Your top 10 idol group titles of 2019?

Aquamaraqua

Jinyoung's Wife
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭970,145
To be honest, I wasn't very impressed with kpop idol music this year. Over the years I've had to dwindle down my idol favorites from top 30s to 10s. Regardless, here is my top 10:

10. BVNDIT - Dramatic: EDM drops are hard to stand out from the crowd, but this group has so many different, rich voices, that one can't help but fall in love with the song. A song I think sets the stage for BVNDIT's future success.

9. Apink - %% their strongest comeback to date in my opinion. The concept was unique enough to set them apart from other groups, and the song was very addicting. I will say I did grow slightly tired of this song as the year went by, but it's still a good listen nonetheless.

8. TXT - Cat & Dog - I gave up trying to hide my guilty pleasures in music a long time ago. This song has an irresistible trap beat, so much so that I don't even mind the autotune used here. These five boys got me singing "I just wanna be your dog, woof woof". TXT's power is apparently converting people to furries.

7. TXT - Run Away - I miss melodic choruses in K-Pop. This one fit the bill, and did it in a nostalgia-pulling-your-heart sort of way. Although the "bbibidi bbobidi" part was a bit cheesy and personally took away from an otherwise angsty song, I thoroughly enjoyed this song. TXT are on an upward trend for me, anticipating their comeback.

6. IZ - Eden: Not really an idol group, but had to include this song, as it's my favorite by a K-band this year! Truly just classic rock, with fantastic vocals, and an amazing anthematic chorus, with a very powerful end.

5. ATEEZ - Utopia: Not a K-Pop title, but lucky for me its Japanese version is, so I can shove it in your faces now. It's a song with a roaring chorus, and I highly appreciate the vocals on display here. I wasn't too into ATEEZ, but I heard a snippet of this on Twitter... and not to fuel fancam commenters but, this really piqued my interest, so I had to check out the Korean version, and I found myself also jamming to the Jp version of the release. I highly suggest listening to both!

4. ASTRO - Blue Flame: My birth month brings all the bops to the yard (see: EXID - I Love You). This is by far Astro's strongest release. It's got a nice groove, while remaining hard hitting when needed. Well done EDM + addicting chorus + song about blue = I'm sold. Also, MJ might have just stolen my heart?

3. Favorite - Loca: Tropical house with middle eastern influences = a happy camper. I miss dramatic high notes in the ending chorus in K-Pop. This one has it. This is a strong title, with my only complaint being that the MV could have been more fitting for how powerful this song was.

2. ONEUS - Valkyrie: talk about a strong debut. This was spectacular: pulled from old-K-Pop, but had its own unique spin with use of silence and modern textures. I really enjoyed this concept, and even 10+ months later, can bop to this, attesting to the song's longevity.

1. CROSS GENE - CORVUS: If you've followed me on forums for the past few years, you'll know I don't put my biases as #1 just because they're my biases. CORVUS really is an ethereal track with traditional East Asian influences, trade-mark Cross Gene style, but hits in a more melancholic yet powerful way. It's definitely fitting to be their last song before military hiatus. I highly recommend everyone check it out.

925014a28eeff5c41c13bd151d84bc5ccaa5d230_hq.gif

Special mentions:

(G)I-DLE - Uh Oh: A song by IDLE I was initially disappointed by. The chorus felt too cheesy to me at first, but the more I listened to it, the more the verses stood out to me, and the more it got in my head. I grew to like it a lot more than I did initially, and even got over the fact that the ending verse wasn't the actual chorus. It's certainly an experimental song in K-Pop, and I'm glad IDLE took the risk--not everyone can pull this concept off. As a New Yorker, I'm so glad Soyeon produced this track inspired by NY 90s/early 2000s hip-hop.

GOT7 - You Calling My Name: This year seems to be a year boy groups I wasn't ever into stepping up their game! The song is GOT7's best to date imo, and shows off the strengths of each member. Also hands off Jinyoung, he's mine.

CLC - Me: I wasn't a fan of the Hate-esque drop at first, but surprisingly it grew on me, even moreso than No. An addicting song.

CLC - No: Not my favorite title by CLC, but a concept I think was one of the most important ones for girl groups in the past 5 years of K-Pop. The chorus is riveting, and the song overall is catchy and powerful with a sprinkle of sass. Feminism, glamour, and an enjoyable chorus makes this a must-see comeback.

