Investigation Reveals Just How Manipulated The First 3 Seasons Of 'Produce 101' Were

TWICE•MOMO

🍑#1 MOMO FANBOI🍑 Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭501,845
SR SR An update to the investigations involving MNET and CJ voter fraud case.

V5WXX0YBXHp_8s4rPbL4Hr-WhaRcHk-HaA5Rekt6Dbg_xR-HHr7WT8NgwzhWMWtO0IvMlwAbtACGuA6VXnCNGx3cPsAMmUUX=w780-rw-nu-e365

The Korea Communications Standards Commission (KCSC) has decided in their investigation that the Produce 101 series should receive the highest level of punishment possible, and there have also been details released about the specifics of the manipulation.

The KCSC announced on August to that they have decided to fine Mnet for the manipulation in all of their seasons of Produce: Produce 101 Season 1, Produce 101 Season 2, Produce 48, and Produce X 101.

By using the tactic that the final members of the group will be decided by the viewer’s votes, to increase viewer participation, the viewers were encouraged to vote for their pick, but the results of the vote were manipulated to deceive the viewers and prevented fair public opinion from being shown.

Not only that, but the wasted effort form the audition show participants is a serious problem.

— KCSC

According to the KCSC statement, Mnet manipulated aspects of all four seasons of Produce. The methods they manipulated the votes include arbitrarily setting the final rankings before the final vote even occurred, reversing the rankings of eliminated and safe trainees, and deceiving viewers to think that the results were the viewers’ choices. In addition, it was revealed that the results in Produce 101 Season 1’s 4th and final round of voting were manipulated.

Last month, the broadcasting subcommittee detailed how the manipulation occurred in respective seasons. Lee So Young, a member from the committtee, shared their findings.

In Season 1, four trainees’ rankings were manipulated in the first round of voting. In Season 2, two trainees’ rankings were manipulated in the first round of voting, and two trainees’ rankings were manipulated in the final rankings for Wanna One. In Season 3 (Produce 48), all 12 trainees for the final group IZ*ONE were manipulated.

CJ ENM Strategy and Support Vice President Lim Hyeong Chan stated that these manipulation moments were true.

— Lee So Young

While Produce X 101 was not specifically mentioned by Lee So Young, Lim Hyeong Chan stated that all four seasons of Produce did have some level of manipulation.

In addition, the law firm selected as the representative for the Produce X Truth Finding Committee mentioned one of the I.O.I members had their rankings manipulated to enter the group.

The fourth live voting results for the final selection of the I.O.I members in Season 1 was manipulated. The results of the prosecution’s investigation showed that one member of the debut group had their rankings manipulated.

— MAST

The amount of fines that Mnet and CJ will be receiving has yet to be determined. While the numbers have not been set yet, the committee will will consider the details, number of violations, and more before handing CJ ENM their final fine amount. The fine is expected to be around ₩120 million KRW ($101,020 USD).

Kind of shocked to be honest that every single member of Iz*One was confirmed to be a result of rigging. It seems in the other seasons they used manipulation I suppose when a member they either wanted, or didn't want, to debut was in/out they fiddled the numbers to change positions...but in PD48 they just basically faked the whole thing and picked the final line up from the start.

I wonder who the rigged members of IOI was?

Hopefully the investigation continues and looks further into the agencies involved also, but the fine is basically nothing for the companies involved.

Last edited:

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭428,700
All IZONE members ? Wow, until now I thought only the top 20 was rigged but according to this it was since the first round.

And even one IOI member

TWICE•MOMO

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭501,845
That's barely a slap on the wrist. Should've been at least 10 times higher.
Agreed. This is ridiculous when you consider CJ ENM is probably the 1st or 2nd highest value media group in Korea and one of the highest in Asia. 100 grand, likely split with MNET is pocket change.

It feels like if you or I was handed a 2 buck fine...it's absolutely nothing at all to them.

TWICE•MOMO

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭501,845
All IZONE members ? Wow, until now I thought only the top 20 was rigged but according to this it was since the first round.

And even one IOI member
Yeah it makes me think that it was decided who would debut even before filming start, which makes you question how much of the rest of the show/marketing around it was manipulated to favor the final members. Editing, screen time, song choice, positions, etc likely all set up to make the 12 members stand out or have an easier time on stage with favourable songs and choreo.

abra

Nations Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭5,353,440
Pronouns
he/him
Agreed. This is ridiculous when you consider CJ ENM is probably the 1st or 2nd highest value media group in Korea and one of the highest in Asia. 100 grand, likely split with MNET is pocket change.

It feels like if you or I was handed a 2 buck fine...it's absolutely nothing at all to them.
They probably made much more just from the voting. It's like holding a lottery raffle with total ticket sales of 1000 usd, secretly the price to yourself and then being forced to pay back a 40 dollar fine.

