Annual Touring: Is it Sustainable?

SageWren

The Genre is BTS Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭553,095
2019 was a big year for Kpop in many ways, one of them being how many groups did World Tours that had stops in the US. This was great for obvious reasons, many people who had never had the chance to see their faves live now had that chance, ESPECIALLY girl group stans since so many of them finally held concerts outside of Asia.

Tours are a great way to make money, and a successful one is often a good sign of a groups success. BUT, they also cost alot of money due to transportation, venue/stage sets, and staffing, and if the venues are small (holding only a few thousand people) is the turnover amount big enough to warrant another tour?

Sooo, is it sustainable for groups to do annual touring? Is it only sustainable for big groups like BTS, Twice, SVT, etc who make alot of profit already off of sales and charting? Do you think it can be harmful to a group from a smaller company due to how much it costs to hold an overseas concert compared to how much money they actually make?

Personally; I think this year will show who had a "successful" tour in 2019, based on if they tour again this year and the size difference in their venues.

OutroTearTheFirst

Oh, I'm sorry, but nobody does evil the way I do! Fourth Place HoE
Reaction score
On a picnic with gasppepe eating nugget peepo
Plus Coins
⨭18,150
Pronouns
She/Her
The way I misread and thought the title said “Animal Touring” :Slime: I think it would depend on what their profits are tbh. I’m not sure how much money you make with small venues and reasonably priced tickets. With touring comes selling overpriced merch that fans will eat up which will bring in some cash.

denizen mars

Lesbian Potato Goddess
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,250
Well, they're undoubtely doing it because they've found it tends to make them a profit. I think we can assume they do market research of some kind before setting out. I worry about the mental and physical strain it puts on members and staff, though, but if they just stayed in Korea they'd be spending that time playing any festival that would have them, anyway.

SageWren

The Genre is BTS Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭553,095
Well, they're undoubtely doing it because they've found it tends to make them a profit. I think we can assume they do market research of some kind before setting out. I worry about the mental and physical strain it puts on members and staff, though, but if they just stayed in Korea they'd be spending that time playing any festival that would have them, anyway.
Mixed with all the intense preparation for comebacks I agree that the health of idols is worrisome. Atleast they get to spend time in other countries instead of the same korean festivals.

Top Bottom