REVIEW Album Review: Even of Day - "The Book of Us: Gluon - Nothing Can Tear Us Apart"

lex.

just an earth bound misfit
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭395,700
ALBUM REVIEW: DAY6 (EVEN OF DAY) – “THE BOOK OF US: GLUON - NOTHING CAN TEAR US APART”
Written by: lex.
day6-2.png

After a few rumours of the first Day6 subunit being spread around throughout the end of July and the beginning of August, it was finally announced on August 10th, 2020 that Day6 would, in fact, be debuting a subunit called Even of Day. The subunit features three Day6 members: Dowoon, Wonpil, and Young K. Additionally, Day6's representative characters known as DENIMALZ were said to be making an appearance. This was proven to be correct when the tracklist was released to tease the upcoming mini-album, showing "DENIMALZ 3" on multiple tracks. Even of Day made their official debut on August 31st, 2020 with a mini-album titled "The Book of Us: Gluon - Nothing Can Tear Us Apart". The subunit album features a total of 7 songs, with 3 being full length while the other 4 make up an intro, outro, and two interludes, giving it a unique and creative setup that makes it even more satisfying to listen to.

'Landing -Intro- (with DENIMALZ 3)'

The Even of Day subunit begins their album with an intro, 'Landing'. Right from the beginning of the track, it was clear that Even of Day would be exploring a sound different from Day6's with their first release, and this is by absolutely no means a bad thing! In the opening of 'Landing', it sounds as if a spaceship is, well, landing, upon an undiscovered world. After it seems as though the ship lands, you hear the amazed voice of Ke, the fox who is representative of member Young K, as well as Pil and Don, the DENIMALZ characters representative of Wonpil and Dowoon. From there, the intro goes into full swing with an upbeat sound that, in my opinion, could not fit the concept of exploring an unknown, sci-fi-esque land more perfectly! Paired with heavenly vocals of the actual members saying the line "Adventure // Starting now", I could not feel more hyped to hear the rest of the album and find out more about what adventure Even of Day and the DENIMALZ are going on!
9/10

'Landed'

The first full-length track, 'Landed', flows perfectly from the preceding intro. The song's lyrics, written by Young K suits its title. It portrays the first-person perspective of someone feeling lost and afraid, but eventually feeling as though they have found comfort and somewhere they can always return to. This is perfectly captured with the second half of the chorus, sung by Wonpil "In the days that I used to just wander without an answer // I couldn't find an answer anywhere // But now, this feeling that you are giving me // This might be love" The feeling of being lost, finding someone or something that gives you direction, and furthermore not wanting to lose that one thing, is a relatable concept for a song. I enjoyed that, even though it could be classified as a love song, the lyrics do acknowledge the fears that come with losing someone as well as the confusion that comes with trying to even figure out whether you are in love or not in the first place. Love isn't perfect, and this theme established here in the first full-length track will become further supported in the following interlude as well as throughout the rest of the album. Musically, I really enjoyed the emphasis on the drums, giving Even of Day's drummer Dowoon a chance to shine in a genre that heavy percussion may not be expected in. 'Landed' is definitely a whole bop and is yet another example of Young K having godly skills in songwriting and composition.
9/10

EgRhng7UMAAIa4j.webp

'Ocean -Interlude 1- (with DENIMALZ 3)'

The first interlude, 'Ocean', carries a relaxed and carefree sort of tone, but when paired with the lyrics, displays a meaning that almost contradicts the song's sound. Because of its simply genius way of capturing the realistic side of being in love, I absolutely fell in love with this track. To open the song, the bunny DENIMALZ character known as Pil (representative of Wonpil) exclaims, "What a beautiful day" and as the instrumental comes in, you can hear the relaxing sound of waves crashing on a beach in the background. As the song goes on, you begin to hear what sounds like rain, and Ke yells "Hey! Hurry up!". Eventually, crashes of lightning and thunder in the background come by more often, with the track ending on a more prominent thunder sound and an almost disappointed "Noooo!" from the DENIMALZ. The lyrics, repeated twice in the interlude, say "Always changing // Sometimes hurting // Unexpected feeling // That's love". As described in the lyrics, like the instrumental with the sudden and unexpected shift from a calm ocean to a stormy one, the common theme throughout the album that love is not something that comes without hardships is further established. I quite enjoy this theme, as its realistic — unlike most love songs that typically only ever portray the positive feelings that come with love and relationships. When in reality, a relationship will never truly be perfect and happy all the time. Every relationship contains hardships, whether it be doubt, fear, confusion, or misunderstandings. I feel that this track — as well as others on the album — without painting love in a completely negative light, perfectly displays that aspect through the relaxed vocals and whistling, but a storm brewing in the background, I feel 'Ocean' is a flawless representation of love being both a wonderful feeling as well as a strong one that contains challenges you must be willing to recognize and overcome in order to enjoy the true feeling of love to its fullest.
10/10

'Where the sea sleeps'

