2017 Kpop GGs: Are they still here?

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
This is a follow-up thread to 2020, 2019 and 2018.

Here we go; one year further back in time: 2017 😃

I’m interested to see if the amount of groups debuting is slowly decreasing the further back we go or not. This is around the time that Kpop truly started to explode, so I wonder how that affects things.

As always, if you have any information, please share. I do some research, but I don’t spend hours on each group or anything, so I might have missed things.

As in threads about other years, I will only add 1 MV if it’s from 2020.

Bonusbaby

Name is a strange, I think. A member left in 2018. I checked their Youtube channel, and they hadn’t done anything with it up until recently, when one of the members posted a video with an advertisement for a product. Perhaps she is still officially signed on and doing gigs like that? Don’t see activity otherwise.

Dreamcatcher

They seem almost universally beloved amongst Kpop fans. Has anyone ever even said anything bad about them? Their MVs have nice storylines and 2020 was no exception. Their selling power is also no joke.

Pit A Pat

Their debuted with a digital single and already disbanded in 2017.

H.U.B.

They went through member changes and then had a come back in late 2018. That’s the last thing I see. Too bad that not much is happening. They are talented and have interesting visuals too. Might be lack of money.

Hint

They had debuted before with a different name and lineup and 2017 was their redebut under Hint. Never heard of them. I assumed they would have disbanded long ago, but loo and behold, they are still working. They were even planning a concert, but it’s postponed due to Covid. It was easy to find performances and even a line distribution vid for their latest come back, but I somehow had trouble finding their latest MV. Not many views, unfortunately.

Pristin

This group comes up a lot in Kpop circles as a group that had their potential wasted. They disbanded in 2019. Some of the members redebuted as HINAPIA in 2019, but they disbanded in October this year. Seems like it’s due to financial issues as they can’t make money in the pandemic.

Lipbubble

Three members left in 2019 and they disbanded this year. One of the members joined Saturday, but left this group in 2019. Other members are trying their luck with other groups as well.

Marmello

This is a girl band. Yes, you read that right. They sadly disbanded in 2019.

Elris

They added two members and had a come back this year.

S.E.T.

Debuted with a digital single, but nothing seemed to have happened since 2017.

G.Reyish

There hadn’t been activity on their youtube channel for a while, but they did just leave a Christmas message, so I guess they are still together. Not sure if they’re saying anything about upcoming plans as it’s in Korean.

Girls Next Door

This group is different from the rest as it was a temporary group, consisting of members from different girl groups. They acted together in a drama; “Let’s Only Walk The Flower Road”

Limesoda

They disbanded earlier in 2020. There were issues between the company and members as well.

Favorite

They had a Korean digital single in 2020. They aimed at the Japanese market before as well, so perhaps they will still try to find more success

P.O.P.

They probably disbanded. Haven’t been active since 2008.

Apple.B.

They only had their debut. Two members left and the other three redebuted as 3YE, which is still active.

Weki Meki

Finally another one that actually still came back. They are quite well-known amongst Kpop fans. I don’t know very much about them, but like this song. Read their sales were quite low this year, unfortunately.

S2

They weren’t active for much longer after 2017 and probably disbanded.

S.I.S.

I never heard of this group, but apparently they are still active, though one member is on hiatus due to health reasons. Some of you might know I always feel for groups with little MVs, so why don’t you give them a stream? :)

Good Day

This is a bit of a strange one. There were ten members, but now five of these redebuted with Cignature and four with Redsquare, so it’s safe to say this group is no more.

Hash Tag

I’m quite fond of groups with names like this. They came backvity once in 2019, but I don’t see any activity on their Youtube channel.

Gate9

This group was later known as Geegu, but they disbanded in 2020.

Abry

Both members of this duo left. Not sure if they plan to have other idols take up the name, but this was probably the end for the group.

Oh My Jewel

They didn’t last very long. After a few months, the members all left the company.

Hey Girls

They used to be known as Black Queen and redebuted as Hey Girls in 2017. There have been changes in the line-up, but a new member was added in December 2020, so they are presumably still planning things.

Blah Blah

That name is just a no to me. They didn’t have the promised come back and can be presumed to have disbanded.

Yellow Bee

Their disbandment in 2020 was highly problematic. I give you a link:

https://www.soompi.com/article/1417...ris-accusations-of-sexual-harassment-by-staff

Busters

There have been members changes and more of those are planned. They are still adding members, so looks like they will still do more in the future.

1NB

They disbanded only a few months after debuting.

🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

So, there were lots of groups debuting this year. Many of these barely did anything more than debut. There's a clear drop in groups that are still active compared to groups in later years, which is logical of course. Still don't see the point of training and debuting groups, as a company, if you're not willing to at least invest in a MV.
I do find it nice to see that quite a few members of short-lasting groups are now members of other groups.

While doing these, it’s also interesting to learn more about obscure groups, some of which have unique stories.

It’s also interesting to see groups that do still exist and what they are up to now.

So, yes, there are some interesting groups debuting in 2017, but none of those are top 5 girl groups yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if Dreamcatcher will continue its massive growth, but apart from them, 2017 seems to have been a year with few girl groups debuting that have potential to grow very big.

Last edited:

Polaris_Tae

🚀🚩 Blog Lead Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭463,759
The G-reyish announcement was for an ONTACT Live iirc
Of these groups, I only really have interest in Dreamcatcher. It's pretty sad to see so many groups disband or go on hiatus due to lack of public interest (among other things) though

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭475,950
Nice job ! I'll try to add more informations and some thoughts :

LOONA : Didn't they debuted in 2018 as a full group ?

H.U.B : I only heard of that group because of Rui, a Japanese member who went on MIXNINE

Pristin : The wasted potential, as the fandom was loyal and dedicated. Where are all 10 members now ?
Nayoung is in another label as a model and maybe an actress, she's doing vlives sometimes on the company's account.
Kyulkyung/Jieqiong is now having her own career in China, as for her lawsuit against Pledis no idea where the issue is currently.
Sungyeon is still at Pledis but as a songwriter and composer. She wronte and composed fromis_9's song Mulgogi for their last album.
Xiyeon/Siyeon, you can follow her on her IG account, she had a role in a webdrama last year and appeared in some videos.
Eunwoo, she has her own IG account but nothing else about what she's doing. Same for Yaebin, Minkyeung and Gyeongwon.
Yehana also stayed at Pledis but she completely disappeared, even from SNS
Kyla, I believe she's still in California, LA. After some "drama/scandal" she decided to step off from Twitter. She also released a digital album last year.

Marmello : I followed them back in the days and I even got to see them in a concert. Sadly as a rock band AND being from a small label it's hard to get some attention in Korea. I think you can find the members on IG. I'm only following Gaeun, the drummer, on IG and on her YT account.

P.O.P is over, the members are only waiting the end of their contract to finally be free because it cost too much to break it. Catch You is a cute and catchy song if you want to get a listen.

S.I.S : In 2017 they were 6 members. Two left in 2019, J.Sun left the label and became "DJ ELLIA". You can find her YT account, she made her solo debut not long ago. Dal went on hiatus but we won't see her again I think. Then last year Minzy (on the far left in the MV thumbnail, hidden) also went on hiatus and I don't think we'll see her again. My guess is that breaking the contract is too expensive so they rather go in hiatus. In J.Sun's case her contract expired, she probably signed earlier. Now they are only promoting as 3 members.

Good Day : You said everything about them. The last member who did not redebut, Heejin, the leader, got married last year.

Hashtag : One debut in 2017, one comeback in 2019 and that's all. They are still active since they've done some vlives last month.

Busters : A whole mess with a lineup who kept changing, maybe because of the concept for kids ? Anyway they started with 5 members in 2017, one left in 2019 (Minji), replaced by another member (Yeseo), but after Pinky Promise their leader Minji left. In 2020 Jisoo, Chaeyeon, Yeseo and Hyungseo left. Every original members left at this point, leaving only the 3 new members Takahashi, Jieun and Minji (same name but different person). They will have a collab with MyDoll Ent (Pink Fantasy's label) soon.
In 2019 they've done a Brasil tour (4 dates) and one date in Uruguay.

G-reyish : I lost sight of them until recently with some vlives and that online live they will do soon.

Favorite : They are still active, posting some pics and having some vlives. Their last comeback was one year ago.

So from all this list the one who stood out are Dreamcatcher and Weki Meki. And Elris in a lesser extend. If Dreamcatcher is doing quite okay and still searching for the domestic success and recognition, Weki Meki and Elris are struggling more even if it isn't comparable to smaller/nugu groups in the list.

frostpuddle

Global Star Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭508,513
Dreamcatcher

They seem almost universally beloved amongst Kpop fans. Has anyone ever even said anything bad about them?
Yes, they've been criticized for their name. Some choose not to support them because of it.

H.U.B
Rui queen of running :pepesanta:

Their agency seems to be mainly promoting Rui only. Hyosun got a little i-fan hype during The Unit (a survival show for unsuccessful idols). Grazy Grace did an interview with her where Hyosun gave a tour of their agency office and talked about life as an idol. It has English sub, it's quite interesting

Marmello
I can't find the original video where Yuna did an electric guitar cover of Dreamcatcher's Good Night :noooo:
Their leader & keyboardist Doeun left in 2018. The group didn't last long after that.

S.E.T
Disbanded after The Unit. TaeE re-debut as Jian in LunarSolar. According to Korean Namu wiki, SoonE is working as a fitness trainer and EunE as a dancer after disbandment.

Favorite
Their 2019 release Loca (produced by Ollounder, one of Dreamcatcher's regular producers) did quite well. They tried to keep the momentum in 2020 with Lie (this time with more DC producers), but unfortunately that song isn't as good as Loca, so they dropped off the radar. And pandemic makes everything worse for nugu agencies... Their main vocalist Ara has so much potential, and still very young. I hope they will have a comeback in 2021 :sanapray:

P.O.P
Their debut album was produced by Youngbae, and it had one of my favourite album intro, they did synthwave before it became trendy in 2020. They never had a comeback :(

Loona
Officially debuted in 2018. You listed them in your 2018 thread.

Gate9
Geegu, another nugu gg with good vocals. Watch their cover of Ailee's Heaven. Their member Taeha's Taera's audition video for V-1 singing competition is one of my favourites

Sad

Last edited:

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
addition:
Busters is having joint unctact concert today (1/10) with some members of PinkFantasy~

Thanks for the info. You seem to be an encyclopedia of girl groups :D

The G-reyish announcement was for an ONTACT Live iirc
Of these groups, I only really have interest in Dreamcatcher. It's pretty sad to see so many groups disband or go on hiatus due to lack of public interest (among other things) though
Yes, I agree. There were some I'd never heard of and the only one of these I have bought an album of is indeed Dreamcatcher.
When looking for these groups, I am surprised at how crazy some things have been for some idols, while others just quietly seem to disband without even making an announcement of it.

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
Nice job ! I'll try to add more informations and some thoughts :

LOONA : Didn't they debuted in 2018 as a full group ?

H.U.B : I only heard of that group because of Rui, a Japanese member who went on MIXNINE

Pristin : The wasted potential, as the fandom was loyal and dedicated. Where are all 10 members now ?
Nayoung is in another label as a model and maybe an actress, she's doing vlives sometimes on the company's account.
Kyulkyung/Jieqiong is now having her own career in China, as for her lawsuit against Pledis no idea where the issue is currently.
Sungyeon is still at Pledis but as a songwriter and composer. She wronte and composed fromis_9's song Mulgogi for their last album.
Xiyeon/Siyeon, you can follow her on her IG account, she had a role in a webdrama last year and appeared in some videos.
Eunwoo, she has her own IG account but nothing else about what she's doing. Same for Yaebin, Minkyeung and Gyeongwon.
Yehana also stayed at Pledis but she completely disappeared, even from SNS
Kyla, I believe she's still in California, LA. After some "drama/scandal" she decided to step off from Twitter. She also released a digital album last year.

Marmello : I followed them back in the days and I even got to see them in a concert. Sadly as a rock band AND being from a small label it's hard to get some attention in Korea. I think you can find the members on IG. I'm only following Gaeun, the drummer, on IG and on her YT account.

P.O.P is over, the members are only waiting the end of their contract to finally be free because it cost too much to break it. Catch You is a cute and catchy song if you want to get a listen.

S.I.S : In 2017 they were 6 members. Two left in 2019, J.Sun left the label and became "DJ ELLIA". You can find her YT account, she made her solo debut not long ago. Dal went on hiatus but we won't see her again I think. Then last year Minzy (on the far left in the MV thumbnail, hidden) also went on hiatus and I don't think we'll see her again. My guess is that breaking the contract is too expensive so they rather go in hiatus. In J.Sun's case her contract expired, she probably signed earlier. Now they are only promoting as 3 members.

Good Day : You said everything about them. The last member who did not redebut, Heejin, the leader, got married last year.

Hashtag : One debut in 2017, one comeback in 2019 and that's all. They are still active since they've done some vlives last month.

Busters : A whole mess with a lineup who kept changing, maybe because of the concept for kids ? Anyway they started with 5 members in 2017, one left in 2019 (Minji), replaced by another member (Yeseo), but after Pinky Promise their leader Minji left. In 2020 Jisoo, Chaeyeon, Yeseo and Hyungseo left. Every original members left at this point, leaving only the 3 new members Takahashi, Jieun and Minji (same name but different person). They will have a collab with MyDoll Ent (Pink Fantasy's label) soon.

G-reyish : I lost sight of them until recently with some vlives and that online live they will do soon.

Favorite : They are still active, posting some pics and having some vlives. Their last comeback was one year ago.

So from all this list the one who stood out are Dreamcatcher and Weki Meki. And Elris in a lesser extend. If Dreamcatcher is doing quite okay and still searching for the domestic success and recognition, Weki Meki and Elris are struggling more even if it isn't comparable to smaller/nugu groups in the list.
Thanks for the response. That was very interesting to read :)

Loona: yes, I'm dumb. My only defense is that it was very late when I posted this in Europe:sleep: I removed them.
H.U.B.: I liked their song Finale, but that was a while ago and was disappointed they didn't really follow up on that.
Busters: them having a tour abroad shows how much nugu companies must have struggled during a pandemic. Before Covid, they could focus on countries where there seemed to be interest anywhere in the world and make some money there. That option was gone. And while the bigger groups still made money from merch, albums etc, they can rely on them much less.

I find it impressive how much you and some other users know about nugu groups. For me, these threads are definitely also a way of learning more, though I know and follow some of them.

Last edited:

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
Yes, they've been criticized for their name. Some choose not to support them because of it.

H.U.B
Rui queen of running :pepesanta:

Their agency seems to be mainly promoting Rui only. Hyosun got a little i-fan hype during The Unit (a survival show for unsuccessful idols). Grazy Grace did an interview with her where Hyosun gave a tour of their agency office and talked about life as an idol. It has English sub, it's quite interesting

Marmello
I can't find the original video where Yuna did an electric guitar cover of Dreamcatcher's Good Night :noooo:
Their leader & keyboardist Doeun left in 2018. The group didn't last long after that.

S.E.T
Disbanded after The Unit. TaeE re-debut as Jian in LunarSolar. According to Korean Namu wiki, SoonE is working as a fitness trainer and EunE as a dancer after disbandment.

Favorite
Their 2019 release Loca (produced by Ollounder, one of Dreamcatcher's regular producers) did quite well. They tried to keep the momentum in 2020 with Lie (this time with more DC producers), but unfortunately that song isn't as good as Loca, so they dropped off the radar. And pandemic makes everything worse for nugu agencies... Their main vocalist Ara has so much potential, and still very young. I hope they will have a comeback in 2021 :sanapray:

P.O.P
Their debut album was produced by Youngbae, and it had one of my favourite album intro, they did synthwave before it became trendy in 2020. They never had a comeback :(

Loona
Officially debuted in 2018. You listed them in your 2018 thread.

Gate9
Geegu, another nugu gg with good vocals. Watch their cover of Ailee's Heaven. Their member Taeha's audition video for V-1 singing competition is one of my favourites

Sad

And another great post with lots of info and fun to read. Thank you.

That race wasn't even close. Hope to see Rui get deserved success.
I will check out what you linked from Gate9.

Really want another girl band :)

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
Pristin is such an unfortunate case. What a waste.

Dreamcatcher is my favourite group on this list. I remember when most of the members debuted as MINX in 2014

That's a lot of Minjis in one group

Top Bottom