Togashi Yoshihiro Reveals "Hunter x Hunter" Manga's Possible Ending in Case He Passes Away

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,506,925

Togashi Yoshihiro Reveals Hunter x Hunter Manga's Possible Ending in Case He Passes Away​

Hunter X Hunter manga creator Yoshihiro Togashi revealed on the television talk show Iwakura to Yoshizumi no Bangumi (Iwakura and Yoshizumi's Show) on Tuesday that he concieved four possible scenarios for ending the long-running manga. He said in a letter read aloud during the program that he developed three of the possible endings. He presented the fourth abandoned ending during the Tuesday's program, and added that it could be considered the ending in case he passes away before formally finishing the manga. Togashi is 57.

The creator reported that the fourth abandoned ending ("ending D") takes place after a time skip, years into the future. Mirroring the beginning of the manga, a girl named Gin is fishing at a pond and catches a huge fish. She proudly brings the fish to her mother and proclaims her mother can never ask her to become a hunter again, before leaving her mother with the fish. The mother debates Gin's future with Gin's father, expressing disappointment their daughter doesn't wish to become a hunter like her famous grandfather Gon.

hunter.jpg

After a scene change, Gin reveals she doesn't want to become a hunter because of how often her grandfather Gon left her grandmother Nouko alone at home due to his adventures as a hunter. She vows never to leave the island, and to stay forever by someone's side as a boy enters the room.

The final scene of ending D is a bird flying away into a sky as someone watches.

Togashi had hopes he would be able to think of a satisfying enough ending he wouldn't have to resort to the possible ending A, B, or C, which he predicted would have a mixed reception from audiences. He believed readers' reactions would be 80% positive on ending A, evenly split on ending B, and 90% negative on ending C. (He qualified that he does not personally think ending A would be highly rated by readers, just that it would be the "safe," noncontroversial ending.) Despite the overwhelming criticism he would receive from fans, Togashi personally preferred ending C out of the possible endings.

The manga went on hiatus in January, citing heath issues for the author. Shueisha stated at the time that it consulted with Togashi, and decided that the manga should not follow a weekly serialized format going forward. The editorial department added that once it knows concrete details of the manga's return and how the manga will be serialized going forward, it will reveal the details in the magazine. He recently hinted the comic would return soon.​

-

i know that some fans like to joke about Togashi dying before finishing the manga but the fact that Togashi himself has little hope of ending the story is... so he only revealed ending D) which he decide to drop, personally i don't like the idea of Gon becoming a dead beat just like Ging so i'm glad Togashi decided against it

no word on ending A, B and C so is likely he hasn't decided which of the 3 he is going to use

speaking of the story ending my favorite theory (which is a shitpost basically) is that HxH and Togashi's other work "YuYu Hakusho" are set on the same world (the demon world)

Vampire

IDLE TRANSFIGURATION Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭106,217
That is both just depressing and ominous...

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,506,925
That is both just depressing and ominous...
i really like Hunter x Hunter so is sad that we probably aren't going to get a proper ending to the story, i also feel bad for Togashi, while people likes to joke that he doesn't continue with the manga because he is busy playing Dragon Quest the true is that he isn't particularly healthy, i forgot which interview was but he said that at some point even couldn't even "clean" himself after using the restroom...

honestly i would be fine with Togashi letting an artist handle the art while he does the story at his own pace, the later is what makes HxX so good so as long as he is the one writing the story the rest doesn't matter as much, or even better make a script and give it to Madhouse and tell them to directly adapted the story into an Anime series

Vampire

IDLE TRANSFIGURATION Community Manager Moderator VIP+ Ninth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭106,217
honestly i would be fine with Togashi letting an artist handle the art while he does the story at his own pace, the later is what makes HxX so good so as long as he is the one writing the story the rest doesn't matter as much, or even better make a script and give it to Madhouse and tell them to directly adapted the story into an Anime series
I feel the same way!

Top Bottom