Disney's Mulan (2020) - Teaser Trailer #1

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,420
it gonna be based on the actual lore of mulan so no mushu no singing sadly. im pretty sure they are doing this to be respectful as possible.

the actual lore didn't feature a witch either, though

the closest adaptation to the actual lore would probably be the the 1994 Saga of Mulan movie.

izru_17

^^
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭43,410
I'm glad they're taking a different approach to Mulan. Personally, I don't like when they take beat by beat everything that's in the animation. Like what's the point when the original is right there. I'm excited!!

JNT-LEGGO

5XID♥ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭80,325
I'm sorry does the actress' facial expression ever change? She has the same look in every shot. Even in battle, like emote please.

mochichan

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,670
Sorry...but no Mushu no party

giphy.gif
I bet they'll be no singing either. Looks like a more mature take and I don't think kids are going to want to see this. Flop

China hated Mushu and the original Mulan because they saw it as disrespectful to their legend and culture with all the jokes, or moments like emperor bowing to Mulan. Disney is actually doing well this time opting for a more culturally appropriate version and more serious. Like yall are on Asian forum enjoying Asian culture but want to see a movie that appropriated Asian legends/culture for American appeal lol...

And it's good as a remake to not be a shot for shot remake. Beauty and the beast was a waste of time that you might as well watch the original animation because there're no different

paradise.mp3

HEART BOOM BOOM GIRL YOU KILLING ME Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭58,605
Y’all really want a watered down version of all your favorite characters and songs?

I’m glad there going this route, at least it’s not a rehash of what we already saw

frozentear

Lurker Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,560
How come she's always wearing the same expression? Even during the fighting....
Other than that, it looks good.

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
who's the girl? and seriously no Mushu????

JNT-LEGGO

5XID♥ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭80,325
I'm sorry but kinda getting tired of this. One minute we're criticizing Asian cultures for being too old fashioned close minded and strict, the next minute y'all talking about how we should "respect" this and that every time they're offended by something.

Every time Disney dabbles in a culture that isn't white they're demonized and they have to walk on egg shells to please everybody. The original Mulan was fantasy, just like any other Disney film, of course things are not gonna be accurate.

I'm just sick of this mentality that every non-white Disney film from Aladdin to Mulan to Princess and the Frog is racist, offensive, blah blah blah when y'all know damn well the real problem is "How dare these white people make movies about people of color!" As if there should be a law that forbids them from such.

By the way, if you're watching an animted fantasy film for historical or cultural accuracy you ain't doing it right.

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
Huh? Mulan isn't even trying to hide the fact that she's a girl here?
it might be from the last part where everyone already knows her identity (when the Huns attacked them in the icy mountains)

tokki

Awards Lead
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭641,120
i was a little sad about the lack of songs when i first heard about it but this looks pretty good
the live action remakes have been hit or miss for me (loved cinderella, maleficent and beauty&the beast [am i the only one lmao], didn't much care for aladdin and not that interested in the lion king) but i think i'll end up watching it

Lightning

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭10,825
China hated Mushu and the original Mulan because they saw it as disrespectful to their legend and culture with all the jokes, or moments like emperor bowing to Mulan. Disney is actually doing well this time opting for a more culturally appropriate version and more serious. Like yall are on Asian forum enjoying Asian culture but want to see a movie that appropriated Asian legends/culture for American appeal lol...

And it's good as a remake to not be a shot for shot remake. Beauty and the beast was a waste of time that you might as well watch the original animation because there're no different

I don't really know how you can say an entire country hated the original. I'm sure there are people who liked it, people that didn't and people that are indifferent. It had a troubled build up to it's release which wasn't at a very favourable date either. In the end it was an American Disney movie targeted at kids, most kids would not be thinking about it in political or culture terms. Plenty of those don't do well just because it's hard to appeal to two completely different demographics at the same time.

