sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
MUSIC RECOMMENDATIONS: A BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE
Written by: meltrosz
EYtw-O6-NWo-AAs-Ma-I-jpg-large.webp

A birthday is to be celebrated with friends, so I dedicate this playlist to all the friends I've known before

Hello, HallyuPlus! As you can tell from the title, today is my birthday, and I would like to celebrate it in a special way together with every one of you. Although it's my birthday, this day shouldn't be about me, but instead, the friends who have supported me through all this time. And so, I asked my closest friends to suggest two songs each that they would like for me to hear, and I wrote my thoughts on them in this article, and hopefully, some of my friends' favorite songs will be added to your playlists. None of them knew who were the other friends I asked, which artists or songs were suggested, or what my thoughts on their suggestions were until today when this has been published. In short, it's a surprise birthday party!

#1- EXID - 'I LOVE YOU' (suggested by: @Frandae)

Read the lyrics here

EXID
released this single one and a half years ago, in November 2018, and it holds a special place in many fans' hearts as it is the group's first song following Solji's return from her hiatus. Being a complete newbie to EXID, I expected myself to only pay attention to Hani throughout the music video. But contrary to my expectations, the one that captured my attention was Jeonghwa, especially during the short choreography snippets. I found myself focusing on her, as well as Hani, throughout the eccentric and colorful music video. Nevertheless, I loved everybody's acting in the music video, which evoked a few laughs from me with how goofy they all were. I loved not only the music video but also the song itself, especially the repetitive robotic riff in the verses, the melodic chorus, and the mesmerizing choreography. I'll be sure to listen to this song over and over again because of the catchy intro and chorus.

cake-poster.png

#2- ONF - 'WE MUST LOVE' (suggested by: @Lucia)

Read the lyrics here

ONF
is one of my friend's favorite groups that many people sleep on, but it is my hope that featuring this song in this article will be an avenue for them to gain even just one additional fan. I particularly liked the colorful aesthetics in the music video, which is set in two contrasting places: a historical ruin and a hi-tech scientific building. I liked the song as a whole and I think it's very catchy, especially the first part of the chorus ― although I have mixed feelings about it. I really liked the vocals during that part, but I wasn't a fan of the instrumentation that went with it. Nevertheless, I know that instrumentation plays a big part in why that section is so catchy. Maybe several listens later, I will learn to love that sound as well.

cake-poster.png

#3- SOJUNG - 'CRYSTAL CLEAR' (suggested by: @Galaxy)

Read the lyrics here

"Crystal Clear" is the first track in Ladies' Code Sojung's first properly promoted release, "Stay Here". This R&B/soul ballad was able to perfectly showcase Sojung's vocals, and in return, she was also able to let the listeners feel the loneliness and despair of the song's lyrics. Most of the music video was in black-and-white with some occasional imageries of a forest and the angry ocean, which may represent the inner turmoil or fear within one's heart. Towards the end, everything becomes colored, which may represent acceptance, resolve, or hope. Overall, there wasn't a lot going on with the music video, and this allows viewers to focus on Sojung's singing, which is full of emotions especially during the climactic chorus.

cake-poster.png

#4- BTOB - 'HOPE YOU'RE DOING FINE' (suggested by: @bumbers)

Read the lyrics here

BtoB
released "Hope You're Doing Fine" as the second track to their fifth extended play, "Move", in September 2014. This R&B ballad opens up immediately with the chorus and its verses are rapped rather than sung, both of which are styles I rarely hear from a K-Pop song, much less a ballad. However, in spite of it being a style I've never heard before, I liked it instantly. I also rarely hear high-quality B-sides such as this from K-Pop; a lot of thought and development seems to have been put into this song's composition. I don't usually listen to R&B, but BtoB's song of reminiscing the days with one's first love was able to easily slide into my heart with their mellow and beautiful vocals.

cake-poster.png

#5- FAKY - 'ANTIDOTE' (suggested by: @Aerith)

Read the lyrics here

"Antidote" was released by the Japanese girl group FAKY in October 2019 and is the second of a dance song trilogy based on the theme of "girl power". I don't really listen to a lot of J-pop, with SCANDAL and the 48/46 groups being the closest to any exposure I've had to the genre, but this song is nowhere near to any of the aforementioned groups' musical style. In fact, if not for the Japanese lyrics, I would have assumed this was a K-pop song, which is probably why it felt familiar and welcome to my ears. It makes use of a repetitive intro and chorus, as well as a catchy beat, that gets stuck in your head. The music video and lyrics also perfectly depict the message they want to convey ― women empowerment.

cake-poster.png

#6- VIXX - 'ERROR' (suggested by: @Aerith)

Read the lyrics here

The moment I heard the intro to this song, I immediately thought it was familiar ― maybe VIXX sampled it from somewhere, or this song is probably so iconic it was used in all sorts of media. Either way, hearing something familiar made it much easier to digest this song than if it was a completely new sound. After hearing the intro and the verses, you'd immediately assume this was a ballad, but it actually becomes a lot more upbeat and dynamic towards the chorus. I personally did not like the verses but the chorus was incredibly good and made up for it. Watching the music video also gives a completely new meaning to the song. It is a very compelling story with lots of twists and a dramatic ending; it's almost as if watching a short film.

cake-poster.png

#7- B.A.P - 'REWIND' (suggested by: @miatheikonic)

Read the lyrics here

To be honest, I've never heard a B.A.P song in my entire life before this, but "Rewind" totally made me fall in love with them. I never expected to like a jazzy ballad as much as I did with this song, but something about their style is just magical. I like how the instrumentation in the background remained consistent throughout the song, which also meant that the song did not have a lot of room to make variations. Nevertheless, each section manages to offer something fresh which helps in making this a song that doesn't feel dull even after a few listens. I don't really like rapping in ballads, but it wasn't domineering in this song, so it wasn't that intimidating for me to listen to.

