Question

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭29,735
So someone (from the USA) posted a video saying how Asian women were "stealying" and culture appropiating latin culture by dressing like "Latinos" (wtf is that even) Honestly it bothers me more than someone think that we latinos own certain clothing style and that no one else should dare to use it rather than someone actually appreciating it and using it, to me that cultural apropiation thing is only USA problem, we live in the global connected era, it is mean to share and unite the cultures not separate them more, idk if its because I'm from "Latin America" and we do not use the same terms than in the USA but here pretty much everyone is chill about things like that, and rather than by colors we adress each other by nacionalities, you will never see anyone from here say "im an African Peruvian or Chilean, Argentinean, Uruguayan, etc" it'll just be "i'm Peruvian, Chilean, Argentinean, Uruguayan, etc" yet in the USA it happens and whie people too when the say they're German or Italian. btw we "latinos" come in different forms, there are Indigenous, White, Black, Asian, etc, so no, there's not a certain way that we look because we are all different, we don't even get along that well either anyway, the term was just created to put us in a separated Americans bag

What do you think about that? help me understand the US pov

Sweetheart

resident himbo
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭580,500
Tea, latinx ain't a race.
i honestly don't mind if a foreigner dresses up as a huaso or "chinita", like, it's nice to see them trying their best to get to know the culture and blend in, specially in september.

on the other side, i understand when people claim culutre appropiation on cases like people inventing certain thing doesn't belong to this or that culture. (IDK if that makes sense, but i mean like when people claims stuff as their own culture when it isn't)​

carol danvers

Higher, further, faster, baby ๑・ᴗ・๑
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭622,545
I mean, gringos are always getting offended on behalf of everyone else, water is wet. More than the cultural appropriation is the stereotypes that bother me tho, like all the shitheads who think it's funny to get the mustache+sombrero combo for Halloween...yeah no.

we don't even get along that well either anyway LMAO, true story tho :teehee:

BlessMeAchoo

Excuse My Charisma
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭201,500
I think cultural appropriation is a difficult topic. Let's say person A wears something that has cultural significance for person B and person B is offended by this. Person A can't then say that it isn't offensive or that cultural appropriation doesn't exist because it isn't their culture that has been taken from so it isn't really their place to retort. Yet at the same time people are overly sensitive over the issue nowadays and it seems to be seen moreso as an issue in countries such as America where the population is more diverse. As someone who is mixed, I can kind of see where people get offended. For example I'm from Britain and if someone from another country wore something that was culturally significant to them they may get made fun of or people may make racist comments and yet if a white person were to wear it the response would be different because people might think they're stylish. The main issue with this is that the person appropriating the culture is just using the other culture to make themself unique and not because they appreciate nor have an interest in the culture. I don't think I explained that too clearly, but I hope my point still makes sense. Personally, I think cultural appropriation isn't much of an issue so long as people aren't ignorant and show respect to other cultures, but I can't speak for everyone.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭29,735
I mean, gringos are always getting offended on behalf of everyone else, water is wet. More than the cultural appropriation is the stereotypes that bother me tho, like all the shitheads who think it's funny to get the mustache+sombrero combo for Halloween...yeah no.

we don't even get along that well either anyway LMAO, true story tho :teehee:
Right? LMAO like gringos calling us taco, like dude I'm not Mexican, I don´t eat tacos, also gringos telling you how you are supposed to look because we al should be tanned gods or something but i pale af, that doesn't make me less latina

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭29,735
I think cultural appropriation is a difficult topic. Let's say person A wears something that has cultural significance for person B and person B is offended by this. Person A can't then say that it isn't offensive or that cultural appropriation doesn't exist because it isn't their culture that has been taken from so it isn't really their place to retort. Yet at the same time people are overly sensitive over the issue nowadays and it seems to be seen moreso as an issue in countries such as America where the population is more diverse. As someone who is mixed, I can kind of see where people get offended. For example I'm from Britain and if someone from another country wore something that was culturally significant to them they may get made fun of or people may make racist comments and yet if a white person were to wear it the response would be different because people might think they're stylish. The main issue with this is that the person appropriating the culture is just using the other culture to make themself unique and not because they appreciate nor have an interest in the culture. I don't think I explained that too clearly, but I hope my point still makes sense. Personally, I think cultural appropriation isn't much of an issue so long as people aren't ignorant and show respect to other cultures, but I can't speak for everyone.
idk, I think that as long as someone wears something and doesn't make fun of it it's okay, I mean the culture is really different here, iit'll be difficult to find someone who gets offended over things like this tbh

OutroTearTheFirst

Oh, I'm sorry, but nobody does evil the way I do! Fourth Place HoE
Reaction score
On a picnic with gasppepe eating nugget peepo
Plus Coins
⨭37,450
Pronouns
She/Her
Right? LMAO like gringos calling us taco, like dude I'm not Mexican, I don´t eat tacos, also gringos telling you how you are supposed to look because we al should be tanned gods or something but i pale af, that doesn't make me less latina
omg this reminds me
my mom was speaking to a client at her job and the client was like, "Don't be offended, but I don't like tacos."
hshddjdj
we ain't even mexican sweetie

Sweetheart

resident himbo
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭580,500
omg this reminds me
my mom was speaking to a client at her job and the client was like, "Don't be offended, but I don't like tacos."
hshddjdj
we ain't even mexican sweetie
Hate when they ask stuff like "In which part of Mexico is that place from?" when i talk about my country sgsdg

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭29,735
Hate when they ask stuff like "In which part of Mexico is that place from?" when i talk about my country sgsdg
I got told on twitter that I’m not Latina by a girl who said she was more Latina than me because she had darker skin color 💀 what does that even mean?

Sweetheart

resident himbo
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭580,500
I got told on twitter that I’m not Latina by a girl who said she was more Latina than me because she had darker skin color 💀 what does that even mean?
not at even latinx people telling each other stuff like this
it's just so ugly When people say stuff like "White passing latinx"​

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭29,735
not at even latinx people telling each other stuff like this
it's just so ugly When people say stuff like "White passing latinx"​
They really think we are privileged over others like 💀 girl I don’t even live in your country how the f I’m oppressing you?? We do not even share the same history but 🤦‍♀️

Top Bottom