"Dragon Ball Super" movie announced, set for 2022 author Akira Toriyama is in charge of screenplay, teases the comeback of "an unexpected character"

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,499,325
toriyama-1024x538.png

t’s the news that Dragon Ball fans have been waiting for! The all-new Dragon Ball Super movie will be hitting Japanese theaters in 2022!

The fact that a new movie is in production isn’t new information – that was a detail shared by Shueisha’s Dragon Ball department head Akio Iyoku in an interview included with the Japanese Blu-ray release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly back in 2019. But now with the addition of the release year, fans are excited to start counting down the months.

Dragon Ball series creator Akira Toriyama even shared a special message with fans to celebrate the news, confirming his involvement with the new film as well!
Making the announcement a little more fun, Toei Animation released the news on May 9 a.k.a Goku Day. Originally a fan holiday, Goku Day was officially recognized by the Japan Anniversary Association in 2015 during the franchise’s 30th anniversary celebrations. Last year, the Dragon Ball series polled fans on which of 30 select Goku outfits was their favorite. The winning choice will get released as a special figure this year.

Dragon Ball Super: Broly, which debuted in Japanese theaters in December 2018, grossed over $124 million worldwide during its theatrical run, including $35 million in the Japanese box office and over $30 million in the United States box office. It’s currently the thirteenth highest grossing anime film of all time worldwide.

Are you hyped for the new Dragon Ball Super movie? What are you hoping the movie will focus on? Share this post and let us know! And stay tuned to Funimation for the latest news on all the amazing anime headed your way, this season and beyond.

Last edited:

Stan BiSH

Global Star Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭6,499,325
Dragon Ball Super: Resurrection C :pandasantacookie:
Cell? Cooler? :wherearethelies: it definitely could happen

for my part i think i would like a movie set on universe 6 since they also Saiyans / Nameks / Humans, could be interesting
The Broly movie was insane, I have hopes for this one as well.
DSB: Broly definitely is the best Dragon ball movie, second i think would be Fusion Reborn (which also features Gogeta, starting to see a pattern here...)

the new version of Broly really is an improvement, i always thought that old Broly hating Goku for crying next to him was very petty
now instead with the new one you get to feel bad for him, he is just a nice dude that got screwed hard by life,
also the fact that he is the only non fused character to match Goku/Vegeta's fusion, i'm hoping he joins the main cast soon

Last edited:

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him

for my part i think i would like a movie set on universe 6 since they also Saiyans / Nameks / Humans, could be interesting
I was thinking Cell since he is the most popular main antagonist after Frieza but maybe that wouldn't be "unexpected". I would like to see Raditz return but it wouldn't work due to the power difference. Maybe they can do something with Uub.

I love DB but the power scaling is so ridiculous that it makes almost all characters redundant and whoever returns would need a crazy power boost.

Ackerman

Everything Everywhere All at Once Administrator
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭14,404,084

DSB: Broly definitely is the best Dragon ball movie, second i think would be Fusion Reborn (which also features Gogeta, starting to see a pattern here...)

the new version of Broly really is an improvement, i always thought that old Broly hating Goku for crying next to him was very petty
now instead with the new one you get to feel bad for him, he is just a nice dude that got screwed hard by life,
also the fact that he is the only non fused character to match Goku/Vegeta's fusion, i'm hoping he joins the main cast soon
Yeah this new Broly has an actual backstory, which is why I'm excited Toriyama is back to work on this new movie.
I was thinking Cell since he is the most popular main antagonist after Frieza but maybe that wouldn't be "unexpected". I would like to see Raditz return but it wouldn't work due to the power difference. Maybe they can do something with Uub.

I love DB but the power scaling is so ridiculous that it makes almost all characters redundant and whoever returns would need a crazy power boost.
There's been a lot of rumors Cell was making a comeback but I agree it wouldn't be that unexpected. I think maybe Goku's father will play a role. In an OVA some years ago he was basically featured as the Super Saiyan of legend due to bs time travel lol, maybe they will make that canon in this movie?

Top Bottom