⚡🎵 STEP OUT! The Official Stray Kids Thread | #S-CLASS🎵⚡

SJK

Stan Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭11,410
I did something unprecedented (for me) this comeback, and didn't listen to any of the teasers. The folks in the discord already know this, but it was so I wouldn't have any preconceived notions or judgements going into the full songs. I wanted to see what it was like to go into a comeback completely unknowing and unbiased, and it was actually really refreshing. :D It was also damned tempting of course, but I stuck it out, and for that reason, I can give a more cohesive and and comprehensive review. In the past, it was always like I was just rambling about my leftover impressions of the song after being exposed to the spoiler snippet. Now I can actually evaluate the songs for what they are, wholly, as I should.

1. Road Not Taken - Ominous horns, spacey synths, ambient effects, anticipatory beats, all the perfect ingredients for a hype intro. And the topline is beautiful, wtf!!! If you're familiar with my past reviews, you know I'm always tough on the kids for their topline melodies, which tend to be a mixed bag for me. I love some and find others lacking, but there is nothing lacking about this song's topline, no way. Jisung and Seungmin came soaring in with a vengeance, and I love the rise and fall of their lines. Much healthier belting than what they've done in the past, thank goodness, and their voices are stronger and more confident as well, so that certainly helps. The acid drop sets the tone of the album perfectly. I want the full song, why did they cut it down to an intro! If they knew they weren't going to use it as a title track, it might as well be a full album track. They already had all the material. 8/10

2. Side Effects - Pitch-bent pianos are one of my favorite things, so this started off perfectly for me. The generally minor feel definitely called for more ominous horns, and I didn't have to wait long to get them. :LOL: The true star of the song is the percussion, though, lord jesus. I'm not a percussion expert and can't give the bass line all the correctly-termed praise it deserves, but just know it is a rhythm FEAST. The drums are on, the acid beats are off, then we get double during Jisung and Changbin's verses, and half-time during Woojin's verse, my personal favorite. Gawd, what a soup. I criticized My Pace for changing tempos too quickly (an earattack thing tbh), but this is the kind of genre where I expect and welcome all the left turns. I know it isn't for everyone, certainly not the wide majority of Kpop fans who are only ever exposed to music with very conventional structures, but I love it. 8/10

3. TMT - This sounds like a GOT7 song, right down to the samples of beats and bell-like accents. And that's fascinating to me, considering it's by TIME and Kang Uk Jin, two YG producers. :cool: I had to make sure I wasn't listening to Spinning Top. And well, I've been an Ahgase for 5+ years, so it's no surprise that I like it objectively. It's safe and pleasant, and the pre-chorus melody is great. But after the more daring first two tracks, it feels rather anti-climactic. 7/10

Full disclaimer, I am a huge fan of acid-D&B-jungle-house-trance-techno, and I'm so happy the kids went that direction this year. ? I know I'm in the minority when I say that, but I think this is a perfect evolution for them and very much in line with what I hoped their musical trajectory would look like. As far back as 3RACHA's Horizon mixtape, I got the sense that they would explore a lot of darker, more dissonant electronic genres and fusions, and they certainly have. I can now hold a candle of hope for things like dream trance (my personal favorite), chillstep, grime, or nu jazz, sounds that I NEVER thought I could turn to Kpop idols for. Hats off. (y)

daicakes

big lesbian Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭12,275
73f6yt.png

source

seeing the boys names in every single song makes me so proud ;; omg

Chuuya

Trainee Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭37,765

Btw, I watched the Vlive and I loved it ?
Fluffiness overload ~

-

Last edited:

Chuuya

Trainee Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭37,765

-
Some random and cute Felix's replies from the Q&A!
He's so sweet ❤

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SJK
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭139,820
So just finished listening to the mv and album and its so good! I love how different all their title tracks are and this new progression in music style for the current trilogy. Sucks that RNT is so short but it sets up for Side Effects nicely. These songs would have been great additions for their concert but I'm sure they will put them in the setlist the next time they come to the US. And rip the stays at music shows since SKZ are continuing the rap fanchant tradition. :ROFLMAO:
the only thing about the songs I didnt really like is the flow of Changbins rap, it felt like too much comoared to Jisungs verse but I like it the more I listen to it. On a different note I am really getting tired of people saying stray kids shoyld conform to public friendly music so that they chart. Sorry for kind of ranting lol.

Chuuya

Trainee Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭37,765

Last edited:
Top Bottom