TWICE - Fancy: Was not expecting to like this as much as I did. I think this highlights all the strengths of each TWICE member (although it would have been nice to have more Jungyeon, js) in a charming, tongue-in-cheek way. Catchy, and fun. Last time I enjoyed a song this much by TWICE was Likey.

(G)I-DLE - Senorita: Similar to Uh-Oh, I wasn't very impressed with this track on first listen. It felt like too much was going on for me. Although not as much as Uh-Oh, this song definitely grew on me, and I was able to take in all the jarring aspects more aptly. Soyeon's rap was the part that was most off-putting to me, but it became palatable with every listen, and before I knew it I would sing "DAGAWA JWO YO NEGAERO ANA JWO SSEGE DEO, ALGOSIPEO 'BOUT YOU-O-O-OU" randomly in my house.

KNK - Sunset: their first song I truly enjoy. Vogue-y vibes, and their new rapper is a great addition. His voice is very unique and helps elevate KNK's prowess.

Everglow - Adios: Bringing club EDM back to K-Pop. Anything even a sliver including deep club EDM like After School's Flashback Otogloid ver. has me sold. I wish the verses were as memorable as the chorus, but regardless, I do like this song.

ACE - Undercover: I'm a huge fan of rock and hard EDM, but for some reason ACE's past works never really spoke to me. This hits that sweet spot for me, where the song sounds cohesive enough, while remaining just a tad more edgy than the average pop song with rock influence. Keep it up, ACE! They've got some of the best vocalists of the new gen and deserve every view.

Dreamcatcher - Piri: I always find something a bit missing in DC's titles for me to love. This one stood out well and I loved the rap parts in it. The only thing that held back this song for me was the crowded production in the chorus for an otherwise amazing song.

Weki Meki - Picky Picky: fun. Not much to say here.​

Last edited:

Aquamaraqua

Jinyoung's Wife
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭970,145
DIA Woowa: Kpop excellence​
lmao how come I thought this whole time I thought you were talking about woowoo from 2018. Woowa ain't my type, it'd be more cute if Momoland didn't release Bboomx2 last year ;; what's your top 10 though sis spill. And stream CORVUS.

Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭468,659
I don't listen to much Idol music so I'll just list my top 10 songs of this year:

1. 无羁(Wuji/Wangxian) by Wang Yibo and Xiao Zhan: I love the instrumentals in this, Lin Hai really outdid himself when composing this (let alone the entire album), Xiao Zhan and Wang Yibo's voices blend well together, Wang Yibo debuted as a rapper and yet he sounds this great!
  2. 忘机 (Wangji) by Lin Hai, a beautiful composition for my man Lan Wangji,
  3. 不忘 (Bu Wang) by Wang Yibo: This song conveys Wangji's feelings of longing and regret for WWX and I feel like they got that across spectacularly, esp the lines where he talks ab playing inquiry during the years that Wangxian were separated.
  4. Hot Hand by Yeseo: Yeseo releases another banger! Great as always
  5. Satisfied by Xiao Zhan: Soft and sweet
  6. 曲尽陈情 (Qu Chin Chen Qing) by Xiao Zhan, I especially love the lyrics in this and how they convey WX complex feelings towards Lan Wangji in a way that they couldn't through actions and words in the actual drama - thus it's expressed through the lyrics of the Wei Wuxian main theme, I especially like the end where Xiao Zhan has somewhat of a duet with the female folk singer, their voices sound amazing together.
  7. 芒种 - 音闕詩聽: I got this on my Spotify recommendations and it's been on my heavy rotations ever since
  8. 青玉案‧元夕 by 金然
  9. No One by Lee Hi - god this song is amazing
  10. 안녕, 나의 사랑 Goodbye, My Love (Demo) - 이루리(Lulileela)

Honourable mention: Touchin' by Kang Daniel

Last edited:

Aquamaraqua

Jinyoung's Wife
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭970,145
I don't listen to much Idol music so I'll just list my top 10 songs of this year:

1. 无羁(Wuji/Wangxian) by Wang Yibo and Xiao Zhan
  2. 忘机 (Wangji) by Lin Hai
  3. 不忘 (Bu Wang) by Wang Yibo
  4. Hot Hand by Yeseo
  5. Satisfied by Xiao Zhan
  6. 芒种 - 音闕詩聽
  7. No One by Lee Hi
  8. 안녕, 나의 사랑 Goodbye, My Love (Demo) - 이루리(Lulileela)
  9. 青玉案‧元夕 by 金然
  10. Touchin' by Kang Daniel
Idol music has been disappointing for the past ~4 years so I usually end up with more non-idols anyway. If I payed more attention to music at all this year I'd have even more non-idol muisc. But I'll make a separate list for non-idol group music in a later post haha.

