How do you shop for new items?

Chomiczewska

Hamster First Place HoE Chomi
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭26,758,499
Inspired by me going to the mall today, I thought I would ask y'all about your preferred method of shopping (online vs in store) as well as how you decide on what to buy :poggers:

Personally I prefer seeing the clothes in person, to judge the feel of the fabric before even judging the fit, but at this point stores carry a limited inventory in their physical locations and having to look through racks and racks full clothes is not really that fun.

So nowadays I much prefer to look for new items online - with applied filters, so that I only scroll through things that may interest me. After which I check on the website if the items are in the physical store near me and if they are - go see them in person or buy them online with the shipping to the store (coz it's always free lol) and then return the clothes if they don't look/fell/fit like I thought they would.

Before I get to actually buying them however, they land on my shopping bookmark list.

image.png

Any time I find something I like, I first bookmark it and then return to it some days/weeks later and see how I feel about it. Sometimes I delete the item from there just a day later, other times they are there for so long that they end up being sold out.

I can also keep an eye out for when the items there go on sale and decide if I want to give them a go once they are cheaper or buy the things I went to check out in person, liked, but didn't feel like they were worth as much as they were marked as.

I feel having a list with all of the items I like, really makes me more choosy with what I actually end up purchasing. I can take my time looking at the clothes before making a decision and really think if they'd make a good addition to my closet. As well as it gives me to time to look at the photos that are posted on the websites and sometimes notice that those clothes don't even look that nicely made in those and realize they would be even worse in person.

All of the above apply to both shopping for new clothes and well as secondhand. I feel like online shopping is really great for getting clothes secondhand actually, coz if you got to a physical store you are much more likely to make impulse purchases, since you know that if that item is gone, it's gone. If you look at them online however, there is still that feeling that they might be gone any second, but I feel like a lot of the times you can still take a few days to think it through instead of a few minutes.

So, now it's your guys turn to share your thought, opinions and shopping habits~
1288682846784852079.webp

P.S. RIP to the teddy bear socks I asked some of you guys about yesterday, I saw them in person and they did not feel good and that brown pair was a really ugly shade of brown
1289327012938383442.webp

Seriously

Pretty 💜 Psycho Early Supporters Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭29,100
I always try to buy clothes in a store, just to try them on, because I'm annoyingly between sizes in a lot of things. Two brands, in the same size, one will fit, one won't. I say this as a dude, female friends have told me it's 1000x worse for girls.
:run:

Everything else I almost exclusively buy online. I also have a bookmarked list, but I wipe it clean regularly.
:nayshy:

heather

your heart's not broken, it's only growing Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭29,870
Pronouns
She/Her
I am almost 100% online. I have an aversion to large crowds and live in a tourist spot
1289327012938383442.webp
I am trying to force myself out into these spaces these days, which has led to a lot of cute shoe options.

As for the actual mechanics of it, I used to compile bookmarks but didn't clear them out often enough. So, I might save something for later, but I only buy things I've had an interest in. If I don't remember something I want off the top of my head, I don't experience FOMO, I rationalize it as something I didn't *really* want (I watch a lot of Hoarders, lol.)

I split between a few shops. I'm usually a heavy Aliexpress girly, but due to some ethical issues, I am trying to get into second-hand items. When it comes to clothing, I tend to buy clothes pretty rarely. I like to nurture them and I value every single article. Again, I watch a lot of Hoarders, so anything I don't have some massive attachment to ends up being donated.

Your system is immaculate, though!

Beefy

Billion Dollar Bitch
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭8,235,435
Pronouns
They/Them
I do something similar, I find things in store and then check them out / buy them online (I like to cross-check/compare prices). Unless it’s cheap or clearance then I don't bother.

when it comes to looking for items I never have a wish list or have anything specific in mind. It’s always based on vibes and if it fits my aesthetic. Which is probs why I spend an ungodly amount on clothes and other accessories :yooheadache:

UMJI MOODS

엄지는 내 장미 VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭55,004,413
Clothes in the store always because I am oddly constructed.
Food I know the prices everywhere so I buy the cheapest.
Other things I compare online and then buy in store.
Only about 1% of shopping is online because I can't find something at hand.

Chomiczewska

Hamster First Place HoE Chomi
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭26,758,499
I always try to buy clothes in a store, just to try them on, because I'm annoyingly between sizes in a lot of things. Two brands, in the same size, one will fit, one won't. I say this as a dude, female friends have told me it's 1000x worse for girls.
:run:

Everything else I almost exclusively buy online. I also have a bookmarked list, but I wipe it clean regularly.
:nayshy:
If the brands' sizing was at least consistent within the brand it wouldn't great, but it wouldn't be that bad, but I remember one time trying 3 dresses at H&M, all in the same size and one was too small, one was too big and one fit right but was ugly :squirtlechristmas: This is why whenever I order online I order two sizes and then return one sksk

I am almost 100% online. I have an aversion to large crowds and live in a tourist spot
1289327012938383442.webp
I am trying to force myself out into these spaces these days, which has led to a lot of cute shoe options.

As for the actual mechanics of it, I used to compile bookmarks but didn't clear them out often enough. So, I might save something for later, but I only buy things I've had an interest in. If I don't remember something I want off the top of my head, I don't experience FOMO, I rationalize it as something I didn't *really* want (I watch a lot of Hoarders, lol.)

I split between a few shops. I'm usually a heavy Aliexpress girly, but due to some ethical issues, I am trying to get into second-hand items. When it comes to clothing, I tend to buy clothes pretty rarely. I like to nurture them and I value every single article. Again, I watch a lot of Hoarders, so anything I don't have some massive attachment to ends up being donated.

Your system is immaculate, though!
I'm jealous of your cute shoe options, Poland doesn't believe in cute shoes over size 41 :sejeongcry:

I do something similar, I find things in store and then check them out / buy them online (I like to cross-check/compare prices). Unless it’s cheap or clearance then I don't bother.

when it comes to looking for items I never have a wish list or have anything specific in mind. It’s always based on vibes and if it fits my aesthetic. Which is probs why I spend an ungodly amount on clothes and other accessories :yooheadache:
Maybe you can start having a bookmark list of everything you think is cute and want to buy instead of buying it? :think: One of my friends got inspired by me and once she saw how long her list was after just a month she started trying to fix her buying habits

heather

your heart's not broken, it's only growing Blog
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭29,870
Pronouns
She/Her
If the brands' sizing was at least consistent within the brand it wouldn't great, but it wouldn't be that bad, but I remember one time trying 3 dresses at H&M, all in the same size and one was too small, one was too big and one fit right but was ugly :squirtlechristmas: This is why whenever I order online I order two sizes and then return one sksk

I'm jealous of your cute shoe options, Poland doesn't believe in cute shoes over size 41 :sejeongcry:

Maybe you can start having a bookmark list of everything you think is cute and want to buy instead of buying it? :think: One of my friends got inspired by me and once she saw how long her list was after just a month she started trying to fix her buying habits
I feel this on Aliexpress! I wear the last size for most of the shops! It’s a shame that so many shoes only go up to such a small size??? It feels like the median size too.

Chiharu

The Worst Girl in the World Events VIP+ Tenth Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,347,782
I do most of my shopping online :poggers: I look on websites and pick whatever I like. The sizing hasn't really been a problem for me. There's only been like, 2 times I ordered smth and the size was off

Top Bottom