fromisSakura

Jelly | Seoyeon best girl VIP+ Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,282,000
K-Drama: Doctor John
Review written by: ByulHarangBona

R85Gl1k.jpg

Doctor John (also titled Doctor Room) is a Korean drama revolving around doctors specializing in pain management. It also explores the controversial subject of euthanasia. Euthanasia is the practice of intentionally ending a life to relieve pain and suffering. The act itself is legal in some countries while illegal in others. The drama is based on the Japanese novel "On Hand of God" by Yo Kusakabe.

As someone who has watched plenty of Korean medical dramas, I was particularly interested to see how this drama would fare. It starred Actors Ji Sung (Doctor Cha Yo-Han) and Lee Se-young (Resident Si Young) as anesthesiologists working in the same hospital. They work together to help lessen the pains from their various patient's medical conditions while having personal issues of their own to deal with too.

b-4.jpg

Sadly, despite the hype of the drama, I found it really disappointing. The plot was messy, and it felt like the writers became disinterested in writing as the story progressed. They even added a prosecutor, and a nurse who work together, attempting to take down Doctor Cha Yo-Han after he was previously convicted of euthanizing a patient who murdered the nurse's children. The nurse is fixated on revenge against Doctor Yo-Han for lessening the pain of the murderer by euthanizing him. Towards the end of the series she forgives him, but it was never clearly explained why, ruining the flow of the drama. We also have Kang I-moon - the Director of Sehan Hospital (where the story is based at) - who was hoping to be promoted to the position of 'Chief of the hospital'. However, when the Chief of the Anesthesiology Department (Min Tae-kyeong) was offered the position instead of him, we didn't get to witness his rage, and disappointment at being rejected. It was frustrating especially since they spent quite a few scenes focusing on him wanting the position.

%B1%E8%C7%FD%C0%BA2.jpg

I personally feel that Ji Sung portrayed his role well, and deserves high praise for understanding the character he was portraying. Unfortunately, it was a different story for Lee Se-Young who didn't act to her full potential. I was especially disappointed since she acted really well in "The Crowned Clown", her last drama before embarking on Doctor John. However I do feel that it is not her fault. Although she was the lead actress, her character was weak, and instead of showing us how a resident of the Anesthesiology department will actually behave, we got a lovesick resident who is constantly pining for the male lead.

It has to be said that despite my venting, the drama did have some good points. As a viewer, I was able to understand the various pains of the patients and the social stigma they faced. The drama also shows us the two sides of euthanasia. For example, the family of Si Young decided to end the life of her father who was in a coma for a few years and medically had no chances of recovering at all. They donated his organs to patients in need of them while ending his suffering, thus showing how euthanasia can be a blessing in disguise. On the other hand, there was a medical company trying to push the 'Euthanasia law' through which will allow them to legally murder patients under the guise of ending their pains for profits. It also boasts some nice OSTs such as "Pain or Death" by Samuel Seow.

If you are the type who enjoys deep topics or the medical drama genre in particular, I will recommend you to give it a try. It's a drama that definitely had me thinking about life too.

Story: 7/10
Acting: 8/10
Cinematography: 7/10
Cast: 7/10

7.25/10
____________​

rosie

• ♔ • Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭17,750
Currently only watching one drama, might be worthwhile to give this a go 🤔 Thanks for the review!

Bom

夢を諦めないで Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭97,680
If you've watched the 'Age of Youth' series, you'll like this one! It gives off the same vibes, but more mature themes (and overall feel) compared to Age of Youth

Ohh sounds good! I loved Age of Youth!

rosie

• ♔ • Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭17,750
Ohh sounds good! I loved Age of Youth!

Would highly recommend this one then! Currently airing though so the wait is excruciating :wae:

Some people found Age of Youth boring, so they'll probably feel the same with this one. But I love it and the calm vibes it gives!

• Love
Reactions: Bom

soozie

✴︎ Events
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭108,733
Great review Byul! I usually enjoy medical drama but I had to drop this after 8 episodes because I didn’t like where the plot was going, but I might try to pick it up again

fromisSakura

Jelly | Seoyeon best girl VIP+ Donor Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭2,282,000
Great review Byul! I usually enjoy medical drama but I had to drop this after 8 episodes because I didn’t like where the plot was going, but I might try to pick it up again

Yes, the plot was kinda messy which was why it got a 7 from me. But I like that they explore this topic.
P.s: Did you watch Doctor Detective?

Bom

夢を諦めないで Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭97,680
Would highly recommend this one then! Currently airing though so the wait is excruciating :wae:

Some people found Age of Youth boring, so they'll probably feel the same with this one. But I love it and the calm vibes it gives!

Age of Youth was so far from boring for me! I might even watch it again while I wait for this one! :LOL:
I think I'll wait until it's finished airing so I can binge watch it. :popcorn:

Top Bottom