Seeing your recs, we have similar tastes.

안녕, 나의 사랑 is totally up my alley. 80s deep synth wave hits me hard.

I love how a third of your list is Untamed stuff.

@the mando recs: Finally music I can sing that I won't horribly flop at ofaeifhwo 青玉案‧元夕 sounds like Lee Sunhee's fate a bit in the beginning. I like the vibes. 芒種 too. Added on my playlist. Did you listen to 一生等你 by 袁婭維? One of my faves last year. And if you like traditional sounding music, Ying Yang or Corvus by Cross Gene could be up your alley. Their whole concept is EDM + traditional fusion.

Polaris_Tae

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭468,659
Idol music has been disappointing for the past ~4 years so I usually end up with more non-idols anyway. If I payed more attention to music at all this year I'd have even more non-idol muisc. But I'll make a separate list for non-idol group music in a later post haha.

Seeing your recs, we have similar tastes.

안녕, 나의 사랑 is totally up my alley. 80s deep synth wave hits me hard.

I love how a third of your list is Untamed stuff.

@the mando recs: Finally music I can sing that I won't horribly flop at ofaeifhwo 青玉案‧元夕 sounds like Lee Sunhee's fate a bit in the beginning. I like the vibes. 芒種 too. Added on my playlist. Did you listen to 一生等你 by 袁婭維? One of my faves last year. And if you like traditional sounding music, Ying Yang or Corvus by Cross Gene could be up your alley. Their whole concept is EDM + traditional fusion.

The Untamed OST is god tier, I'm seriously considering getting the physical album (that's how much I loved it), I went out of my way to buy the CQL/Cookie9 biscuit collaboration the other month bc of this damn show! Lin Hai is a genius composer.

Oh, wow 一生等你 by 袁婭維 sounds amazing, for sure going on my heavy rotations!
I'll give the cross gene stuff a try, eastern sounding music is probably some of my favourite stuff coming out of music these days :love:

Last edited:

yooamygirls

how deep is your love VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭739,810
ohh fun. it's not the end of the year yet so who knows if something will be released in December that I LOVE but so far 2019's really been popping. I really enjoyed the majority of songs released this year. My top 10 would be:

1. Oh My Girl - SSFWL

Ugh, how flawless this song is. I could talk about this song for days. This is OMG doing what they do best and I'm so glad it did well in Korea as well. The MV is beautiful (and one of my faves) and the song itself is so fantastical and beautiful and perfect.

2. TXT - Run Away

This might become number one eventually since I've been listening to it pretty much non-stop since it came out. I love everything about this song and agree with a lot of the things you already said. This is pop punk perfection and I love how addicting the chorus is and there's literally not a boring second in the entire song. Stan talent, stan txt.

3. Oh My Girl - BUNGEE (Fall in Love)

This was the song of the summer for me. BUNGEE never fails to make me happy and it's literally my go to pick me up song. It got me through midterms and essays and I love how fun and bubbly it is. I'll never shut up about how perfect this whole era was.

4. Red Velvet - Swimming Pool

Another summer song. I'm not crazy about Red Velvet's Japanese songs (I far prefer their Korean songs) but this year was an exception. Although their Korean songs have been good, Swimming Pool is, in my opinion, far superior. I love the girls' harmonization and it makes me want to go to the beach and party. Such a feel good song.

5. BTS - Mikrokosmos

This song is my favorite song off Persona and after watching clips of BTS using it as the ending song for their SY tour I can't stop tearing up whenever I listen to it. It's very emotional and the lyrics are vulnerable but at the same time it's a very uplifting and hopeful song. BTS's songs never disappoint and this song is proof of that.

