REVIEW Anime Review: His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano)

Ackerman

Everything Everywhere All at Once Administrator
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭14,404,084
Review: His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano)
Review written by: Wonkru

235a5c6d7fb2d5b1432a72f2220f2f2d197d6d09_hq.jpg

The perfect power couple.

Genre –
Comedy, Drama, Romance, School, Shoujo, Slice of Life

Length – 26 Episodes

Run – Oct 2, 1998 to Mar 26, 1999

Animation Production – Gainax, J.C. Staff, The Right Stuf International

Note: If you have read the manga, I am well aware of the issues and will address them at the end of the review.

This isn't Evangelion. At it's core Kare Kano is a simple story. We start out with Yukino Miyazawa. Yukino is at the top of her class and is kind, intelligent, pretty and modest to boot. Everyone praises her and is usually the center of her class and school. She gladly takes in all the praise and admiration because of her true nature. You see, she has put up a facade for most of her teenage life. In reality she is not as kind and modest, she’s actually pretty arrogant and self-centered. This little facade goes on until Soichiro Arima catches Yukino showing her true colors, and I mean literally. Soichiro is a new student at the school and is also kind, handsome, modest, and intelligent. However just like Yukino he also has a dark side and decides to blackmail Yukino after discovering her secret. As these two develop an odd friendship many things start to occur around them, and then romance steps in to make things even more complicated…

6e82e3168e12f620cb753c1ecc1e15302c22cbdd_hq.gif

The art in this series is experimental. Visually as the anime progresses it delves deeper into an avant-garde style of presentation. It becomes less of an animated series and more an experiment in visual storytelling. I personally appreciated this aspect of the series as it made me look forward to seeing how the story would be told in each episode. We were presented with popsicle stick figures, cityscapes, flashing images, sketch book drawings; the list goes on of weird stylistic choices in certain episodes. In essence, it was very different and very interesting to watch. Think of the art as a mix between TTGL and FLCL.

Kare Kano mixes romance and comedy well. The romance is not cheesy most of the time, which is good, and the comedy is top notch. Both Yukino and Soichiro’s friends make sure to add more of both into the mix. Speaking of their friends, none of the additional cast are wasted. This anime is self aware, and when something felt out of place or needed some comedic relief, it made sure to address it by using the cast. Anyone who watches this anime will be laughing nonstop throughout the series, as well as catching yourself smiling like an idiot at some of the endearing moments you will experience with this fun and sometimes serious relationship.

Moving on to the music, the soundtrack was not very impressive. The music throughout the anime was average. I feel they could have made a better soundtrack but it does the job in needed moments.

The OP & ED however are great. Personal favorites of mine.

Going back to what I said about the manga, I feel I should make some things clear. Most who have read the manga and then watched the anime complain about its weird approach and outcome. Though the anime is based on the manga, it does drift away from it. The anime implemented more comedy than its manga source and some things are changed so that it fit into 26 episodes. Directors were also changed and you will notice the anime change gears around the middle.

To finish off, there is rarely a dull moment in this series and it is constantly making sure you are up to date with what has happened so far, which does get a bit annoying if you marathon through the show. Story wise, it is nothing special. Its how it was portrayed that makes it very entertaining. Kare Kano goes through the struggles of self improvement and acceptance, and learning to love despite human faults. I really did enjoy this anime and hope everyone else will give it a try. It's a good nostalgia trip of when things were a little more simpler and anime wasn't trying too hard to impress a crowd who has seen it all.

Plot: 8/10
Art: 7/10
Sound: 8/10
Enjoyment: 9/10

8/10

Note: The ending will leave you speechless, for many reasons.​

Last edited:

BlueNose

Not to say that Im in love with you VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,195,600
a friend of mine told me about this some time ago, vyr u beva watched cause i didnt put it in my list, and then forgot
i'll have to put it in my list now :RichPar:

Pyron

The Blue Lightning Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,423,330
About the ending of the anime:

It sadly didn't end adequately duo to conflicts with Anno and Tsuda and also because Gainax's mismanagement of budget. I just wish they could make a proper ending with the same style that Anno was aiming for, but again both creators were at odds.

Anno is an amazing director, but he is very particular about his visions (and he put a lot work during Karekano, might as well made something original) and Tsuda seems the same as well. His step down probably due to the stress of this conflict was also a detriment to the series unfortunately (well not the first series from Gainax to suffer from this, he was battling depression as well and Evangelion's reception in Japan was certain a insane ride for him).

They could make a remake which would be closer to Tsuda's work, but this series will be forever an unique take on shoujo.

I think it's a must check anime independent of liking the genre. This is the kinda of show who rides on the vision of the director. It's a unique beast.

Top Bottom