cake-poster.png

#8- RYEOWOOK - 'DRUNK IN THE MORNING' (suggested by: @Galaxy)

Read the lyrics here

As a part of the legendary vocal sub-unit K.R.Y, I had a lot of expectations from hearing Ryeowook sing for the first time, and I was not disappointed. A ballad is a perfect way to highlight his singing, and it didn't take long for him to show us what he's made of. The chorus is full of emotions and very climactic. The verses also do not lack emotions and act as the perfect complement to the soulful chorus. The end of the song was somewhat abrupt, which left me wanting more. The music video was also very colorful, yet dark at the same time, and I couldn't keep myself from watching. I could easily follow the story of the song through the music video even though I can't understand the lyrics. It perfectly conveys the intense emotions of the song, which makes it a very good music video for me.

cake-poster.png

#9- KODA KUMI (FEAT. TVXQ!) - 'LAST ANGEL' (suggested by: @bumbers)

Read the lyrics here

In November of 2007, Japanese singer Koda Kumi collaborated with the South Korean boy group TVXQ! to release her 38th single "Last Angel". Having been released almost thirteen years ago, it is evident from the music video and the musical style just how old it is. The music video has an apocalyptic theme as a nod to the song being the theme for Japan's release of Resident Evil: Extinction. It also has a futuristic concept from the chrome-colored outfits donned by TVXQ. Musically, it sounds just like many of the K-pop/J-pop songs released during this period, which feels fresh and a nice break from today's EDM-influenced songs. Although it is nice to listen to from time to time, I think it lacks the hook that the present day's songs focus on. On the one hand, it means it has no weak section, but on the other hand, it's also not particularly memorable for me.

cake-poster.png

#10- BOA - 'WOMAN' (suggested by: @Frandae)

Read the lyrics here

"Woman" is the eponymous title track of BoA's ninth Korean studio album. At the time of its release in October 2018, I remember it was much anticipated by everyone because it was the singer's first Korean full-length release since 2015 and also because of the women empowerment message of the song. I never got the chance to listen to it when it first came out, and I only managed to do so today. Although I understand and support the song's message, the music itself was not to my liking, to be honest. It's a style that's very unfamiliar for me and may take me a long time to adapt to it. Nevertheless, I liked the aesthetics of the music video a lot, especially the various outfits everyone had throughout.

cake-poster.png

#11- FTISLAND - 'WIND' (suggested by: @Lucia)

Read the lyrics here

I actually first heard "Wind" in a short cover by a friend, so I was excited to hear how good FTIsland's original version must sound. Although Hongki's singing is extremely good and not to be underestimated, after hearing my friend's cover that was subdued and tried to blend with the instrumentation, I found the original to sound too powerful and overbearing. I really appreciate Hongki and FTIsland in this song, but I have to admit that I loved the cover I first heard much more, maybe partly due to the fact that it was purer and easily resonated with me in a span of one minute. Nevertheless, I still love FTIsland's version and it also has its own charms, like Hongki's monstrous and emotional vocals. This is easily one of my favorite ballads in this list, maybe even among all Korean ballads I've heard.

cake-poster.png

#12- DAEHYUN - 'BABY' (suggested by: @miatheikonic)

Read the lyrics here

As I've mentioned before, I have never heard a B.A.P song before today, but a friend has made me listen to one of Daehyun's songs before ("
You") so I already knew he's a good singer and balladeer. However, Daehyun totally surprised me with "Baby". Musically, it's just like any other ballad, but it's also why it already feels familiar for me and makes it easier for me to like it. The simplicity also highlights Daehyun's singing better. It starts ordinarily in the beginning, but he completely releases everything towards the end, making it a fantastic finish. Visually, the whole music video was just showing Daehyun on an empty stage with no audience, but because of the different camera angles and cinematography, it was not boring to watch. Nevertheless, because nothing really happens, it lets the listener focus on the music rather than the visuals.

And that brings me to the end of my birthday celebration! Hopefully, some of my friends' favorite songs made it to your playlists. Sadly, H+ only allows twelve YouTube videos in one post, so I could not ask all of my friends for a suggestion. Nevertheless, I would still like to thank them with all my heart. I have actually never listened to any of these in my entire life, and I discovered I have been sleeping on many beautiful songs and artists. Of course, there are also some songs that were not to my taste, but I hope someone here will like those songs. Nevertheless, I'm very grateful for this article and all my friends who took some time from their busy day to decide between their favorite songs on which to feature here. I hope everyone feels the same way I do!

YOUTUBE PLAYLIST

PROOFREAD BY: @Dragon of the West
GRAPHICS BY: @meltrosz

Last edited by a moderator:

miatheikonic

✶ Zactheik💍nic ✶ VIP+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭200
You found a way to include You :sejeongcry: I am so happy you liked both of my songs :sejeongcry: no one can say anymore that I don't promote my faves lmao

Anyways happy birthday again :heartublob:

sexy cutie

N.FIA / BABY / DEOBI / FOREVER / MYDAY / ONCE Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭1,376,100
You found a way to include You :sejeongcry: I am so happy you liked both of my songs :sejeongcry: no one can say anymore that I don't promote my faves lmao

Anyways happy birthday again :heartublob:
of course. You deserve to be promoted :sejeongcry: and thanks a lot again :heartpar::heartpar:
Have a great day!
Best wishes for a Happy Birthday.
happy birthday dude! :sip:
thank you all :weep:listen to the songs while y'all are here:heartublob:

btw @Jibang is the spinning par your donor stamp? it's so cuteee

Top Bottom