BREAKING NEWS BoA investigated for violating import drug regulations & SM Entertainment responds

Astro

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­1,650,100
ihjn1vx9l5161.jpg

BoA has been investigated for violating import drug regulations.

According to reports on December 17, BoA was questioned by prosecutors on the 16th for violating import drug regulations due to careless customs clearance procedures by employees of her label SM Entertainment's overseas branch. An employee of SME's overseas branch is reported to have sent sleeping pills from Japan to Korea, and because they did not follow proper clearance procedures, BoA and the employee were questioned by prosecutors. Neither BoA nor the employee are said to have been aware of formal import procedures.

In response, SM Entertainment stated, "Recently, BoA took a prescribed sleeping pill after receiving a doctor's opinion that she needed sufficient sleep due to a decrease in growth hormones, but the side effects were severe. Recalling that the drugs prescribed for sleep disorders had no issues during Japan's activities, an employee of our overseas branch received the drugs through normal procedures after being checked at a local hospital, but he was not aware even the drugs prescribed overseas could be a problem in Korea."

SME added, "We plan to strengthen multi-faceted education for all employees to prevent this from happening again in the future. I'm sorry to have troubled you."

In other news, BoA recently made a comeback with "Better", which commemorated her 20th anniversary since debut.

Source

heather

your heart's not broken, it's only growing Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­96,270
Pronouns
She/Her
what i ment was when bom took a depresion medicne she was perscribed with her to korea from america in 2010 koreans made a big deal in 2014 and because boa is a godess they wont say anything
I know the situation with Bom. I just... that is just kind of uncomfortable to compare (especially considering the circumstances.) But okay.

soozie

✴︎ Events
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­1,010,333
i don't all i wanted to is to point how koreans favorite certain artists over the the others. And how unfair it is
... yeah but the implications of what you're saying is basically it'd fairer if Boa gets the hate like Bom. Tbh I doubt Knetz are on her side cause all I see is mixed reactions so far, and a lot are criticizing her too.

Honestly, it'd be nice if this case is resolved well, maybe it could help change the mind of Knetz a bit and even prevent any other cases like Bom's from happening again - wouldn't that be a good thing for everyone?

Grape Soda

SKZ Simp πŸ‡πŸ‡πŸ‡ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­3,180,125
Apparently it was more than sleeping pills and sm is deleting articles saying otherwise because she could have just gotten that filled in korea especially if its just for sleeping pills

S

Some

... yeah but the implications of what you're saying is basically it'd fairer if Boa gets the hate like Bom. Tbh I doubt Knetz are on her side cause all I see is mixed reactions so far, and a lot are criticizing her too.

Honestly, it'd be nice if this case is resolved well, maybe it could help change the mind of Knetz a bit and even prevent any other cases like Bom's from happening again - wouldn't that be a good thing for everyone?

no i'm not implying anything my point was she's probably gonna get treated normally and not get hate like bom and by normally " why make a big deal over medicine that was perscribed to her due to her health issue " that's it

Po'etry

High Priestess Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­3,004,928
There are many drugs which can be legally prescribed in one country but are illegal in others. Examples: Amphetamine derivatives, triazolam. You can't just take one product from one country to another even it's for your mental health. There are procedures to follow-which by the way even most prescribers aren't aware of! Most stimulants (the drug in Bom's case) and sedatives (BoA unless she was taking an antidepressant with a sedative side effect) are considered addictive and therefore included in vice investigation.

What Bom was taking is not FDA-approved for depression. It's for attention deficit disorder with or without hyperactivity. So the American doctor/prescriber giving it to her was not giving it to her for a standard, labeled indication unless she was also diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. I'm not saying this is fraudulent prescribing. Many doctors use medications off-label.

And it's illegal to share prescriptions. It sounds like the SM employee got a prescription under their own name and shared it with BoA based on the OP. That's fraud.

Last edited:

Po'etry

Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­3,004,928
Apparently it was more than sleeping pills and sm is deleting articles saying otherwise because she could have just gotten that filled in korea especially if its just for sleeping pills

Not all sleeping pills are legal in every country though. And prescription drugs must be used by the person they are prescribed for. If SM Japan employee goes to doctor in Japan and doctor writes prescription for SM Japan employee and SM Japan employee sends their prescription to BoA: It is illegal. The sleeping pills were not directly prescribed to BoA. It is fraud to take a medication not directly prescribed to oneself. Scenario #2: Doctor in Japan prescribes BoA medication without a direct consult with BoA, lab work, or an appointment. That's also illegal because it is also fraud. Scenario #2 is on the doctor though-even if someone coerced them.

Is fraud an abstract concept?

Last edited:

Grape Soda

SKZ Simp πŸ‡πŸ‡πŸ‡ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­3,180,125
Not all sleeping pills are legal in every country though. And prescription drugs must be used by the person they are prescribed for. If SM Japan employee goes to doctor in Japan and doctor writes prescription for SM Japan employee and SM Japan employee sends their prescription to BoA: It is illegal. The sleeping pills were not directly prescribed to BoA. But a lot of lay people are not aware of these laws so first-time offense is forgivable. Scenario #2: Doctor in Japan prescribes BoA medication without a direct consult with BoA, lab work, or an appointment. That's still illegal because it is fraud. Scenario #2 is on the doctor though.
Zolpidem, the one they are claiming she took are available in korea.
This isnt a park bom thing where she couldnt get those in korea. Why not get it in korea if thats only the case. SM is deleting every article about this left and right if it was just sleeping pills they wouldnt have to do that. The only ones staying up are the ones only claiming sleeping pills.

sm maid

Global Star Administrator Events VIP+ Eighth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­113,457
Pronouns
She/Her
Zolpidem, the one they are claiming she took are available in korea.
This isnt a park bom thing where she couldnt get those in korea. Why not get it in korea if thats only the case. SM is deleting every article about this left and right if it was just sleeping pills they wouldnt have to do that. The only ones staying up are the ones only claiming sleeping pills.

What the translator I follow is saying is that Korean Zolopidem and Japanese Zolopidem are different and the Korean one had side effects on her while the Japanese didnt

Po'etry

Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­3,004,928
What the translator I follow is saying is that Korean Zolopidem and Japanese Zolopidem are different and the Korean one had side effects on her while the Japanese didnt

Japan tends to go with lower dose-like half the American dose. Idk about Korea. BoA should just take a half tablet if she has side effects. Unless it's the extended release formulation.

This topic is reminding me of a Blackpink historical fanfic I wrote:

m5QBpjZ.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom