Halle (Chloe x Halle) to play Ariel in disney’s Live action little mermaid movie

twitzy

ʙᴀᴅᴅɪᴇ ʙ Early Supporters
Reaction score
every tongue that rises against itzy shall fall 💋
Plus Coins
⨭2,685
Yeah. Cannot see them go for the brutal choice and her dying. :D
(H. Ch. Andeson's) Little Mermaid is my most favourite fairytale since I was like 5yo. I knew it whole, could recite it from begining to end, word by word.

But only similarities between Halle and Ariel (Disney) is big bright smile. Honestly Im kinda skeptical to changes since usually it doesnt end up well (usually with poor performance of the actor/actress, no matter what their etnicity is).

But at least they casted girl who can sing. Hopefully she can act too. I will refrain from saying she is miscast until I see how she's doing in teasers (and how stylists are doing).

From the rumored actresses she is one of the better ones.

At least it isnt Sansa. That girl was so bad in every project she touched. I swore I will never pay for any movie with her.
That story has a special place in my heart, finding out the real ending really did traumatise me (still mad about it to this day).

They’re both kinda petite(?) so I guess you could say that’s another similarity. I’m very pessimistic when it comes to Disney (these live actions are only a way to milk more money after all).

I’m just praying that they don’t cast Harry Styles (or even worse Noah Centineo) as Prince Eric.

I don’t have high expectations for this adaptation but we’ll just have to wait and see. They’ll have to have a big budget to execute it well.

Lmao, I don’t think Sophie Turner is a bad actress (she shined in S5 if GOT) but she really hasn’t been doing her best with other projects.

Danee

♥ ANSWER ♥ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭234,495
That story has a special place in my heart, finding out the real ending really did traumatise me (still mad about it to this day).

They’re both kinda petite(?) so I guess you could say that’s another similarity. I’m very pessimistic when it comes to Disney (these live actions are only a way to milk more money after all).

I’m just praying that they don’t cast Harry Styles (or even worse Noah Centineo) as Prince Eric.

I don’t have high expectations for this adaptation but we’ll just have to wait and see. They’ll have to have a big budget to execute it well.

Lmao, I don’t think Sophie Turner is a bad actress (she shined in S5 if GOT) but she really hasn’t been doing her best with other projects.
Petite body frame is definitelly big plus. Idont have any expectations but I would be really happy if the movie turned out well. So good luck to her and whole team.

At least DISNEY arent as bad as Japanese with their anime live action movies. Just watched Full Metal Alchemist and everything is so bad and cheap about is. They made the actors to overact to the point of it looking so dishonest and awkward. Not even talking about costumes and effects. :D

If you were traumatized by Little Mermaid, never read the one about Christmas tree. It was the most brutal story of my childhood. Always cried during the ending.

She had few good moments in GoT, but mostly because at that point her character werent showing that much emotions she moved here and there with stone face. Imo different actress would do better.

Still pissed Jamie Lanister wasnt even asked to do Geralt in Witcher. He would be perfect match.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,420
I don't know why there's a backlash against Ariel being black? This isn't the first time a PoC has been cast as a traditionally white fairytale character. The 1997 Cinderella movie (although not by Disney) starred Brandy as Cinderella despite Cinderella being of German origins.

Park_Oppa

Taeyong's one and only mom Early Supporters
Reaction score
Listening to the holy bible that is My Voice
Plus Coins
⨭2,200
As a Jamaican since it seems I need to clarify this before people come at me I'm sorry but wtf. Ariel ain't black. Doesn't matter if she ain't real.

Don't know why Hollywood be changing these characters like with MJ, Star-fire, Captain America it's too much. I grew up watching The little mermaid 1&2 on vhs and I'm pretty mad. They doing the same with Mulan changing the whole entire script smh.

Like I'd be fine if they didn't call it Ariel cause it ain't ha. But I won't be spending my money on this nonsense.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,420
As a Jamaican since it seems I need to clarify this before people come at me I'm sorry but wtf. Ariel ain't black. Doesn't matter if she ain't real.

Don't know why Hollywood be changing these characters like with MJ, Star-fire, Captain America it's too much. I grew up watching The little mermaid 1&2 on vhs and I'm pretty mad. They doing the same with Mulan changing the whole entire script smh.

Like I'd be fine if they didn't call it Ariel cause it ain't ha. But I won't be spending my money on this nonsense.

Disney's Mulan isn't even remotely close to the original poem either and you're complaining about them changing the script?

LOONY.

Moist
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭20
There's always other material available for those who prefer her traditional looks. This live action doesn't erase the others. They chose her so she must have been qualified enough in their eyes.

JNT-LEGGO

5XID♥ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭80,325
Truth be told I haven't been a fan of these remakes and I do prefer the original character's image to be intact. (And that goes for everybody by the way)

BUT she's my favorite on Grown-ish and she's adorable. She could do a decent job, even I'm more than likely NOT gonna like this movie. They butchered Cinderella and Belle already imo.

EDIT: Since she has dreads (I'm hoping she at least has a little of red in her hair) maybe her whole family could have a Jamaican vibe in tribute to the original Sebastian the crab. (because I have feeling he's not gonna talk in the remake) Y'all know I'd love that.

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
i dont really care who's casted as long as the mermaid can sing and is pretty...but seeing the comments here, there is a point that it's weird for an african-american mermaid to be in medieval europe (regardless of fiction or not). so i hope they reinvent the story to explain for that origin story

LaJetée

Stan Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭25,245
i dont really care who's casted as long as the mermaid can sing and is pretty...but seeing the comments here, there is a point that it's weird for an african-american mermaid to be in medieval europe (regardless of fiction or not). so i hope they reinvent the story to explain for that origin story
Ariel is from Atlantis....a fictional kingdom....under the sea
they literally don't have to change anything about the story just because she's black

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
Ariel is from Atlantis....a fictional kingdom....under the sea
they literally don't have to change anything about the story just because she's black
that's a good point. Atlanteans can be any color. pink, blue, green, who knows.

Joker

Stan Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭48,000
I won’t watch it I know what’s coming the typical white male and ethnic female love story. Ive seen this coming from a mile away. Stupid so called fake progressive people will eat this up. Just like crazy rich Asians I’m not going to waste my time tell you the back story of their castings. Let me know when they cast a non white male as her lover then we’ll be talking other than that it’s just another smoke screen from Hollywood with their bullshit fake diversity agenda.

1. Potential white male as her love, check
2. Filled the diversity box, aka black female check
3. Progressive people eating this up, check
4. ?????
5. Profit

Last edited:

Loulou

Lurker Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭810
I will wait and see, but I do think that choosing a woman of colour to play Ariel changes a lot. Will they choose people of colour to play her family as well? Will the characters still relate to Greek Mythology (Triton is Poseidons and Amphritites son)? That will be interesting.

Top Bottom