Momotarou, the peach boy
Urashima and the Kingdom Beneath the Sea
Nezuminosumou: Mouse Sumou
Kintarou, the Nature Boy
Kasakojizou: Bamboo Hats for Jizou

[Masterlist]

Verb Conjugation:

• ます-Form
used when speaking to someone who is your direct superior or someone you don't know very well. Formal language.

godan/ru verbs

Present AffirmativePresent NegativePast AffirmativePast NegativeExample Verbs
remove "ru" add "masu"remove "ru" add "masen"remove "ru" add "mashita"remove "ru" add "masendeshita"たべる:To Eat

ichidan/u verbs

Present AffirmativePresent NegativePast AffirmativePast NegativeExample Verbs
"u" endingremove "u" add "imasu"remove "u" add "imasen"remove "u" add "imashita"remove "u" add "imasendeshita"いく:To Go
"ku" endingremove "ku" add "kimasu"remove "ku" add "kimasen"remove "ku" add "kimashita"remove "ku" add "kimasendeshita"きく:To Listen
"tsu" endingremove "tsu" add "chimasu"remove "tsu" add "chimasen"remove "tsu" add "chimashita"remove "tsu" add "chimasendeshita"もつ:To Hold
"nu" endingremove "nu" add "nimasu"remove "nu" add "nimasen"remove "nu" add "nimashita"remove "nu" add "nimasendeshita"しぬ:To Die
"mu" endingremove "mu" add "mimasu"remove "mu" add "mimasen"
remove "mu" add "mimashita"
remove "mu" add "mimasendeshita"よむ:To Read
"zu" endingremove "zu" add "zimasu"remove "zu" add "zimasen"remove "zu" add "zimashita"remove "zu" add "zimasendeshita"きんず:To Forbid
"ru" endingremove "ru" add "rimasuremove "ru" add "rimasenremove "ru" add "rimashita"remove "ru" add "rimasendeshita"とる:To Take
"su" endingremove "su" add "shimasu"remove "su" add "shimaen"remove "su" add "shimashita"remove "su" add "shimasendeshita"はなす:To Speak
"bu" endingremove "bu" add "bimasu"remove "bu" add "bimasen"remove "bu" add "bimashita"remove "bu" add "bimasendeshitaはこぶ:To Carry

Irregular Verbs

Base FormPresent AffirmativePresent NegativePast AffirmativePast Negative
To Comeくるきます
きません
きました
きませんでした
To Doするしますしませんしましたしませんでした
To Studyべんきょうする勉強します勉強しません勉強しました勉強しませんでした

• て-Form

godan/ru verbs

"ru', "tsu" or "u" endingreplace final syllable with "tte"のる:のって
"ku" ending*replace final syllable with "ite"きく:きいて
"su" endingreplace final syllable with "shite"はなす:はなして
"bu", "mu" or "nu" endingreplace final syllable with "nde"しぬ:しんで
"gu" endingreplace final syllable with "ide"およぐ:およいで

*there is one irregular conjugation, this is for the word いく('to come') which conjugates いって (not いて)

ichidan/u verbs

"ru" endingreplace final syllable with "te"たべる:たべて

Irregular Verbs

To Comeくる:きて
To Doする:して
To Studyべんきょうする:べんきょうして

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Kłapouchy

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭95,309
Particles:

Japanese particles are small words that indicate relations of words within a sentence. They follow other words such as nouns, verbs, adjectives are parts of a sentence. Some but not all can be compared to prepositions in English. The Japanese language uses a total of 188 particles.

Description via NihongoIchiban

yrbGvXj.png

Wsk4JAj.png

cKEkqoo.png

AralUA4.png

Toh2Uk0.png

UbTDXox.png

1laxdhI.png
Ezs3Lo8.png

FMiMqjK.png

JXncWUA.png

N7FQrZb.png

SSHl8T4.png

Japanese name suffix’s

さん(San)
The most common, used on both boys and girls. Can be used in both formal and (somewhat) informal contexts. さん is your failsafe when you don’t know which one to use. Do not refer to ones self as san, it is very rude
さま(Sama)

1. When working for a company and talking to a customer
  2. You want to be sarcastic about someone who thinks highly of themselves
Do not refer to yourself as さま unless you are making fun of yourself
くん(Kun)
Casual when referring to other males usually by someone of higher status to someone of lower status. e.g. when talking to a male student. Some females are called くん, however this is less common.
ちゃん(Chan)
Usually used on children, female family members, close friends and lovers. It is a term of endearment. Often a person’s name is shortened to addちゃんto it (e.g. こちゃん, instead of こいちちゃん) not to be used on anyone of higher status, the person should be younger than you, or you should know the person really well, you can use ちゃん to your name, unlike others

Japanese Pronouns

Female:
わたし: me/I usually omitted, if you use this too much it sounds like “ME ME ME, I want all the attention ♡“.
あたし: me/I usually used by women 20-40
うち: used as I in hiragana, but ’house’ in Kanji. Mainly used by teenagers in Tokyo
Some women use their own names
Male:
俺・おれ・オレ: me/I used when talking casually to friends.
ぼく・ボク・僕: feels childlike when used informally, good boys use this.ぼくis often used as ’I’ in blogs, to distinguish the writer as male. Used when you don’t have to be too formal with a person, but still formal ( i.e. a stranger on the street), also used when talking to senpai. Girls who use ぼく are considered weird, as if they wan to be a man and are not girly, often seen as cringe.
Either
わたし・わたくし・私: when talking to a boss/client. Girls can use わたし in all cases, the same cannot be said for men
じぶん・自分・ジブン: when they don’t know what to use in formal speech:わたし is too formal and ぼく is too childish.

