Japan to put surname first for Japanese names in English

Kami

惟神の道 Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭590,505
cropped_image_l.jpg

TOKYO - The government on Friday decided to follow the family-name-first order when using the Roman alphabet to write Japanese names in official documents, in a break from the long tradition of reversing it in line with other languages such as English.

"In a globalized world, it has become increasingly important to be aware of the diversity of languages that humans possess. It's better to follow the Japanese tradition when writing Japanese names in the Roman alphabet," education minister Masahiko Shibayama said at a press conference.

Shibayama proposed the idea and won approval from his fellow Cabinet ministers at their meeting on Friday. Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said details still need to be worked out but the government will step up preparations for making the change.

Critics doubt whether that change is necessary and note Japanese are used to writing their given name first when using a foreign language such as English. The practice began in the 19th to early 20th centuries amid the growing influence of western culture.

Shibayama is not the only member of the Cabinet of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to call for an end to reversing the name order.

Foreign Minister Taro Kono, who was educated in the United States, also raised the issue, saying that Asian leaders such as Chinese President Xi Jinping and South Korean President Moon Jae In retain their original name order in English.

We should address Japanese Kpop idols with their surnames first like Miyawaki Sakura, Minatozaki Sana, Myoui Mina etc too
:JudgyDubu:

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
Japanese are used to writing their given name first when using a foreign language such as English.
how ironic when western culture is used to doing it last name - first name for Japanese names
We should address Japanese Kpop idols with their surnames first like Miyawaki Sakura, Minatozaki Sana, Myoui Mina etc too :JudgyDubu:
don't we already do that :judgingyou:

Echo

𝕎𝕠𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕝𝕒𝕟𝕕 Early Supporters
Reaction score
⨭23,441
I already thought the western tradition shouldn't be applied to eastern names anyway, so I was already using surnames first :doge: I didn't know the official documents had names first though and I agree that it should be this way because at the end, it's a Japanese name

Loonathehoe

Trainee Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭37,340
wait what?

they wrote their names first name - last name in english?

we've always done it like last name - first name in spanish/english tho?

dannyy

The limit is inside your mind.
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭15,030
My home country has more than two or three syllables/words in their name. It's kind of hard to write since our full name mostly mentioned in full sentences as well, so I believe in a matter of names, almost there's no person here following English name rules since we know but ignore it in matter of how long our name sometimes is.

I thought Japan at least will be quite tight to secure their tradition, tho'.

Top Bottom