'Idol School' trainees reveal harsh conditions participants underwent

GuardianofTheCosmicRealm

Servant Of Luda Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭229,700
1570195451-20191004-idolschool.jpg

MBC's 'News Desk' covered the harsh conditions the participants of Mnet's 'Idol School' had to go through.

'Idol School' is already facing allegations of vote rigging and unfair advantages, and on the October 4th episode of 'News Desk', trainees revealed they were forced to endure harsh conditions when they lived in a dormitory together during the filming of the show. One participant claimed the trainees were not given adequate winter clothing, stating, "We had to go through winter with summer clothes. We would say to each other, 'This is what the military probably feels like.' Seriously for 6 months, we were dying of cold wearing summer outfits. We were always shaking because we were cold."

Another 'Idol School' participant claimed the trainees weren't allowed to attend school on a regular basis. She alleged, "They allowed us to go to school one or two times a month." The same trainee claimed all the trainees were often hungry during their time on the show, stating, "We would hide [food] in our hats and underwear, and we would take it all out of our underwear and eat it together like we were homeless."

Mnet's 'Idol School' is a 2017 reality survival show that aimed to create a 9-member girl group out of 41 female participants, who were trained in singing and dancing.

Echo

𝕎𝕠𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕝𝕒𝕟𝕕 Early Supporters
Reaction score
⨭23,441
If this is true, it's really fucked up... I remember the dormitory being all pink and cute, but if they're going to treat the contestants like this what even is the point of it :feelsblankie:

Bellamy

Maybe I'm weirdo, I know...〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭33,075,214
Pronouns
She/Her

grandmajudy

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭346,431
Some of the stuff reported may not be accurate. Idol School occurred during the summer time. The mention of needing Winter clothes in this article is odd.

You can't always take everything reported (particularly by a rival media company) as fact.

Sasori

Trainee Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭366,985
Some of the stuff reported may not be accurate. Idol School occurred during the summer time. The mention of needing Winter clothes in this article is odd.

You can't always take everything reported (particularly by a rival media company) as fact.

It is odd they mentioned Winter. The final episode aired on Sept. 29th, the beginning of Fall. I guess it could have been unusually cold.

grandmajudy

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭346,431
It is odd they mentioned Winter. The final episode aired on Sept. 29th, the beginning of Fall. I guess it could have been unusually cold.

They made it sound like the poor girls had to survive a harsh winter in tshirts and shorts.

Things stated anonymously are not consistent with what others have said about the IS experience. Dieting/Weight checkins are tough but that's unfortunately part of trainee life. Perhaps some of the independents were not accustomed if they weren't trainees before.

Here's a youtuber that was in Idol School talking about her experience.

lingyi

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭73,925
I firmly believe that Mnet is far from innocent about manipulation to some degree, but the allegations brought up here are a stretch.

In Season One, Mina and the others who were thought to be overweight were put on a strict restricted diet. And before that was shown, she was already dieting and was "caught" on camera eating snacks before the Pick Me debut. Before and during a comeback, all idols (definitely female and I believe male) diet to look good on stage. The main meals being salads.

As for not going to school, that's another part of idol training. Many trainees attend special art schools where they can be absent for a while and return when they can, sometimes causing them not to be able to graduate with their regular class, as with Yoo Jung.

In addition, filming of a show, especially reality show, takes hours and sometimes takes place late at night or early in the morning, not to mention that rehearsals and stage setups are done hours before the actual filming. There's a picture of Im Na Young sleeping standing up in class because she was secretly practicing late into the night during her pre-Produce debut days.

I think it was during Weki Meki Mohae that after everyone had their makeup and hair done, these "glamorous idols" took a nap on the floor of the dressing room. Time for attending school just isn't in the schedule.

Military style training IS a part of plan for idol training. They're given strict schedules and training routines to get the prepare them for idol life and get the best out of them. Remember, unlike the real military, they can leave if they want, and some have ever since Season One. In Produce 101 - China, the contestants in F class were told it wasn't a punishment, but they were there because they needed extra attention and training to rise up.

I won't be surprised if the next batch of allegations include having their phones taken away (standard even after debut), and lack of sleep (again, standard for idols during comebacks). *SIGH*

lingyi

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭73,925
I came across this old article from Mar 2017 about Produce 101 - Season 2. A few things to keep in mind. This from allkpop.com, so take it with a huge grain of salt . In Korea (all of Asia actually), giving priority to those of higher rank (in this case, class) is a must. And this is a good reason to raise yourself to a high class.

I'm sure this was discussed at OneHallyu, but sadly the discussions there aren't available anymore.

"Male trainees on 'Produce 101' have been revealed to be treated with discrimination according to their grade.

Just like the first season, the male trainees are labeled by a grade from A to F according to their talent and ability. However, unlike the first season, where the girls all ate the same food and had the same access to bathrooms, the program is severely discriminating against boys with lower grades. It's been revealed that the trainees in the lower grades get different food, and are limited even in bathroom use.

One of the labels said, "The bathroom is allowed for usage starting from the 'A' group, so the trainees in the lower group have incidents where they can't take care of their basic biological needs. We understand that it's necessary to group the trainees because there are so many of them, but it's unfair for the grades to affect everything."

The food is also becoming a problem. Because the boys get food in order of level, and side dishes are limited - the top tier boys get all the food, while the lower tier boys are left with just rice.

Another label said, "They're all growing boys, but they're eating just rice without any side dishes. They're not given enough food and they're forced to fight over it. The boys in the lower tier level have to eat and get strength, but they're getting weaker. We're worried this is just making young boys feel defeated."

The boys are also allowed out of the dorms only in order. Because there are so many boys and the lower grades can only leave after everyone in the upper level has left, the lower tier boys wait over 6 hours just to be able to go home. A third label said, "The label can only follow the staff's orders because if we complain, it could be bad for our trainee. Trainees are working so hard just to get their faces out. We're sad that their effort is being twisted."

A fourth label said, "'Produce 101' is a place that fulfills trainees' dreams. We participated without choice so we could get their faces out. But we thought maybe we made a mistake, seeing how they're being treated by rank even outside of broadcast. The program is being run through adult logic, and it may become a program that steals young peoples' dreams."

Mnet defended themselves by saying, "We're moving by group because there are so many of them. The trainees are treating each other with respect while competing. There is nothing that viewers have to worry about."

However, when viewers heard of the process, many were appalled. Netizens left comments such as, "Are they crazy? They're all humans. Why are they being treated differently?", "This is ridiculous," "You're teaching these young children some great things," and more.

What do you think?"

Source: https://www.allkpop.com/article/201...nated-by-grade-even-for-food-and-the-bathroom

lingyi

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭73,925
Sorry for the flood post, but it really irritates me when apparently incorrect/possibly outright false info is passed off at the truth.

Here's a video of Alex Christine from Produce 48 with Crazy Grace. At 11:40 she answers a question about the strict diet some of the contestants had.

Note that she starts by saying the individual companies forced the diet and Mnet reinforced the restrictions. Before you cry "Evil Mnet!", remember that it's in the sponsoring company's interest to have their trainees look their best and everyone who appeared on the show(s) and chose to be a trainee did it by free choice in their quest to become an idol.

Top Bottom