6. Oh My Girl - Guerilla

My OMG trash self is coming out in this list but I really can't help that OMG just released some of their best material this year. Literally I am in love with every single song they released in 2019. Guerilla might go up the list as well but for now it's at 6 simply because it was released later than some of the songs higher up on the list. I love how this is OMG's ethereal and magical sound but it's also so badass.

7. IU - Blueming

This song was just released but I love it so much already it has to be in my top 10. I was a bit worried IU's title track would be a ballad (although I loved Love poem) but Blueming hit all the spots. I've been humming it non-stop and it might be my favorite IU title track since.....23 probably. My dream is to watch her sing this live.

8. TWICE - Feel Special

I wasn't crazy about this song when it was first released (still liked it more than Fancy, which I also grew to love) but soon enough I fell in love with it. 2018 was the year of TWICE for me and although 2019 didn't quite match up, it still was a very solid year. I love the lyrics to Feel Special and how the girls take turns singing the chorus. A very special, meaningful song.

9. (G)I-DLE - Uh Oh

My favorite (g)i-dle song ever. Although I like (G)I-DLE's entire discography, Uh Oh was the one where I found myself keep on looping the song. I love Minnie's voice and how it gets to shine in this song and love watching performances of it. I have yet to get sick of it despite the amount of times I've played it.

10. TXT - CROWN

My favorite debut in a long time. I was very excited for TXT's debut and this definitely didn't disappoint. I love how fresh and unique it is and definitely sets TXT apart from other rookies. I think this song really showcases each five members' charms very well and was a great choice for a debut song. I can see this becoming a timeless bop.

Honorary Mentions:
BTS - Boy With Luv (feat. Halsey)
Taeyeon - Four Seasons
Red Velvet - Umpah Umpah
Mamamoo - gogobebe
Bolbbalgan4 - stars over me
BTS - Lights
Chungha - Snapping
Red Velvet - Milkshake
Red Velvet - Sunny Side Up!
BTS - Heartbeat​

lovenatu

🥺 Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭24,950
There weren’t many idol group title songs that I liked this year, even my bias group didn’t have the best songs this year imo which is a shame because I thought 2018 was their best year yet.

in no particular order:
1. Twice - Feel Special
2. Cherry Bullet - Q&A
3. Everglow - Bon Bon Chocolat
4. Black Pink - Kill This Love
5. Itzy - Dalla Dalla
6. APink - %%
7. Loona - Butterfly
8. Oh My Girl - The Fifth Season
9. CLC - No
10. CLC - Me

theyre not idols, but I also really liked Day6‘s Time of our Life. Probably my favourite korean song this year after 4 Seasons

MVSica

✨🐻Ujung🛰️✨ Donor VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭130,653
1. WJSN - As You Wish

Literally the best song ever written. Whole civilizations have been created to worship this song
(It's Cosmic n stuff, i.e time travel/space physics)

zAcNgEt.gif

2. WJSN - La La Love
The best song with La and Love in it. Don't @ me, idc :hearteu:

3. WJSN - Boogie Up
Finally the crown has been passed from Sistar legends to WUJU queens :heartpar:

4. Oneus - Valkyrie
Impressive. Most Impressive. :darkkermit:

5. Apink - %%
I like this a lot. Despite my best efforts(During La La Love comeback) :TzuyuKek:

6. Weki Meki - Picky Picky

What can I say it's great :partydogo:

7. Red Velvet - Umpah Umpah

Im very happy they came out with this so I can forget that magic curse they were working on...
:MomoShook:

8. BlackPink - Kill This Love

3 girl groups have already tried to copy this song :sehunehh: they failed

9. OMG - SSWFL

The acronyms may be excessive, but it's an OMG classic :RichPar:

10.a SUPER M - Jopping

Well my fav bgs are EXO and SHINee

:sehunehh:

10.b Twice - Fancy

One of my favorite Twice titles:heartublob:

Honorable Mentions :

Cherry Bullet - Q&A
Ab6ix - Breathe
NCT127 - Superhuman
OMG - Bungee
CLC - Devil & Me
Dreamcatcher - Deja Vu
DIA - Woowa

Icy

Yuta
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,411,900
  1. Wayv take off
  2. Superm jopping
  3. Itzy Icy
  4. Itzy Dallas Dallas
  5. Red Velvet zimzalabim
  6. Blackpink kill this love
  7. Red Velvet umpah umpah
  8. Wayv moonwalk
  9. Stray Kiss miroh
  10. Ace undercover

Panda

VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭3,908,941
  1. Apink - %%
  2. WayV - Take Off
  3. A.C.E - Savage
  4. WayV - Moonwalk
  5. A.C.E - Undercover
  6. TXT - Runaway
  7. TWICE - Fancy
  8. Red velvet - Umpah Umpah
  9. Saturday - BByong
  10. VICTON - Nostalgic Night

Polaris_Tae

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭468,659
And if you like traditional sounding music, Ying Yang or Corvus by Cross Gene could be up your alley. Their whole concept is EDM + traditional fusion.

