Do you prefer a group to have an official center or not?

Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭33,258
Do you prefer to see groups having designated centers during the intro, chorus and/or ending positions? How about in photo shoots? Or do you prefer that the center changes with each comeback?

I prefer that the center changes depending on the concept and vibe that the group is going for. That way each member gets a spotlight and less resentment among solo stans. Though it may not make sense for all the members to take turns being a center as not everyone is fit to be in a center position. Some may not have the confidence nor the stage presence.

Having a fixed center however can be beneficial. For example, Kang Daniel was the center for Wanna One and while the other members were popular, Daniel being at the center position has increased Wanna One's popularity, and he was seen as the face of the group. He just had that charisma and demeanor that drew the general public and the fans. IZ*ONe didn't have one fixed center but there were three members who had their center spots rotated.

Changing the center for each song (bside, title track) during the comeback performances might be a good idea. For the fans of veteran groups, variation can make a comeback more exciting. For the rookie groups, it might be ideal to get more members exposed to the public and hopefully attract more fans. One member gaining significantly more attention can be a problem for stans esp. if their fav member dances on the back and barely gets enough screen time.

UMJI MOODS

엄지는 내 장미 VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭45,678,413
I really don't care for it at all. Everyone should have the spotlight at some point in the performance. This is better for the fans of each member and better for group unity in the long run. Otherwise you end up with "Center and the Rest" groups which there have been a few of. It ultimately messes up the group dynamic and can affect their performances.

Chomiczewska

Hamster First Place HoE Chomi
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭25,151,249
Does anyone outside of solo stans really cares about who's the center? :HidePar: If you asked me I wouldn't be able to tell you which groups have designated centers, 'coz the place someone stands doesn't remotely matter

Bellamy

Be strong, be brave〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭31,437,464
Pronouns
She/Her
I don't care but It shouldn't be necessary to have the center being the center in EVERY photo or video. This idol will feel an even bigger pressure to be perfect and the rest of the team will feel "not good enough" standing in the middle+obsessive fans can be nasty if their bias spot is "stolen".

Bchip

ᴀ ʜ ɢ ᴀ s ᴇ Events VIP+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,904,800
Pronouns
He/Him
I don't really care, but i know that it can bring some familiarity to people who are not avid fans of a group, so i'm not against the idea either.

Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭33,258
iz*one didn't have one? how about wonyoung?
personally i don't really care about it as long every member get their chance to shine & bring more popularity to the group. :judgingyou:
Wonyoung + Sakura, Minju were centers.

It seems that newer groups (4th gen) are less likely to have one fixed member as a center. Agree that changing centers give more members chance to shine :wow:

Top Bottom