Korean music channel Mnet apologises for ‘manipulating’ results of talent show franchise Produce 101

GuardianofTheCosmicRealm

Servant Of Luda Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭229,700
Korean music channel Mnet apologises for ‘manipulating’ results of talent show franchise Produce 101
PRI_96664855.jpg

Police had reportedly found reason to believe that all seasons of the popular show were rigged.

Producing Director Ahn Joon Young and chief producer Kim Yong Bum were indicted on charges of fraud, breach of trust by taking bribes, and violation of the Improper Solicitation and Graft Act.

Mnet has since apologised, releasing a statement saying: ‘We are taking this situation very seriously, and we are truly sorry and feel a great sense of responsibility. ‘We are internally preparing a sincere apology as well as actions fitting with our responsibility, compensation for damages, measures to prevent this from happening again, and steps for reform.’ Groups created from Produce 101, that are still banded, include Iz*One and X1.

In addition to the producing director and chief producer, South Korean police brought in eight more individuals for a trial on charges of obstruction of business.

Although Ahn Joon Young didn’t officially confess, he said: ‘I’m sorry’ when asked if he admitted to voter manipulation. He admitted to police during questioning to manipulating the results of Produce X 101 and Produce 48. The entire production team manipulated the results of the first two seasons of Produce 101 as well.

Last edited:

lingyi

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭73,925
I always take a translated article from any source but Soompi with a grain of salt, but if this is true, it's another nail in the coffin stopping Mnet from doing anything related to Kpop reality shows or awards. I hope MAMA this year will be cancelled as it will be such a slap in the face to all the artists involved. "And the winner is from whichever company paid us the most!"

D

DR. K💉M 👄

Only produce franchise? That's why the apologies are not worth it. Trying to make it look like they are mostly innocent except for the parts where they got caught oops. The police are investigating idol school too. So if they find anything, watch mnet say only produce+idol school oops.

Bellamy

Be strong, be brave〰 VIP+ Early Supporters Second Place HoE
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭31,271,564
Pronouns
She/Her
Just stop the "Produce" survivor shows:judgingyou:

S

Some

. I hope MAMA this year will be cancelled as it will be such a slap in the face to all the artists involved. "And the winner is from whichever company paid us the most!"

And who said MAMA was an actual legit award show ? If an artist is there they get an award if they are not they dont and if mnet hates someone regardless of the votes or sales and the great achivements they also dont give anything thats what i noticed throughout the years also if a company dosent get much awards they get mad and boycott and suddenly appear next year with many awards mama has always been fucked up i just look at clips to laugh from time to time

Whisky23

"Kind but not soft" Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭104,200
Pronouns
Stud/Studmuffin
And who said MAMA was an actual legit award show ? If an artist is there they get an award if they are not they dont and if mnet hates someone regardless of the votes or sales and the great achivements they also dont give anything thats what i noticed throughout the years also if a company dosent get much awards they get mad and boycott and suddenly appear next year with many awards mama has always been fucked up i just look at clips to laugh from time to time
That's not just Mnet/MAMA though. That's pretty much the whole industry, and Korean culture as a whole. It's why JYPE groups are pretty much missing from Melon Music Awards the past couple of years, or why groups like JYJ were unable to promote on any network for years until only recently. Even the Blue House under PGH had their own roster of blacklisted entertainers. The kind of behavior that thinks it's acceptable to manipulate results is not exclusive to Mnet or CJ. The extremely patriarchial and hierarchical social construct in Korea just makes it easy for these kind of behaviors to persist.

S

Some

That's not just Mnet/MAMA though. That's pretty much the whole industry, and Korean culture as a whole. It's why JYPE groups are pretty much missing from Melon Music Awards the past couple of years, or why groups like JYJ were unable to promote on any network for years until only recently. Even the Blue House under PGH had their own roster of blacklisted entertainers. The kind of behavior that thinks it's acceptable to manipulate results is not exclusive to Mnet or CJ. The extremely patriarchial and hierarchical social construct in Korea just makes it easy for these kind of behaviors to persist.

Wow! And here i though its just the shitty old dudes at mnet

Top Bottom