversaturated industry is hella good and great achievment) I guess they will aim for something more like SNSD. Which can shake things up a lot tbh. But in the same moment they can debut with concept non of us expect. And thats it. :D

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
K-Pop has changed I don't think there is a market for groups like those anymore. It is even more slanted towards boy groups and a female audience. If you look at girl groups they are either girl crush or some kind of innocent/peppy variant. There really isn't any group that does femme fatale or playful beach girl or something of the sort. It's a shame because personally I really enjoyed those concepts more but it's how trends go. Maybe in a few years they will come back, but it's impossible to predict. I think if you try to pull of anything like Sistar, AOA, After School, Girl's Day or even like Kara or T-ara you won't find much of a fanbase. What seems popular right now is either bad ass concept or girl next door.

Aquamaraqua

Jinyoung's Wife
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭970,145

TIPS:

-To me Ultimately, The direction of gg kpop has moved with Twice, Blackpink, Red Velvet(big 3), Mamamoo(they are kinda pioneers rn I suppose) and Gfriend/WJSN/OMG/LOVELYZ(Fantasy/space) into a new generation none of which are overt sexy concept, in fact if you compare Summer Bops from this year ( Boogie Up, Umpah Umpah, Tiki Taka, Fun!, Bungee, Fever ) they are definitely not like Girls Day - Ring My Bell, Or Touch My Body, or even Shake It really. That is def intentional by the companies imo, they know that doesn't sell like it did (kinda, only a few sexy groups from 2nd gen sold well )

(G)I-DLE don't have a specific concept... their concept is whatever they conceptualize, and it's not specifically teen or girl crush. Lion, Senorita, Uh-Oh, Hann and Latata are all very different from each other.

"After School (like someone having their force on stage)" The only 4th gen girl group that reminds me of After School is (G)I-DLE. Soyeon is to Kahi in terms of owning something and helping delegate her art to her group. While for Kahi it was dance, for Soyeon it's rap. As a hard Playgirlz, it made sense to me why I was attracted to IDLE, especially after their 2018 MMA performance.

(G)I-DLE go above and beyond for their live perfs, similar to AS, and it was evident on Queendom. Anticipating what side they show in their upcoming comeback~

I've seen people mention sensual and sexy, and even before I was a Neverland I always found Hann to be that way, and when they came out with Senorita it took a more playful direction.

12e3a825d821a995cfdc6b52db2523f83623261fr1-500-278_hq.gif

tenor.gif

Also Red Velvet. I'm not a fan but some of their stuff is pretty sensual I'd say.

Last edited:

Aquamaraqua

Jinyoung's Wife
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭970,145
K-Pop has changed I don't think there is a market for groups like those anymore. It is even more slanted towards boy groups and a female audience. If you look at girl groups they are either girl crush or some kind of innocent/peppy variant. There really isn't any group that does femme fatale or playful beach girl or something of the sort. It's a shame because personally I really enjoyed those concepts more but it's how trends go. Maybe in a few years they will come back, but it's impossible to predict. I think if you try to pull of anything like Sistar, AOA, After School, Girl's Day or even like Kara or T-ara you won't find much of a fanbase. What seems popular right now is either bad ass concept or girl next door.
I totally disagree. I feel as though girl groups from lesser known companies get much more international hype compared to their boy group counterparts these days. Whether that leads to something substantial in numbers is less evident thus far with the whole digitals v physicals argument. But there's definitely a difference in hype from what I've noticed.

Personally the group to me that reminds me the most of the 2nd gen is IDLE. I wasn't a fan of any of the 3rd gen girl groups (Rubber Soul were not really idols), and so it makes sense why the only other gg I stanned after After School & SPICA were them. Of course, it's a new era, and I think IDLE have their own sound and landscape, but it's not entirely like the teen/girl crush trend of the new gen or exactly like 2nd gen versions of "sexiness", either. But to be honest, After School also really only had an extremely sexy concept with Flashback and maybe First Love. Shampoo, Bang!, BoY, Diva, Ah were all quite different from one another in a way it made sense for the group... which is why when women conceptualize their own work (Kahi in this case) I feel as though they're able to diversify themselves more organically.

