What are your thoughts on a pre-release before the official comeback?

Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭44,958
How much does a pre-release affect your interest in checking out the group's title track or their comeback as a whole? Do you prefer a comeback with a pre-release or without?

A pre-release is a song released before the title track and the album. It is used as a marketing strategy to build hype and anticipation before the artists officially promote their comeback.

Most of the time, a pre-release doesn't impact my interest in the comeback. It's often hard to distinguish whether a newly released song is a pre-release or the title track unless I closely follow the group. I prefer all the songs on the album to be released simultaneously so that I can enjoy listening to them all within the same day or week.

A good pre-release should sound like a title track rather than a b-side. It should also convey the theme and concept of the comeback. If the pre-release does not closely match the quality of the title track, the marketing strategy becomes less effective.

Ddeona Oneul Bame

#FREE THE BOYS Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭218,450
Pronouns
#FREE THE BOYS
I'm probably not listening to the pre-release of a group whose comeback I won't already be checking out anyway, so for me, it doesn't make too much of a difference. If I care enough to listen to your pre-release, then I was already going to listen to the main title, too. Though sometimes I end up confusing some pre-releases for the actual comeback. :feelsblankie:

hatmixx

Ain't Nobody Fifth Place HoE VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭357,350
Pronouns
No Sana No Life
I prefer if there is a pre-release actually. No rhyme or reason, just that more is always better. If i dont like it, nbd.

sm maid

Global Star Administrator Events VIP+ Eighth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭149,811
Pronouns
She/Her
It's been extremely confusing to follow releases lately because of the trend of pre-releasing sometimes even more than just one track.. like the artms releases confused me so much I kinda gave up on figuring it out
but I think one of the reasons for that is just cause spotifys system is trash and sometimes counts the same song as a different song if its in different albums, so having songs separately like that makes it a nightmare to know what I have checked or not
that being said... if it's a group I'm actively following I would love to have pre-releases but that's probably just cause I'm stanning a group that barely has enough budget to make one mv per comeback, so having two feels like a big privilege really

Sweetheart

resident himbo
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭570,650
i don't like pre releases and i don't think they are beneficial for the artist.
If the prerelease is good, the hype for the actual comeback will be high and then if the actual song isn't as good then it's a disappointment
if it's bad people won't want to check the title later

also a lot of times, kpop fans pour everything out for the prerelease and then in the actual comeback the title song doesn't do as well cause the fans don't have money left

Last edited:

Beefy

Billion Dollar Bitch
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,859,635
Pronouns
They/Them
I don’t like them because it feels like an unnecessary delay of the entire project/product. Like I want the entire album NOW not later.

and usually pre-releases don’t effect my interest in the album/comeback because kpop albums aren’t cohesive anyways :brbdying:

RussianRoulette

Taemin’s Wife Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,182,750
Pronouns
She/Her
I prefer pre-releases because of this:

Pre-releases are usually first but out as a single (usually a digital single), and then when the album is out it's just released in the album. Most companies don't release a single album for a pre-release.

Most people are annoyed with repackage albums because it's literally all the same songs just with one or two more songs added and different packaging. It's overall sort of a waste of time and resources.

I prefer pre-releases because instead of us getting a whole album repackage for one song after the album is already out, we're getting the one song, not wasting resources, and everything is included in the album later on in one go.

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭432,600
Why not but it can be confusing, I don't care much even if I prefer the "classic" way

But since it's to occupy the landscape, to increase the group's SNS and media presence, etc.

And with more b-tracks having MVs, companies who don't have the budget will fall behind or won't be able to compete

Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭44,958
I love pre releases there are so many bops 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩probably even better than their actual comeback 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
there are many bops indeed! some prereleases i like more than the actual comeback (e.g. i like Poppy more than Teddy Bear) :wow:

i don't like pre releases and i don't think they are beneficial for the artist.
If the prerelease is good, the hype for the actual comeback will be high and then if the actual song isn't as good then it's a disappointment
if it's bad people won't want to check the title later

also a lot of times, kpop fans pour everything out for the prerelease and then in the actual comeback the title song doesn't do as well cause the fans don't have money left
yep, the fans will pour out money by preordering the album in advance

Top Bottom