What do you think is the ideal number of members for a group?

Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭4,254
Do you prefer small (4 members or fewer), medium, or large groups (8 members and up)? Even or odd numbers?

I prefer medium-sized groups, so between 5 and 7 members. Among even and odd numbers, I find odd numbers preferable because a group with an odd number of members has a center during performances and photoshoots.

Lately, newly debuted groups usually fall into the small or medium range. This makes sense for smaller or medium-sized companies, as debuting a large group can be risky and costly. It may take years for moderately successful groups to break even. However, a larger group has the advantage of potentially having more stan attractors who can help gather a fanbase. Globally, the international audience seems to favor smaller groups. I like medium-sized groups because they tend to show more group dynamics and variety in content than smaller ones, without being as overwhelming as larger groups.

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭529,700
Medium is perfect overrall, fans and public, and I like odd numbers so 5 or 7 at least. And looking at the popular GGs out there, they are all between 4 and 7 members. With those numbers it's easier to identify the members.

Large can fit if you are into K-pop and you don't mind knowing up to 12-24 members, like I do with tripleS.

Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Blog Lead Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭495,509
odd numbers. Usually 4, 5 & 7 for small to mid-sized groups.
For larger groups, probably 11 members or 48G style with an exponential number of members divided into several different teams.
I like the idea of being able to organize the choreography so that there's a distinct center position.

RussianRoulette

Taemin’s Wife Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,807,300
Pronouns
She/Her
I agree with you, I also prefer odd numbered groups because they can have a center (6 member groups always have the oddest formations...) and I also prefer 5-7 members.

I think the highest number of members there should be in a group is 9 because you can have one member in each assigned position (main lead and sub vocalist, main lead and sub dancer, and main lead and sub rapper).

It's really hard to pull of groups with more numbers than 9 cause by that point fans fight over line distribution.

hatmixx

Ain't Nobody Fifth Place HoE VIP+ Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭15,850
Pronouns
No Sana No Life
I'd agree with most above. 5-7. Honestly, people just get lost in larger groups and it's kinda impossible to stan. Add to the fact that even in 5-7 you will have filler members still. It's even worse when you try to make an entire football team worth of members.

choively

Sanake slave Seventh Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,967,292
Pronouns
Nevies Nevies
5-8 is enough. 4 or lower is to less. above 8 I wont be able to... yk :sweat:

Bchip

ᴀ ʜ ɢ ᴀ s ᴇ Events VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭383,600
Pronouns
He/Him
5 or 7 is perfect imo.
I'm not really a fan of groups with even numbers because one member always ends up isolated in the background.

Chiharu

The Worst Girl in the World Events VIP+ Tenth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,292,882
Odd number groups are best. imo, 7 is the ideal number, but 9 is also good. 5 is also a nice, middle ground

Wensuelrene

Fever Season Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭647,570
Eh, I have no preference really. I guess I would like AT LEAST 5. The only groups I ever stanned are Red Velvet with 5 members and GFriend with 6 members. Viviz is 3 of course but I'm fine with that since it was 3 GFriend members coming together to continue their music. If it was a brand new group, I probably would think that was a bit small for my tastes.

I still like larger groups though, so I don't really have a limit. I've causally followed groups with as many as 9 members and I had no issue with them. Right now I'm really into a T-Pop group and they have 12 members, so I feel like I could really follow a group with any number tbh. I even have followed some AKB48 and sister groups before and they have 100's of people in there. I don't know all of the members, but I still think the concept is cool.

So I guess my ideal is a minimum of 5-6, but no maximum.

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,865,175
4 to 6 for most groups. If large not more than 9 to 12. Large groups tend to have awful line distribution though.
i noticed most say 5 or 7 but i also feel 4 or 6 is the perfect number for a group, if it's a band i don't like it if they are more than 4 (i can accept 3 in some cases) in an idol group most of my favorite ones are 6 member line ups

sooat

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭133,800
Pronouns
She/Her
5 is a perfect number for me
I used to like 7 too but now not so much

nuclear

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,750
I agree, 5 or 6 (maybe at most 7) would be best, so that they all can hopefully have enough lines and screentime. Imo the only great idea for a big group was jaden jeong's Loona: introducing each member with a single and having distinctive subunits so that we can get a distinctive feel from each of them, wwhile having a consistent aesthetic and recurring symbols and imagery, having some kind of overarching story tying them...

Top Bottom