Red Velvet's Peek-a-boo, Psycho and Bad Boy are also pretty sensual to me, although they stay within the realms of sexiness for SM.

I think we also have to remember that a lot of girl groups didn't go right out the gate with sexy concepts. It took After School 3 years to go full on, probably due to age reasons as well... who knows if (G)I-DLE or another group in their 3rd year will show off that side.

BlessMeAchoo

Excuse My Charisma
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭201,500
I miss Sistar, summer really isn't the same without their summer bops :tears:
WJSN are probably the closest, Red Velvet also have some summer bops:HappyPar:
But for me Sistar are still the queens of summer.

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭558,935
I totally disagree. I feel as though girl groups from lesser known companies get much more international hype compared to their boy group counterparts these days. Whether that leads to something substantial in numbers is less evident thus far with the whole digitals v physicals argument. But there's definitely a difference in hype from what I've noticed.

Well funny you say that because in my experience it is exactly the opposite. There are a lot of low tier boy groups that get to do random shows on random countries and only mid tier GGs get that chance. We are both going on anecdotal evidence though so this will probably end in an impasse. I doubt there is a reliable source for the numbers.

Regardless of which of us is right about that no group will survive to fill the shoes of Sistar or AS without establishing some sort of domestic success so international preference is irrelevant. The big companies that spend a lot of money on market research and have a lot of stake on a group succeeding or not have clearly steered away from concepts even remotely like what either of the aforementioned groups did. Even the mid and low tier companies that have risen behind the big three are nowhere close to anything like it.

A group could come in the near future and disprove me, but I doubt so and so far none has done so. Even the transition period that some groups did into that kind of concept isn't common right now with several popular groups reaching their 4th and 5th year. Imo the transition groups like Twice and Gfriend are doing right now is much closer to something like Girls' Generation at their later stages did than anything AS or Sistar ever did.

Aquamaraqua

Jinyoung's Wife
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭970,145
Well funny you say that because in my experience it is exactly the opposite. There are a lot of low tier boy groups that get to do random shows on random countries and only mid tier GGs get that chance. We are both going on anecdotal evidence though so this will probably end in an impasse. I doubt there is a reliable source for the numbers.

Regardless of which of us is right about that no group will survive to fill the shoes of Sistar or AS without establishing some sort of domestic success so international preference is irrelevant. The big companies that spend a lot of money on market research and have a lot of stake on a group succeeding or not have clearly steered away from concepts even remotely like what either of the aforementioned groups did. Even the mid and low tier companies that have risen behind the big three are nowhere close to anything like it.

A group could come in the near future and disprove me, but I doubt so and so far none has done so. Even the transition period that some groups did into that kind of concept isn't common right now with several popular groups reaching their 4th and 5th year. Imo the transition groups like Twice and Gfriend are doing right now is much closer to something like Girls' Generation at their later stages did than anything AS or Sistar ever did.
I think we've got the same facts, just approaching it from different perspectives. As K-Pop has expanded, so many groups now have a market to tap into. Even nugus can tour, and it's been well-established that boy groups have more touring power than girl groups, just like physicals. Whereas in terms of international appeal on forums or stan twt (LOONA) and public appeal in Korea, girl groups are seen as more legitimate. Now we just see an amplified version of this due to the expansion of K-Pop as a market. So for every 1 Everglow there are 10 VAVs touring.

In terms of domestic establishment, (G)I-DLE are on their way. Queendom helped gain them traction, and the fanchants on KBS Gayo are a big indicator of their success, aside from it continuing to chart on MelOn despite not even being promoted.

RE: the bolded, I feel as though slowly we're seeing more girl groups have more artistic freedom. Pristin, although disbanded, did have a hand in their work, and IDLE are obviously prolific in their own way. "Teen crush" and "middle ground" sort of concepts have evolved as the prioritized concept for groups not as heavily involved in their own work... which is a majority of the current girl group climate.

I do agree, the 3rd and 4th gen has generally been banal for girl groups in my opinion, but the 4th gen does give me hope, especially with (G)I-DLE. As I've mentioned previously on this thread, they have continually proved themselves to be a malleable, innovate group, in the same vein as After School.

Top Bottom