Making Comparisons:

To compare two items or activities the sentence pattern
A よりB (の) 方が (ほうが) C です is used.
In this pattern B is emphasized or preferred over A
A and B can be nouns or verb phrases
C can be either a verb or an adjective
When comparing verbs the base (dictionary) verb is used and omit the の before方が

e.g.
日本よりカナダ方が大きです。
Canada is bigger than Japan

りょうりはつくるより食べる方が好きです。
I like eating more than cooking
cr. my Japanese notes

Last edited:

Bom

夢を諦めないで Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭97,680
Anyone have any tips for learning Kanji?

I know about 50 Kanji's already and know them just by looking. I learnt them by reading song lyrics in Japanese whilst singing.
I know the meanings but not how write them. I also don't really understand how to read them I just remember them.

Holo

Nugu Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,150
Anyone have any tips for learning Kanji?

I know about 50 Kanji's already and know them just by looking. I learnt them by reading song lyrics in Japanese whilst singing.
I know the meanings but not how write them. I also don't really understand how to read them I just remember them.

The two most popular methods I have found are either:

A) Learn the particles and then basic kanji and move up from there

B) Learn the most common Kanji and g9 that way

I find people who do A generally have an easier time learning new Kanji but people in B often can learn to read faster.

Kanji generally follows the pattern of left to right, top to bottom, then inside. In terms of writing.

Also lots of people use nmemonics but I personally found that it makes things harder in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Some great resources are out there in terms of apps, and looking at the N1-5 tests will give you what Japan expects of you in terms of Kanji recognition.

Bom

夢を諦めないで Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭97,680
The two most popular methods I have found are either:

A) Learn the particles and then basic kanji and move up from there

B) Learn the most common Kanji and g9 that way

I find people who do A generally have an easier time learning new Kanji but people in B often can learn to read faster.

Kanji generally follows the pattern of left to right, top to bottom, then inside. In terms of writing.

Also lots of people use nmemonics but I personally found that it makes things harder in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Some great resources are out there in terms of apps, and looking at the N1-5 tests will give you what Japan expects of you in terms of Kanji recognition.

Thank you!
The Kanji I know so far are very common, I think I'm going to do a combination of both A and B.
From reading repeatedly I am picking up new Kanji but I want to know how to read them, rather than just memorising the way they look.

Kłapouchy

🚀🚩 Social Media Lead Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭95,309
Japanese Counters

Hours

KanjiHiraganaEnglish
一時One O'Clock
二時Two O'Clock
三時Three O'Clock
四時よじFour O'Clock
五時Five O'Clock
六時Six O'Clock
七時しちじSeven O'Clock
八時Eight O'Clock
九時くじNine O'Clock
十時Ten O'Clock
十一時Eleven O'Clock
十二時Twelve O'Clock

The hour is given by saying the number and adding 「時」, which is pronounced as 「じ」.

Above is a chart with exceptions to look out for.

Minutes

KanjiHiraganaEnglish
一分いっぷん1 minute
二分にふん2 minutes
三分さんぷん3 minutes
四分よんぷん4 minutes
五分ごふん5 minutes
六分ろっぷん6 minutes
七分ななふん7 minutes
八分はっぷん8 minutes
九分くふん9 minutes
十分じゅうぷん10 minutes

Minutes are given by adding 「分」, which is usually read as「ふん」, though look out for exceptions which can be read as 「ぷん」.

Seconds

KanjiHiraganaEnglish
一秒いちびょう1 second
二秒にびょう2 seconds
三秒さんびょう3 seconds
四秒よんびょう4 seconds
五秒ごびょう5 seconds
六秒ろくびょう6 seconds
七秒ななびょう7 seconds
八秒はちびょう8 seconds
九秒きゅうびょう9 seconds
十秒じゅうびょう10 seconds

All reading for seconds consist of the number plus 「秒」, which is read as「びょう」. There are no exceptions for seconds and readings are all the same.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Time Counters - 間

The basic counter for a span of time is 「」, which is read as 「かん」. You can attach it to the end of hours, days, weeks, and years. Minutes (in general) and seconds do not need this counter and months have a separate counter

二年(にねんかん)
two years

三週(さんしゅうかん)
three weeks

Pronunciations to watch out for when counting weeks is one week: 「一週」(いっしゅうかん)and 8 weeks: 「八週」(はっしゅうかん)

Time Counters - Months

To count the number of months, you simple take a regular number and add 「」and 「」which is pronounced here as 「げつ」and not 「がつ」. The 「」used in this counter is usually written as a small katakana 「」which is confusing because it’s still pronounced as 「か」and not 「け」. The small 「ヶ」is actually totally different from the katakana「ケ」and is really an abbreviation for the kanji 「箇」, the original kanji for the counter. This small 「ヶ」is also used in some place names such as 「千駄ヶ谷」and other counters, such as the counter for location described in the “Other Counters”section below.

二十ヶ月

Twenty months

三十三ヶ月

Thirty three months

*** When counting months, you should watch out for the following sound changes:

ヶ月(いっかげつ)

ヶ月(ろっかげつ)
ヶ月(じゅっかげつ)

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
Raises hand. I am probably lower intermediate when it comes to Japanese skills.

Maybe we should write down words we learn.
For me, I just learned
rooftop: 屋上 (okujou)
fold: 折りたたむ (oritatamu)
tides: 潮汐 (chouseki)

Katniss

Idol
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭115,050
This might be nice for beginners:

A few more words I learned:

タランチュラ: Tarantula