Mnet launches new upcoming global audition for "Girls Planet 999" that is a joint project between Korean, China, and Japan

No.1

Idol Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­292,855
Man, imagine if trainees collectivelly gave mnet the finger for these kinds of shows. Can't do the same thing over and over and expect different results, some of these trainess will be walked over all over again.

One can only hope.

lusobr

Idol Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­558,935
The concept and success of Produce series is too good and successful for them to just drop it. I was expecting this to happen just didn't think it would be this soon. Mnet truly is shameless.

I'll probably still watch it but definitely not get as invested as I did with P101.

Neither the companies or trainees can afford to boycott this given the size of CJ&M and how well I*ZONE did even after the investigation and convictions. Maybe companies like Starship and Cube can think about skipping it cause their groups are doing well, but the Fantagio's or Jellyfish's of the world have a harder choice to make.

It's gonna be a weird one considering we still are mid pandemic and new variants of the virus popping up. Japan is having a rise in cases and Korea is in a third and the most severe wave. I wouldn't be surprised if this only gets filmed way later in the year maybe even delayed to 2022. If they are gonna pick the girls now too and it gets delayed I expect we'll have some dropouts.

I think they are rushing this. It'll definitely make money but there is so much uncertainty with the world right now the risk of having something unexpected happen is really high. I don't think the investigation will affect views that much, they will have a hard time getting investors and sponsors, which is a big problem, but they wouldn't have announced this if they didn't have support already.

It's gonna be interesting to see how much Chinese and Japanese companies and trainees take part in this.

MedicationHelps87

Bi Racial Ruler Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­3,500,501
Pronouns
He/Him
It's a good idea, for diversity in Asia.
But then again, with Covid 19 rampant in those countries atm.
It's also a huge risk.
Many wishes to their success nonetheless!

frostpuddle

Global Star Donor+
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­260,063
It's a good idea, for diversity in Asia.
But then again, with Covid 19 rampant in those countries atm.
It's also a huge risk.
Many wishes to their success nonetheless!
Diversity in Asia??? You know Asia is not a single country right? It’s the largest continent with many countries, ethnic groups, cultures, religions and languages.
I think you mean k-pop instead? But kpop groups have already included East Asians (Chinese, Japanese) members for years so what this survival show is doing is nothing new.

MedicationHelps87

Bi Racial Ruler Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­3,500,501
Pronouns
He/Him
Diversity in Asia??? You know Asia is not a single country right? It’s the largest continent with many countries, ethnic groups, cultures, religions and languages.
I think you mean k-pop instead? But kpop groups have already included East Asians (Chinese, Japanese) members for years so what this survival show is doing is nothing new.
Ok I worded that wrong and meant all of Asia yeah, like Japan, China, Korea etc. Multiple countries.
And you're right it still feels nice though. Given how some netizens feel about their just korean only groups.

My English isn't the best, even though it was my native language doh.

Last edited:

JessicaRabbit123

Hallyuboo
Reaction score
Plus Coins
β¨­286,575
Naturally people are going to want to be apart of the show, even if the lineup is rigged, MNET group producing shows is great for exposure. Opening it non (Korean) company contestants makes it that much more enticing because now girls who aren't tied to a company or group can thrive off their individual success instead of it being wasted by a delay debut or being thrown into a group that their akgae will hate ala Gugudan. If anyone follows cpop or jpop, you'll know solo stanning is much more popular than group fandoming so this works really well for a global audition program.

Neither the companies or trainees can afford to boycott this given the size of CJ&M and how well I*ZONE did even after the investigation and convictions. Maybe companies like Starship and Cube can think about skipping it cause their groups are doing well, but the Fantagio's or Jellyfish's of the world have a harder choice to make.

It's gonna be a weird one considering we still are mid pandemic and new variants of the virus popping up. Japan is having a rise in cases and Korea is in a third and the most severe wave. I wouldn't be surprised if this only gets filmed way later in the year maybe even delayed to 2022. If they are gonna pick the girls now too and it gets delayed I expect we'll have some dropouts.

I think they are rushing this. It'll definitely make money but there is so much uncertainty with the world right now the risk of having something unexpected happen is really high. I don't think the investigation will affect views that much, they will have a hard time getting investors and sponsors, which is a big problem, but they wouldn't have announced this if they didn't have support already.

I guess that all depends on when they start filming, but auditions are just gearing up and I'm sure it'll take a while before everything is set. Produce series are announced towards the end of one year and released months later the next like produce48 was announced on November 2017 and didn't start filming till March and aired in June.

Personally, I think the purpose of making a global audition was that it distanced itself from Produce and Korean labels. So far, they aren't marketing it as a Korean voting programming and having people, signed and unsigned, from other countries in the continent only lessens the chances of Korean labels to push their own act on the show. It seems like they're also covering their asses to make up for the loss of well known companies sending trainees to their shows by exploring the SEA fandom power which is M A S S I V E.

Kpop fans tend to under-estimated them (because kpop is "so much better and bigger") but the reason why alot of Korean groups sell well is because those fans pour money into them and unlike the Billboards and Oricon, Gaon counts all sales from approved websites and stores, not just the ones shipped domestically so everything bought counts. Look at how JYP debuted something for Japan to fawn over in the form of NiziU and they sold over 300k physical album sales in their first week with their debut.

A show like this would basically be Produce Camp 2020 all over again and boooy... did they make money. I was very invested in this program and one of my top 2's fandom collected nearly half a million in American equivalent dollars during the show and unsurprisingly, she got center (you basically bought their way in by buying this sponsored yogurt which around $2 and used the code on it to vote. It had like 3 times the voting power as just using the app and this idea of paying your way in was very much approved by the show and yes, legal) and there were 7 places so you can imagine how much was earned. Not to mention, they also had the contestants themselves star in their sponsored ads which led to fans pouring money into those sponsored fucking items to support.

I bought so much fucking Chinese toothpastes and then found a thai fan who had to ship halfway around the world to the West indies and donated to Feifei and Curley 😩These monsters even had you vote for which girls could get banners all over Beijing, screen time, sponsorships.... I can't imagine how MNET will be.

Top Bottom