Also, if you think the first one appropriated Asian culture for American appeal, that's exactly what this is doing. They want it to appeal to American audiences too, it's not just being made for audiences in China lol. Just because they are using Asian actors, actresses and making it serious doesn't change the fact it's a Disney movie using a Chinese story to make money in America and the rest of the world.

On another note, if anyone likes the look of this trailer or people care about being faithful and respecting Chinese culture then they should go and watch the Zhao Wei Mulan movie from 2009, which isn't amazing but is pretty similar in tone to this trailer and is in Mandarin, produced in China, with a Chinese director, writer and cast. That's more appropriate than any American Disney version will be by "appropriation" standards.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,420
I don't really know how you can say an entire country hated the original. I'm sure there are people who liked it, people that didn't and people that are indifferent. It had a troubled build up to it's release which wasn't at a very favourable date either. In the end it was an American Disney movie targeted at kids, most kids would not be thinking about it in political or culture terms. Plenty of those don't do well just because it's hard to appeal to two completely different demographics at the same time.

Also, if you think the first one appropriated Asian culture for American appeal, that's exactly what this is doing. They want it to appeal to American audiences too, it's not just being made for audiences in China lol. Just because they are using Asian actors, actresses and making it serious doesn't change the fact it's a Disney movie using a Chinese story to make money in America and the rest of the world.

On another note, if anyone likes the look of this trailer or people care about being faithful and respecting Chinese culture then they should go and watch the Zhao Wei Mulan movie from 2009, which isn't amazing but is pretty similar in tone to this trailer and is in Mandarin, produced in China, with a Chinese director, writer and cast. That's more appropriate than any American Disney version will be by "appropriation" standards.

There are articles about how the 1998 animated movie flopped in China and how it was severely criticized over there.

Heck, Chinese netizens are even praising the trailer for being more "accurate" to the legend, compared to Western netizens complaining about the lack of Shang and Mushu. https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1004253/disneys-mulan-trailer-wins-early-fans-in-china

Lightning

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭10,825
There are articles about how the 1998 animated movie flopped in China and how it was severely criticized over there.
Heck, Chinese netizens are even praising the trailer for being more "accurate" to the legend, compared to Western netizens complaining about the lack of Shang and Mushu. https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1004253/disneys-mulan-trailer-wins-early-fans-in-china

Yes, I've read that article and as I tried to describe in my earlier post, my issue is with saying "China hated the movie" as if the Chinese audience is a single entity not a group of individuals. It's more a criticism of wording, as I see that happen often when the reality is a lot more nuanced than that.

When it comes to it's box office success, it's not as simple as saying it was due to criticism. Even in the article you used as a source, it points out protectionism as one of the key factors and in my opinion it's the most important.

'Trying to shelter its domestic film industry from foreign competition, the Chinese government first released the animated adventure in late February, just after children had returned to school following Chinese New Year, the biggest holiday of the year. Because of China's lax enforcement of intellectual property rights, many kids had already seen the film on pirated video compact discs anyway.'

It was released after Spring Festival, missing the time when it's biggest target audience of kids was out of school and when families were on their holidays. Most of the criticism comes from older adults and the positive review in the article comes from the 10 year old child who first saw tried to see it via piracy (another key issue)

Whatever cultural differences "Mulan" has exposed, some of the film's universal messages were not lost on the most important viewers: kids.

"I learned to be fearless and just go ahead," said Tang Xiaoyang, a 10-year-old boy who went to see the movie in a theater after a pirated copy he bought turned out to be too blurry.

"I like Mulan," he added, "even though she is a woman."

Which supports my belief that it's target audience wouldn't have cared much about the political or cultural criticism.

Also, I never disputed that this movie is more accurate than the original Disney movie, that's pretty obvious, so was Zhao Wei's version a few years ago...but again that's pleasing a completely different audience and age group than the original Disney cartoon was made for imo.

Last edited:

misaka

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭580
I love this already. Copying the same plot as the 1998 animated movie would be really boring duh. So happy that this one is different. I'll prolly get chills watching this in cinema. Also, the girl she's so pretty and badass.

Top Bottom