Okay, so I hit up Cross Gene and I must say that CORVUS is now a new addition to my playlist, it's great! I used to kinda stan Cross Gene up until ab 2015, though I was probs more a Takuya solo stan, bc I knew him from his acting and stuff on Japanese/Korean variety.
Shooting Star is still god-tier :love:

Last edited:

Bobo

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,100
lmao how come I thought this whole time I thought you were talking about woowoo from 2018. Woowa ain't my type, it'd be more cute if Momoland didn't release Bboomx2 last year ;; what's your top 10 though sis spill. And stream CORVUS.
Sis eye-
I'm not good at writting so i'll just give names

1. DIA - WOOWA
2. OMG - Bungee
3. Dreamnote - Hakuna matata
4. Vixx - parallel
5. Verivery - tag x3
6. The boyz - DDD
7. GWSN - pinky star
8. Exid - me & you
9.PRIZ*ON - Violeta
10. Verivery - ring x3​

Chomiczewska

Hamster First Place HoE Chomi
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭25,170,349
  1. Jus2 - Focus On Me
  2. Chungha - Gotta Go
  3. GOT7 - You Calling My Name
  4. Weki Meki - Picky Picky
  5. Itzy - Dalla Dalla
  6. Chungha - Snapping
  7. EXID - Me&You
  8. Twice - Fancy
  9. Apink - %%
  10. NCT 127 - Superhuman

Honorable mentions:
CLC - Devil
Taemin - Want
Twice - Breakthough and Fake & True (I don't like mixing korean and japanese releases so they are here, but I like both of those way more than Fancy tbh)

Aquamaraqua

Jinyoung's Wife
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭970,145
Okay, so I hit up Cross Gene and I must say that CORVUS is now a new addition to my playlist, it's great! I used to kinda stan Cross Gene up until ab 2015, though I was probs more a Takuya solo stan, bc I knew him from his acting and stuff on Japanese/Korean variety.
Shooting Star is still god-tier :love:

CORVUS really is that song, hehe Glad you liked it! Their comebacks post 2015 have been amazing as well. Black or White most notably is a dark concept with gore, if you're into that. Its album, Mirror, was done so that Black Mind and White Mind, their bsides, would come together for the title track Black or White.

Taku is a sweet one. He's had a recent king of masked singer perf, and is also modeling in korea lately. The boys are on hiatus now for military, so just doing musicals/webdramas, but once 2021 comes around I hope they leave and form their own company together.

And yes, SS is incredible. :heartublob: New Days is also amazing if you're into dark power ballads.

Polaris_Tae

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭468,659
CORVUS really is that song, hehe Glad you liked it! Their comebacks post 2015 have been amazing as well. Black or White most notably is a dark concept with gore, if you're into that. Its album, Mirror, was done so that Black Mind and White Mind, their bsides, would come together for the title track Black or White.

Taku is a sweet one. He's had a recent king of masked singer perf, and is also modeling in korea lately. The boys are on hiatus now for military, so just doing musicals/webdramas, but once 2021 comes around I hope they leave and form their own company together.

And yes, SS is incredible. :heartublob: New Days is also amazing if you're into dark power ballads.

Awesome! I'll give it a listen.
It's just the younger three that need to do military service right? Since iirc, Seeing already did his service prior to becoming an idol.

Aquamaraqua

Jinyoung's Wife
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭970,145
Awesome! I'll give it a listen.
It's just the younger three that need to do military service right? Since iirc, Seeing already did his service prior to becoming an idol.
Yep! Shin is enlisting early next year, and we're still up in the air about Yongseok and Sangmin, but ideally they could all go next year while Seyoung continues to compose music/sing OSTs.

Top Bottom