TWICE•MOMO

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭501,845
They probably made much more just from the voting. It's like holding a lottery raffle with total ticket sales of 1000 usd, secretly the price to yourself and then being forced to pay back a 40 dollar fine.
It's nuts. The justice system in Korea around the entertainment industry seems really weak, I mean it's the same in most countries lol, but that fine is really laughable.

minimoo

✨ᵗʰᵉʸ/ᵗʰᵉᵐ✨
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭267,331
SR SR An update to the investigations involving MNET and CJ voter fraud case.

V5WXX0YBXHp_8s4rPbL4Hr-WhaRcHk-HaA5Rekt6Dbg_xR-HHr7WT8NgwzhWMWtO0IvMlwAbtACGuA6VXnCNGx3cPsAMmUUX=w780-rw-nu-e365

The Korea Communications Standards Commission (KCSC) has decided in their investigation that the Produce 101 series should receive the highest level of punishment possible, and there have also been details released about the specifics of the manipulation.

The KCSC announced on August to that they have decided to fine Mnet for the manipulation in all of their seasons of Produce: Produce 101 Season 1, Produce 101 Season 2, Produce 48, and Produce X 101.

By using the tactic that the final members of the group will be decided by the viewer’s votes, to increase viewer participation, the viewers were encouraged to vote for their pick, but the results of the vote were manipulated to deceive the viewers and prevented fair public opinion from being shown.

Not only that, but the wasted effort form the audition show participants is a serious problem.

— KCSC

According to the KCSC statement, Mnet manipulated aspects of all four seasons of Produce. The methods they manipulated the votes include arbitrarily setting the final rankings before the final vote even occurred, reversing the rankings of eliminated and safe trainees, and deceiving viewers to think that the results were the viewers’ choices. In addition, it was revealed that the results in Produce 101 Season 1’s 4th and final round of voting were manipulated.

Last month, the broadcasting subcommittee detailed how the manipulation occurred in respective seasons. Lee So Young, a member from the committtee, shared their findings.

In Season 1, four trainees’ rankings were manipulated in the first round of voting. In Season 2, two trainees’ rankings were manipulated in the first round of voting, and two trainees’ rankings were manipulated in the final rankings for Wanna One. In Season 3 (Produce 48), all 12 trainees for the final group IZ*ONE were manipulated.

CJ ENM Strategy and Support Vice President Lim Hyeong Chan stated that these manipulation moments were true.

— Lee So Young

While Produce X 101 was not specifically mentioned by Lee So Young, Lim Hyeong Chan stated that all four seasons of Produce did have some level of manipulation.

In addition, the law firm selected as the representative for the Produce X Truth Finding Committee mentioned one of the I.O.I members had their rankings manipulated to enter the group.

The fourth live voting results for the final selection of the I.O.I members in Season 1 was manipulated. The results of the prosecution’s investigation showed that one member of the debut group had their rankings manipulated.

— MAST

The amount of fines that Mnet and CJ will be receiving has yet to be determined. While the numbers have not been set yet, the committee will will consider the details, number of violations, and more before handing CJ ENM their final fine amount. The fine is expected to be around ₩120 million KRW ($101,020 USD).

Kind of shocked to be honest that every single member of Iz*One was confirmed to be a result of rigging. It seems in the other seasons they used manipulation I suppose when a member they either wanted, or didn't want, to debut was in/out they fiddled the numbers to change positions...but in PD48 they just basically faked the whole thing and picked the final line up from the start.

I wonder who the rigged members of IOI was?

Hopefully the investigation continues and looks further into the agencies involved also, but the fine is basically nothing for the companies involved.
This just makes me sad

BlessMeAchoo

Excuse My Charisma
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭201,500
I'm not that shocked tbh, reality shows have been rigged and staged since forever.
They could have avoided this whole mess if only they didn't pretend like the audience had a choice.

AstroBaby

Trainee
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭520,400
Yeah it makes me think that it was decided who would debut even before filming start, which makes you question how much of the rest of the show/marketing around it was manipulated to favor the final members. Editing, screen time, song choice, positions, etc likely all set up to make the 12 members stand out or have an easier time on stage with favourable songs and choreo.
This just makes the members who did manage to get favorable screentime like Gaeun more impressive, I feel mnet honestly could have done a better job of setting up the members bc I remember when they called Minju I was just like: who's that :TzuyuKek:

Astro

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,638,000
For s1 I always hear ppl say han hyeri should’ve been in the final

s2 JR from nu’est was definitely in the final lineup but got rigged

s3 kaeun got rigged out

S4 jinhyuk & minkyu were rigged out

Sweetlight

☆☆☆ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭152,675
Kaeun was definitely a victim of this... The presence of survival shows did so much damage to kpop imo, they stole money from viewers, damaged the trainees' mental health, put them in so much stress and disrespected them. Mnet deserves a bigger penalty and also shouldn't make any survival shows ever again :judgingyou:

Top Bottom