'Where the sea sleeps' is the title track of 'The Book of Us: Gluon', and is a strong one to boot! With an adorable animated music video, heavenly vocals and harmonies from both Wonpil and Young K, and once again beautifully written lyrics, what more could you ask for in a title? Although it is a ballad, which is a genre that isn't in the realm of a lot of people's tastes, I still strongly suggest giving it a listen before deciding you dislike it, as it isn't like a typical ballad in my opinion. I personally enjoy ballads a lot, and this is no exception. I always really find it admirable when a group is able to successfully release a ballad as the title track, and I feel that Even of Day really hit the bullseye when it came to the perfect ballad title to appeal to both those who love ballads and those who typically may not. 'Where the sea sleeps' has great usage of synths and creates a dreamlike sort of feel to the song. This is a song that I would definitely recommend playing to help you relax, calm down, or even to help you sleep. I find the vocals extremely comforting and pleasing to listen to, and 'Where the sea sleeps' has definitely become a go-to song for me when I feel a bit too stressed. Its lyrics discuss continuing to hold onto someone you love throughout times of trouble and doubt by hoping to reach a peaceful point in time together, with the peaceful point being referenced as, well, 'Where the sea sleeps'. Even alluding back to the album's main catchphrase "Nothing Can Tear Us Apart", support of this theme is provided through the meaning of this song. And of course, I must discuss the music video, as it is absolutely adorable. I loved the animation style and the little references to Day6's previous release 'The Book of Us: The Demon'. Additionally, I found it quite endearing that throughout the video, DENIMALZ and Even of Day featured Sungjin and Jae, not wanting them to be forgotten even though it is a subunit of only three of the Day6 members.
10/10

_3.jpeg

'Forest -Interlude 2- (with DENIMALZ 3)'

The second interlude featured opens with the DENIMALZ describing a beautiful place. The instrumental that follows is honestly quite catchy with almost a sort of game-like sound (for some reason on my first listen I was reminded of Mario Kart, I really don't know why), but the part of this interlude that keeps me wanting to loop it is when the vocals of the actual Even of Day members come in. The harmonisation is soft and with an almost euphoric feeling, the lines "Oh now I know // I'll give my all // That's what I want // Cause I'm in love" are delivered and before you know it, 'Forest' has come to its almost too soon conclusion, in which you hear Ke, the fox DENIMALZ character — representing member Young K — say "Let's go back to the ship!" Although the full-length tracks on this album are simply amazing, I feel that the interludes, as well as the intro and outro, are just as good and I want even more of them! All are such good songs to put on repeat, and never seem to get boring despite their short length. The interludes also really assist in allowing the full-length tracks to flawlessly flow together by connecting the album together as a whole in a satisfying way. Although I likely wouldn't loop this song and give it my full attention, 'Forest' is definitely going to be on loop for me many times in the future while I work since I find it fairly relaxing to listen to in the background.
8.5/10

'Thanks to'

'Thanks to' is such a sweet and wholesome track with lyrics describing undying thanks and gratefulness towards someone for accepting them despite flaws and insecurities, as well as providing comfort. This song seemingly wraps up the process of figuring out what exactly love is, which began with the first full-length song, 'Landed', proof of this being found in the lyrics "The one who showed me love // Without words // The one who told me // That this is love // I thank you". Although this is most likely thought of in a romantic aspect, the gratitude expressed through this song could really be applied to any loved one. Young K and Wonpil's vocals harmonizing together yet again in this track is pure heaven. Personally, a good harmony brings about bonus points from me for a track, and 'Thanks to' surely cannot be excluded from that. The one thing I will admit is missing from this track though, is a bridge with a little bit more power behind it, as it really just simmered down to a final chorus towards the end. Although I really enjoyed the song, from its chorus, lyrics, to the individual verses and overall meaning of the song, I feel that something was missing. It just needed a more hooking part to keep me wanting to loop it. Nevertheless, 'Thanks to' is still a solid song that's worth a listen, although I personally would not put it on repeat as long as I would some of the other tracks on the album.
7.5/10

'To be continued -Outro- (Sung by DENIMALZ 3)'

This outro is perhaps my favourite track off of 'The Book of Us: Gluon', despite it being short at only a minute and seventeen seconds long. When the tracklist was first released, I was quite intrigued by the idea that DENIMALZ would be featuring in the album. Upon noticing the entire outro was to be done by them, I had wondered just what it would sound like. Whatever I had been expecting, 'To be continued' fully exceeds those expectations. Although it might not be some people's style, the outro is still a strong conclusion to a strong subunit debut album. With high energy, this track is a bit of a shock after the more relaxed nature of 'Thanks to' but a pleasant shock at that. The lyrics, fully in English, discuss a place known as the "Arcane Land". The DENIMALZ illustrate it as a wonderland-esque region that is inaccessible without believing and putting all fears or insecurities you may have aside in order to get there. Set to a catchy and upbeat tune, 'To be continued' is a definite ear-worm. It'll have you wanting to stay tuned with Day6, Even of Day, and the DENIMALZ to discover what this mysterious "Arcane Land" that has been hinted at throughout 'The Book of Us: Gluon' is and what it has to offer. Fortunately, we should learn more in the comeback alluded by the outro's title as well as the lines "On our next episode" and "So come along // And put your fear aside // It's gonna be a freakin' wicked ride". Until then, I'll definitely continue to loop this for hours on end, and attempt to finish my DENIMALZ plushie collection...
10/10

uMoFVg9.jpeg

To draw this review to a close, I can confidently say that the Even of Day subunit had a solid debut. The songs that stood out to me the most were 'Ocean - Interlude 1 -', 'Where the sea sleeps', and 'To be continued - Outro -'. The album has been on repeat for me since it came out, and I'm sure it will stay that way for a long time. The interludes, intro, and outro were fantastic in their ability to flawlessly transition from song to song, and assist in establishing the main themes of the album, which are expanded upon in the full-length tracks. Overall, I highly recommend giving this album a listen, and I can't wait to see what Day6, Even of Day, and the DENIMALZ have in store for us next!

Artistic Creativity: 10/10
Vocal Quality: 9/10
Music: 9.1/10

9.4/10

PROOFREAD BY: @Polaris_Tae
GRAPHICS BY: @AKID❀KI

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragon of the West

Iroh VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭998,250
Nearly 6 weeks later and both Landed & To Be Continued are still on my playlist.

Great job on your first review lex! :wow:

Top Bottom