''Game Of Thrones'' writers cut battle with 50 direwolves from S8 because they thought it would be boring to watch

Snowdrop

Flop Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭0
Source

The scene was meant to feature in 'The Long Night'

Season eight of Game Of Thrones was meant to feature a battle involving 50 direwolves, it has been revealed.

The dropped scene was set to feature in ‘The Long Night’, the third episode in the final series of the HBO show.

Director Miguel Sapochnik has explained that the creatures were intended to gather to attack the Night King’s dragon, but the idea was scrapped because he thought it would be boring to watch.

“There were many things that happened, that people would have been so happy to have happen,” he told the Filmmaker Toolkit podcast. “Attack of direwolves and crazy stuff. At some point you’re like, ’50 direwolves attacking an undead dragon does not a good movie make.’”

He added that he was cautious about including the scene because it could have become “a remix of every battle we’ve done.”

Sapochnik also discussed the killing off of major characters in season eight, saying he wanted to be more ruthless about it but was stopped by writers and showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. “I wanted to kill everyone,” he said. “I wanted to kill Jorah in the horse charge at the beginning.

“I wanted it to be ruthless so that in the first 10 minutes you say all bets are off, anyone can die. David and Dan didn’t want to. They were saving it for [penultimate episode] ‘The Bells’, kind of.”

4vp1n9kb8o031.gif

munyuna

孟美岐 ♡ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭83,785
there was a lot of boring things to watch in this last season eh

arieam

Lurker Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭0
it would've been boring to watch. the entire season was trash despite having great imagery bc the writing was absolute horseshit. why couldn't we just get a proper rhaegal vs viserion fight to the death.

vitaminplus

You, you better think TWICE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭12,515
Sapochnik also discussed the killing off of major characters in season eight, saying he wanted to be more ruthless about it but was stopped by writers and showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. “I wanted to kill everyone,” he said. “I wanted to kill Jorah in the horse charge at the beginning.

“I wanted it to be ruthless so that in the first 10 minutes you say all bets are off, anyone can die. David and Dan didn’t want to. They were saving it for [penultimate episode] ‘The Bells’, kind of.”

I love his idea if this is how it would of gone and everyone died at the end it would of been 10 times better than how that disgusting ending was

Snowdrop

Flop Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭0
it would've been boring to watch. the entire season was trash despite having great imagery bc the writing was absolute horseshit. why couldn't we just get a proper rhaegal vs viserion fight to the death.
As soon they ran out of book material and Dumb&Dumber went on a power trip the show was doomed. They are good adapters, not good or decent writers.
One of them is responsible for this monstrosity that is Deadpool in the 2009’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine :
17-deadpool-x-men.w1200.h630.jpg

giphy.gif

AKID❀KI

Death's Mistress
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,921,164
I... that would have been an interesting scene to watch. Though I absolutely hate how they ruined some characters. I wont forgive them for what they did to jaime in the show, given book jaime left Cersei to die when she was imprisoned by the high sparrow.

arieam

Lurker Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭0
As soon they ran out of book material and Dumb&Dumber went on a power trip the show was doomed. They are good adapters, not good or decent writers.
One of them is responsible for this monstrosity that is Deadpool in the 2009’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine :
17-deadpool-x-men.w1200.h630.jpg

giphy.gif

one like = one prayer to star wars fans

arieam

Lurker Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭0
I... that would have been an interesting scene to watch. Though I absolutely hate how they ruined some characters. I wont forgive them for what they did to jaime in the show, given book jaime left Cersei to die when she was imprisoned by the high sparrow.

i'll have you know jaime never cared about the lives of innocents ok

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
Mehh that scene couldn’t have saved the disaster that was season 8

Maphisto40

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,270
Personally that would have annoyed the shit out of me, as they cut the actual direwolves we ever gave a shit about the entire show, down to a handful of appearances because apparently they just cost too much money or whatever. If they suddenly threw 50 at me (for what, shock value?) it would just piss me off.

Also, what kind of sense does that idea even make? Why would 50 random wild direwolves be south of the wall for any reason? Are they trying to imply that Bran is powerful enough to warg 50 at once for a coordinated attack? I know he's the Three Eyed Raven and all, but that seems a bit much, like the stuff you'd see in fanfic.

carol danvers

Higher, further, faster, baby ๑・ᴗ・๑
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭622,545
That episode was boring to watch anyway, as was the rest of the season. I can't believe they fucked up the final season so much, re-watching the series is almost painful because you know none of what happens even matters in the end.

one like = one prayer to star wars fans

Lol, after TLJ there's no hope left.

emily

개냥이 Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭23,750
that would have been stupid as hell but.. the treatment of the direwolves was so bizarre. we really couldn't have gotten something in the middle, lmao?

rektinq

regrettable...but there was no other way. VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭600
oof I mean fighting direwolves doesn't seem that interesting, maybe if only lasted like 1 min but I bet it took up like 1 ep

Doyoung

🌸
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭48,275
As a salty ASoIaF stan who's been bitter for the last 5 years, I'm thriving in all this salt lmao, finally people see them for the hacks that they are. They coasted along on the production values and the actor's skills for so long, they really weren't up to the task.
Also op, I stan your use of the tag "subvert expectations" hasgdfahsgfda

mert

Sensin Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,600
that's why nearly all important characters fought off like 100 wights at the same time and walked alive from that battle lol :taegun::onggun:

Top Bottom